are bagged salads LESS convenient?

Options
2»

Replies

• luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    Before they seal the bag they actually fill it with some kind of chemical to keep it fresh, as soon as contact with air is made it goes down hill really quickly.

http://www.modifiedatmospherepackaging.com/Applications/Modified-atmosphere-packaging-fruit-vegetables.aspx

My local supermarket sell leaves that are still 'alive' in soil (sounds odd but it works) you just put it in the fridge and pick the leaves as required. Its stays fresh for ages!

That sounds interesting - I'm going to have to check my supermarket for this! Right now, it's not an issue because I grow my own lettuce, but in the fall/winter, I'll have to consider this option.

Thanks!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh spinach in bags and usually take it out of the bag and put it into a sealed container, like someone else suggested. My husband and I go through it like water though so it usually can't go bad before we eat it! I would double check the date on the bag -- the closer expiration dates are usually at the front of the shelf, so you gotta dig back a little ways to find fresher ones. I can get to the expiration date and a few days beyond, generally (and I tend to buy it 7-10 days before expiration)

Also, check to see what the humidity setting in your fridge is like. I have a crisper I keep mine in and I think low humidity is for veggies and high is for fruit (could be the other way around), but look into that as well.