Diet Coke Consumption

Options
What is everyone's opinion on Diet Cokes? I have had people tell me this can affect my weight, but I am unsure how since it has no calories or fat. I am getting my recommended water intake daily, so can a daily diet drink keep me from losing?

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke every day and have lost 28 lbs.
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I still drink diet cokes and it doesn't seem to have an effect on my weight loss. I have heard some people say that they feel more cravings after having a diet drink, so if that applies to you, it might have an effect if you give in and have something off your usual plan. I'd say do some experiments and find out if it's an issue for you or not.

~~Veronica
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I drink Coke 0, but I have heard the caffeine can cause water retention and the calorie free sweetener makes your body crave sweets so when you go off of it you will still crave something sweet.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I drink probably a 6 pack a day and think my organs are slowly pickling.

Weight loss aside, it's probably a good habit to kick :smokin:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i drink 1 can (330ml) per day, but try not too have any more than that. i am thinking of trying to wean myself off it given how much chemical crap it contains, but generally i dont think 1 can does too much harm.
  • DK30096
    DK30096 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    as of today I have given up diet coke. I think it effects people differently. I have read it can hold water weight in and that some of the chemicals in it can react different in peoples body that can make you burn less calories. I'm stopping all together just to see if it helps me lose some weight. IT's not good for me anyway so it will at least help me with my goal on a truly healthy life style! But i LOVE diet coke so I know it may be pretty hard!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think its because they are very high in sodium which can make you retain water.

I drink them but have a glass of water first then make them last.
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    I personally think it depends on the individual. From my non-nutritional background, my understanding is that artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking that it is tasting something sweet. However, when it doesn't actually get something that is sweet, it makes up the difference in glucose. This can actually prevent you from losing weight. (If I don't have that nutritional info correct, some one please correct me. This is just from what I have read/remember)

That being said, my roommate who as also lost a bunch of weight, drinks diet coke like water and is fine.

I have cut out diet soda and noticed a huge difference. Feel much better, and have lost weight.

So, I think it depends on the person.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke 0, but I have heard the caffeine can cause water retention and the calorie free sweetener makes your body crave sweets so when you go off of it you will still crave something sweet.
    Caffeine is a diuretic so it will make you pee. A Coke has about the same amount as a cup of coffee.
    If you want it, drink it. If you completely remove things from your diet, you are more likely to crave them. Moderation is a good thing. Remember, you are making long term changes.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    Ive lost 37 lbs and I drink diet coke almost every day..its a bad habit but I'm working on it lol
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think its because they are very high in sodium which can make you retain water.

I drink them but have a glass of water first then make them last.

sorry, but it's one of LOWER amts of sodium I take in during the day(staring at a can right now, it's 40mg)
  • archai46
    Options
    I'm not aware of diet coke having any effect (either positive or negative) on weight loss. It does contain caffeine, which is a diuretic and also contains phosphotic acid (as to most colas) which has been linked to kidney stones.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    All this talk of Diet Coke makes me want to go drink one. lol

I don't think it makes any difference for me, but everyone is different. You just have to watch yourself and see what happens basically.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Toss out the sodas and drink water. You can do water with some low calorie crystal flavorings if you want, but I would steer clear from high calorie drinks. Make sure its low to zero calorie. I have some berry flavorings that have zero calories and I have gatorade G2 low calories mix. I try to at least have one or two large glasses of pure water to one flavored. Studies have shown diet sodas actually make you FATTER than regular sodas...
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with Diet Rite (no sodium or caffine) but I don't really drink it that often. I'm one of those peeps that LOVES water and drink it all day long.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I drank Diet Dr. Pepper everyday. When I stopped I lost about 15 pounds with no extra effort (and quickly). There's lots of studies but regardless it simply worked for me!

It has something to do with the body thinks it's getting sugar and when it doesn't it stops burning the other sugars properly. Messes with your insulin production.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I was a diet coke addict and gave it up cold turkey 2.5 years ago. I don't miss it at all and I feel so much better. I did b/c of the chemicals in it. The aspertaine to be exact. It's just horrible for you. I started drinking seltzer water to curb the fizzy drink thing. I rarely ever drink that anymore either. I'm a straight water/wine person. :) Good luck with your decision.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love diet Coke but because of all the negative stuff I have read, I have cut it down to usually only one per day (used to be 3 or 4 lol). Still managing to lose while drinking it and can't really see how something with no calories can affect weight loss. I know its not the healthiest thing but its like anything else "bad" surely, you can eat it and so long as you stay within your calories you can still lose weight?
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke every day and I have lost 40 pounds...but I think the health issue is it is not a good thing for you as if you are drinking this you are not drinking water....but I drink DC and water all day long....
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you're switching from regular cokes to diet, it's a good thing, but at some point it's probably beneficial to cut out the diet cokes, except for special occasions. When I stopped drinking my twice daily diet cokes I had more energy, less migraines, AND when I did get the occasional migraine it was less painful!