Hungry feeling after veggies!

Options
This is so annoying. I had a small calorie lunch today so I supplemented with a small side salad with ranch dressing. However by the time I finished eating my salad I felt hungrier than I did before I started eating it. But this also happenes if I eat raw carrots and other raw veggies. So now all I want to do is eat...luckily I don't have anything here to eat and I don't have any money to buy anything so that will keep me away from junk...but ugh now I am not going to be able to concentrate on my work!

Replies

• QueenFatso
    Options
    That has happened to me too -- but drink water!! It will fill you up a little bit and help the fiber you ate in the veggies to absorb the water and maybe help you to feel fuller? I always say water is the key to dieting because it helps flush your system all day long. Good luck - hope it's helpful...
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    This is so annoying. I had a small calorie lunch today so I supplemented with a small side salad with ranch dressing. However by the time I finished eating my salad I felt hungrier than I did before I started eating it. But this also happenes if I eat raw carrots and other raw veggies. So now all I want to do is eat...luckily I don't have anything here to eat and I don't have any money to buy anything so that will keep me away from junk...but ugh now I am not going to be able to concentrate on my work!

Carrots usually help me with lots of water....but also Fiber One bars help fill the gaps when I'm ridiculously hungry.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Me tooo! Drives me bananas! I eat a sald and am hungry an hour later
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me too -- but drink water!! It will fill you up a little bit and help the fiber you ate in the veggies to absorb the water and maybe help you to feel fuller? I always say water is the key to dieting because it helps flush your system all day long. Good luck - hope it's helpful...

water does this to me!! i instantly feel more hungry, my stomach even growls!! grrr
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Some vegetables are harder to digest when they're eaten raw, so maybe you could add some cooked veggies to your salad if that's what you like to have for lunch. I like cooking carrots, beets, and other root vegetables, but I eat leaves and sprouts raw. Make sure you eat some good-quality fat with veggies, too, because it helps your body assimilate the nutrients more easily. Maybe a boiled egg (with the yolk!), some bacon grease, or some veggies cooked in butter. Fat keeps you feeling full longer, too. Even my moods when I eat enough fat!
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    Try adding a couple of strawberries, raw unsalted nuts, or some avocado to your salad & skip the MSG in the ranch dressing. MSG makes you want to eat! So unfair & sneaky. A little healthy fat tells your brain that you are full.
    Hope this helps~
    V~
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    oops - meant to say that "even my moods IMPROVE when I eat enough fat."
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Find the veggies jam-packed with fiber and fill with nutrients anyway you can, then drink water before, during and after. (My goal is usually 8-16 ounces before eating, then 8-16 during and after. I stopped buying Iceberg lettuce and replaced with romaine and spinach. I also like to add beans (black beans are one of my faves) to get a little bit more of a filling alternative.

One of my favorite low-cal lunch is a can of green beans (low sodium), fat free cottage cheese, and whatever other veggies I have handy. It fills me up (fiber in the green beans) and I use the cottage cheese like a dip for the other veggies. (I got if from here: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/)
  • Car0lina82
    Options
    I know you said this happens to you when you eat raw vegetables, but have you considered that the culprit may actually be the ranch dressing?
    Dressings tend to be very high in fat, sodium and sugar. Both fat and sugar create a feeling of wanting to eat more (hence some people's addiction to fast food). Sodium-- aside of an array of negative effects on the body-- makes us thirsty, meaning it's also a possibility that you're confusing thirst with hunger.

Either way, if I were you I'd steer clear from dressings altogether because they don't bring anything good to your body. Opt instead for extra virgin olive oil with a bit of balsamic vinegar and a squirt of lime juice.
    Cheers!
  • egorestanley
    egorestanley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. Water is a great "filler". If you can, drink a full glass 10-20mins before you eat-even before snacks. If you want an extra digestion bonus, add some lemon juice. It's a natural digestion aid plus you get a boost of Vit. C -great for and afternoon "pick me up".
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is cheap. Eat a small spoonful, it should tie you over for bit.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is cheap. Eat a small spoonful, it should tie you over for bit.

That I do have on hand LOL

I love all the suggestions, water & peanut butter I can do today...the rest I had no access to today.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Find the veggies jam-packed with fiber and fill with nutrients anyway you can, then drink water before, during and after. (My goal is usually 8-16 ounces before eating, then 8-16 during and after. I stopped buying Iceberg lettuce and replaced with romaine and spinach. I also like to add beans (black beans are one of my faves) to get a little bit more of a filling alternative.

One of my favorite low-cal lunch is a can of green beans (low sodium), fat free cottage cheese, and whatever other veggies I have handy. It fills me up (fiber in the green beans) and I use the cottage cheese like a dip for the other veggies. (I got if from here: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/)

I don't always use dressing...sometimes I eat them by themselves and still gives me the same effect.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me after eating raw carrots or an apple. I have learned to eat them with something else, like a sandwich or some crackers or even a little PB. Otherwise I have horrible indigestion and feel like I need more food. The only way salads will stick with me is if they have some grilled chicken and cheese in them.
  • cinderella29292
    cinderella29292 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ive got da same problem :( so ­­wat i do is to make sure i include some lean protein like chicken breast n fish (tuna is a good choice) or beans along ­wit da salad n some healthy fat like nuts, seeds or olive oil, all flushed ­down wit a cup of ­water n i doubt u can feel any hunger at all :D Just try not to eat carbs alone even its only veggie :)