heart

Options
So as I'm hanging out on the treadmill today for my mid-day tread, I decided to use the "heart rate" feature, as I've ordered a polar F6 but it has yet to arrive...well, I expected my heart rate to fairly high as I was walking rather quickly on an incline, about 160 is what the little chart told me my target for high impact cardio, and much to my surprise, it was WAY above that. I'm talking it was 190.

Now, I'm 21 years old, in fairly good shape....what is my heart rate doing at 190 walking at a 4.3 mph pace? Is this normal?
I began thinking, what if I was going 4.5...? I'm not afraid to push the limits in the gym or outside running, but I didn't realize how easily my heart rate could jump.

basically what I'm asking is, is this normal? It doesn't seem normal to me.

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So as I'm hanging out on the treadmill today for my mid-day tread, I decided to use the "heart rate" feature, as I've ordered a polar F6 but it has yet to arrive...well, I expected my heart rate to fairly high as I was walking rather quickly on an incline, about 160 is what the little chart told me my target for high impact cardio, and much to my surprise, it was WAY above that. I'm talking it was 190.

Now, I'm 21 years old, in fairly good shape....what is my heart rate doing at 190 walking at a 4.3 mph pace? Is this normal?
    I began thinking, what if I was going 4.5...? I'm not afraid to push the limits in the gym or outside running, but I didn't realize how easily my heart rate could jump.

basically what I'm asking is, is this normal? It doesn't seem normal to me.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I can't help you but am hoping somebody can :) I wondered about that as well.
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm surely no doctor but that does seem pretty high for your age if you exercise regularly. I've heard the heart rate monitors on treadmills/elliptical machines are not as accurate as they are on the personal HRM's. If I was you I would check again when your montior comes in. If you find your heart rate to stay high like that I would probably call you doctor and see what kind of exercising they recommend.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I guess I didn't take into account that a machine could be wrong!!:noway: :noway: haha
    Apparently it's also just as important as to how quickly your heart rate decelerates after the intensity is turned down, and I watched that too, and it went down to about 160 after a couple of minutes at a slow pace...so that's encouraging.

I guess I'll just wait for my HRM and then see if I should seek expert advice. Thanks very much!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm surely no doctor but that does seem pretty high for your age if you exercise regularly. I've heard the heart rate monitors on treadmills/elliptical machines are not as accurate as they are on the personal HRM's. If I was you I would check again when your montior comes in. If you find your heart rate to stay high like that I would probably call you doctor and see what kind of exercising they recommend.

Sounds high to me too, unless you were about to fall out on the floor. Maybe try a different machine next time and see how it reads... until your HRM gets here.

Also, check your own pulse and see if you get the same results.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate was actually that close to your max you'd have felt light headed, dizzy, overheated, perhaps been quite red in the face, and you would've been totally out of breathe... so, my "guess" is that the machine was not correct.
    However, if you notice this as a pattern you'll definitely want to bring it up to a licensed medical professional.