Sharing my recipe for egg "muffins".. yummy!

Options
Starlage
Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
A couple of months ago I read on a topic where someone talked about making egg "muffins" on the weekend then heating them up as an easy but healthy breakfast during the week.... genius!! I made up a recipe and want to share because it's YUMMY and easy for breakfast! It's basically like a quiche minus the pastry and tons of cheese to make them healthier.

10 large eggs
1 cup milk (i used 2% to keep the eggs creamy and fluffy)
-chopped veggies of your choice, about 2 cups worth. I used:
1 whole orange bell pepper
1/2 large zucchini
1/2 portobello mushroom cap
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
3 slices thick-cut ham lunchmeat
1/2-1 cup low fat part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

-chop all of your veggies pretty small and fry them on the stove with cooking spray until soft/tender to your liking. chop the lunchmeat into small squares (~1/4 inch)
-preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 12 muffin pan with cooking spray really well
-in a large mixing bowl crack your 10 eggs and add the 1 cup milk and whisk until really well blended so that the yolks/whites/milk are all combined.
-add veggies, lunchmeat and cheese to egg mixture and mix/ fold in with a spoon until evenly distributed through eggs.
- using a ladle fill each muffin cup to the top with egg mixture (i had to also use 1 ramekin and ended up with 13 muffins in the end)
-bake at 325 degrees 20-25 minutes, until eggs are cooked thoroughly (they'll rise up a little and the top won't be shiny anymore, will also be lightly browned.
-cool completely then individually wrap in saran wrap and store in a ziplock bag or tupperware container in the freezer. Take out a few at a time to keep in the fridge to heat up in the morning for a quick and easy breakfast!

makes 12-13 muffins, when prepared as above with 2%milk each of them is 90 calories, 3 carbs and 5 fats pair a couple of these in the morning with whole wheat toast and you've got quite a hearty breakfast!

It surprised me how satisfying they are so I had to share!

Replies

• 1luckygal
    1luckygal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Would have never thought about doing that! THANKS for sharing!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • salmoninthebeak
    Options
    This sounds great!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You can do the same with pretty much any crustless quiche recipe! I have a favorite crustless spinach quiche recipe that I cook up in this way. Freezes really well too.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Great idea! :flowerforyou:
    How long can you keep them frozen and fresh? I think i'll make half the recipe and just bake more often :happy:
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    These are super good, I make them alot.

I actually use the lunch meat as the muffin liner when I bake mine. The edges get crispy and it holds everything together! :)
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    bump!
  • GypsyRose25
    Options
    bump
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    looks yummy!!
  • Starlage
    Options
    These are super good, I make them alot.

I actually use the lunch meat as the muffin liner when I bake mine. The edges get crispy and it holds everything together! :)

oooo I like that idea!! thanks! i think because of the amount of milk I put in maybe- they held together REALLY well- very quicke-like in denseness.
  • Starlage
    Options
    You can do the same with pretty much any crustless quiche recipe! I have a favorite crustless spinach quiche recipe that I cook up in this way. Freezes really well too.

Yeah that's pretty much what it is :o) so easy! I wish I'd have thought of it on my own! I had to get the idea from someone else!
  • Starlage
    Options
    Great idea! :flowerforyou:
    How long can you keep them frozen and fresh? I think i'll make half the recipe and just bake more often :happy:

Hmm... I don't know yet!! I'd think at least a month or so? But I figure making them on the weekend, a double batch will last a couple of weeks of breakfast so really they're only being frozen for a couple of weeks at a time. in the fridge I wouldn't think past a few days?
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yumm
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I read this idea a while ago too and have modified it for my diet plan, which includes plenty of egg whites but less egg yolks. These are totally terrific for "on the go" breakfast - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work!

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

Chopped onion (I prefer the red/purple onion), garlic, red bell pepper, cooked broccoli and/or spinach (usually both!), "fake" sausage (I like Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - I use 4 patties, they are small). I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following: 4 whole eggs, 1 1/2 cups "All Whites" (carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs), 10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk.

Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until eggs are cooked through, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. BEFORE I take 'em out I put the broiler on for 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

Yum!

:drinker:

Ice
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Starlage
    Options

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

go point! two eggs a day does have quite a bit of cholesterol :ohwell: but at least the rest of my diet's good and I dont have a family history of cholesterol issues. Maybe I'll switch to half eggs white only and half whole eggs next time. Thanks for pointing that out!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

go point! two eggs a day does have quite a bit of cholesterol :ohwell: but at least the rest of my diet's good and I dont have a family history of cholesterol issues. Maybe I'll switch to half eggs white only and half whole eggs next time. Thanks for pointing that out!

There is absolutely no correlation between egg consumption and high cholesterol. But if you have an issue with cholesterol, you may be advised to limit egg yolk consumption. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've come to find that, for myself, increased protein assists in my weight loss. Using mostly whites with a few yolks makes this recipe high in protein and lower in fat. I'm also following the 17 Day Diet, which recommends no more than 2 whole eggs per day - egg whites can be eaten without limitation. I sometimes like a hard-boiled egg for a snack, so by making these egg "muffins" with limited yolks I can enjoy a hard-boiled egg later in the day as well.

As far as egg yolk consumption related to cholesterol levels - please read this from the Mayo Clinic:

"Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, and a diet high in cholesterol can contribute to high blood cholesterol levels. However, how much the cholesterol in your diet can increase your blood cholesterol varies from person to person.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
    If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol intake to less than 200 mg a day.

One large egg has about 213 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites. If you want to reduce cholesterol in a recipe that calls for eggs, use two egg whites or 1/4 cup (59 milliliters) cholesterol-free egg substitute in place of one whole egg."
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've read about these in multiple threads recently, so I decided to try them. I made up a similar batch tonight (I only had egg whites, so that's what I used) with the plan of using these for breakfast for the next few days.

I ate one because I still had calories left today, and they smelled so good. Quite tasty. I wish I'd used a little more egg and a little less veggie, and a little more dill. I think cheese would also have been good. Mine had portabella, onion, yellow bell pepper and fresh spinach for the veggies.