Insanity vs. P90x...

Options
Okay here's the thing...I own both of these programs, I bought both in the past before I was serious about them, so I tried a few workouts from both and dabbled a bit but I want to accomplish them both FOR REAL and actually finish....

Now here's where I need your help!!...They are both pretty different types of working out, and for someone who is pretty much a beginner to the hardcore working out which programs do you guys think is best to start with first??? I have no problem pushing myself, when I put my mind to it I can get through it!

Which one to start with?

Replies

• laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm curious what people think too. I've done half of P90x and am actually bored with it-starting Insanity tomorrow!
  • DanaM810
    DanaM810 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do you have weight to lose? Either way, I would start with Insanity. All the plyometrics are going to get your endurance to sky rocket and it will slim you down as long as you're following a diet as well. From there, then I would do P90x. That will tone you up even further.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Start with P90X. Building muscle first will help you burn the rest of the fat off when you do Insanity. Plus, doing plyo with P90X will get you "ready" for the type of workouts that come with Insanity.

edited to add: I LOVE Insanity. LOVE it. It's exciting and hard and sweaty. However, I think P90X is better to start with.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would go with P90X, then Insanity as I believe Insanity is harder.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    with insanity, i feel like there are no ~stop for a second, catch your breath~ breaks. its definitely for people with a lot of energy, make sure you eat the right amount of carbs before an insanity workout!!!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i am very much enjoying insanity. I am not by any means in great shape but i am hangng in there, i like it because thee is no equipment required, so i can do it at lunch time at work .
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity last week and love it. I haven't tried P90X so I can't really speak to that point. Insanity is exactly what the title says, insane. But you feel so amazing after finishing. I've never sweated more in my entire life. I thought I was pushing myself at the gym before, and have realized that my previous workouts aren't even in the same world. I'm already noticing improvements in my physical conditioning after one week!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    P90X then Insanity....Insanity is much much harder, and P90X will get you in the right mindset for it!
  • Blessed917
    Blessed917 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Today after work I am starting the Insanity. I have had it for a while but just decided since being on MFP and talking to people I will do it. If you start it today we could pretty much do it together. Tonight is only the fit test. Tomorrow starts teh real workout.
  • MommyMP
    MommyMP Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else on here... P90X first! Insanity uses your own body weight for the workouts so if you are not strong enough for it then you have a high risk of injuring yourself from losing good form. P90X concentrates on getting form down first, build muscle up using weights for those that can't hold their own body weight, and then you can go as hard as you want to from then. Once you do the 90 days of that, Insanity should be a great step up and nice change of pace!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    If you are not a P90X grad, then do and complete P90X Classic but take out Kenpo X and replace it with Pure Cardio (Insanity) for the 1st month. The 2nd Month take out Kenpo X and replace it with Max Cardio Conditioning (Insanity). The 3rd Month take out Kenpo and replace it with Max Interval Circuit (Insanity)...now you will be ready for Insanity after P90X!

When you are doing Insanity take out Cardio Recovery & Max Recovery and replace it with Yoga X or any Yoga DVD that last 45 min. to 1 hour if your knees/ankles/legs are feeling shot.

Commit to yourself that you will finish whatever you started and do not skip Yoga X during P90X.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like carlo's suggest.. but I would definitely start with p90x. You really want to build the muscle to support your knee's and arms so you put less stress on your joints and legiments. This was a suggestion from my orthopedic doctor after I tore my ACL.
  • fmrlyhot
    Options
    I did Insanity religiously for the first month, but got a little sidetracked the second. I did notice a little change in my abs, but didn't lose any weight. I have a tendency to get bored doing the same DVDs over and over. I'm going to give it another shot though and add it in after my morning runs.