New to jogging

Options
So, I'm hoping to enter a Triathlon next year (got to learn to swim first though!) but I've started jogging in preparation for it. What's a good pace for jogging? what ratio do you increase your distance by? Any tips?

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So, I'm hoping to enter a Triathlon next year (got to learn to swim first though!) but I've started jogging in preparation for it. What's a good pace for jogging? what ratio do you increase your distance by? Any tips?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hey Shore!

WTG!! :drinker:

1. STRETCH!!!!
    2. Buy a good shoe! A running store examine your gait & assist you with picking out the right shoe. I'd say this should be #1.
    3. A very supportive sports bra!! :embarassed:
    4. Take it slow & eventually you'll build up distance & endurance!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Laine
    Laine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will be helpful--I have used the couch to 5k program. It should come up if you google it. It is a 2 month 5k program that trains using interval walk and run. Maybe you could at least get a few pointers. I hope this is helpful!:flowerforyou:
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    coolrunnings.com- I love the from the couch to 5k run-it is a nice break down of walking and jogging so that you gradually build your endurance in 6 weeks (?? i can't remember). This site was very helpful to me when i started out! Good luck shorerider!
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    coolrunnings.com- I love the from the couch to 5k run-it is a nice break down of walking and jogging so that you gradually build your endurance in 6 weeks (?? i can't remember). This site was very helpful to me when i started out! Good luck shorerider!
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is great! Since you are just starting to run, make sure you get a quality shoe. A local running store should be able to provide you with a gait test and recommend a shoe for you based on that. If they can't, ask around at a few stores, therapy places, or even your doctor to see if they would recommend a place that could do that for you. Another thing you may want to ask about when buying your shoes is a shoe insert called Super Feet. I noticed that when I hit around 150 miles or so on my shoes that I would start to develop shin splints. The next time I went in to buy shoes, the store recommended them and I've been using them ever since.

Another website in addition to coolrunnings.com that you may want to explore is http://www.beginnertriathlete.com. When I started in triathlons earlier this year, this website provided me with a fantastic program to follow. It broke down each workout in detail for you. It also provided a wealth of other information on nuturition, bikes, wetsuits, etc.

Lastly, I found it difficult to keep a written training log because I wanted to see where I went, how long it took, averages, and be able to pull up reports. Mapmyrun.com is a site that will allow you to map your run or bike ride easily. You can track the milage on your shoes and it will alert you when you need a new pair. You also can see all of your workouts on a monthly calendar, which I found to be motivating. The webiste is free for the basic uses and they charge for some things. However, I have never felt the need to pay because everything needed to track and report are free.

Good luck on your training!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have "The Running Room" - do you have that where you are? The big thing I learned from them was to have a short stride, not a long one. I was going far to long, which was wearing me down early on.

Good luck and let us know what you think the triathalon! Train run to bike at first, then switch up bike to run (they call that a "brick" - it is killer!).
    :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have "The Running Room" - do you have that where you are? The big thing I learned from them was to have a short stride, not a long one. I was going far to long, which was wearing me down early on.

Good luck and let us know what you think the triathalon! Train run to bike at first, then switch up bike to run (they call that a "brick" - it is killer!).
    :flowerforyou:

I am already on mapmyride.com, so will use that. The Triathlon link is awesome! I'll have to explore it when I have more time. The couch to 5K thing I've looked at before but was unsure where to start with that plan. I've been biking heavily all summer, and my cardio is good. I jogged 1 mile today on the treadmill and could have gone further but stopped there as time was short and I wanted to do other machines.

No "running room" here but the stride thing is good to know. I have a short stride and was wondering if I needed to work to length it (little legs!); good to know I'll be ok as is.