Heart Rate: How High Is Too High

Options
When I do cardio, if my heart rate is 150 and under, it doesn't feel like I'm working. It's not until I hit the mid 160s to the 170s that I feel the effort and even then it's an easily sustainable effort. The low 180s are not terribly taxing, but I do back off because that's way high in relation to what my "target heart rate" should be, which leads to my question.

If I'm exercising and I feel the effort, but it doesn't feel like I'm going to drop dead or something, does it matter what my heart rate is? Should I make an effort to stay within a certain zone or just back off if my body tells me to?

And yes, I do take my pulse accurately.

Replies

• jessiesue2
    jessiesue2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I read I shouldn't let mine get past 159. When it does, I take a few secs to let it go down. I don't know if what I am doing is right either.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio near the upper range of my max for 20 to 30 minutes, which for me is 180bpm (edit to add, thats the max I go, I do intervals, so on the up swing it's near 180 and on the low swing it's lower). The calculation is 210-age=max heart rate, according to the USA government. Of course, that's just a guideline.

Now, many theories abound about what percentage of the max heart rate is best for fat burn, for cardio improvement, and so on. Personally, I go with "The more calories you can burn in a short time the better" theory. Lots of theories out supporting just about any way you want though :D

But that's just what I do. You are on your own on deciding what you should do.