tattoos and carreer

Options
ak_in_ak
ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
** i feel dumb for spelling career wrong and now I can't change it**
I am thinking about getting a small tattoo on my wrist, it is hard to describe unless you like in Alaska, but it is the image printed on goods that are made here. Feel free to google "made in alaska". Anyways, has anyone had an negaive experience with having visable tattoos on arms and wrists? I plan on going into the banking industry and currently work as an accounting assistant in an office setting. I have one other small tattoo behind my ear and have not had any problems. Am I just being paranoid?

Replies

• Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a visible tat on the inside of my forearm, it's about 5 inches long. I work in upper management in a professional setting and find that when I need to cover it (meetings away from my office) I just make sure to wear a long sleeved shirt. I haven't had a negative comment yet. Can't say for sure what people might be thinking inside, but no one has said anything negative to me yet. :)
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Behind your ear is a lot easier hidden than your arm or wrist. I have a tattoo on each hand & one of my forearm, I just had an interview for a job & they said it would be an issue so I'd have to wear long sleeves. If you're working somewhere really professional, then yes, it may well be an issue but it depends on who runs the place, to be completely honest. Some people are more easy going when it comes to tattoos. Luckily, more & more people are getting tattoos so they're becoming more accepted in the work place but some places are still quite fussy.
    But yeah, it really all does depend on where you're working/the kind of people who run it.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think if it's small, it won't be an issue. Tattoos are much more accepted now than even 10 years ago. It depends on your region, I'm sure, but I think the only ones that cause much problem now are when they cover most of the arm (ie the "sleeves") or a lot of the neck, and especially if they seem to have more violent associations. Yours doesn't seem to have any of those issues.

I have known of a few people who use a watch or bracelet to cover a wrist tattoo when they feel it is important for professional circumstances, so that could be an option, too. Or, a high quality foundation can be used to cover it up when necessary (I use Mary Kay, and I know that their liquid foundation would conceal a small tattoo)
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My friend has a tattoo on the inside of each wrist, they are a treble and bass clef. She has never had any problems, wrist tattoos are easy to hide because you can always wear a watch with a wide wristband and/or a bracelet. Tattoos are becoming more acceptable, but it's still a good idea to be able to hide it if you need to.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    First of all, cute image.

Secondly, the tattoo on my forearm is huge, but I have a smaller one on my right wrist that causes problems because it is harder to hide. Long sleeves cover the one on my arm, but sometime if it gets pulled up, the one on my wrist is visible.

I have had plenty of negative experience with my visible tattoos, but that just might be the part of the country I am in. I can't get a job and I've found that people take me a lot less seriously because I have the visible tattoos. It's a night and day difference, in my experience, depending on whether they know I have the tattoos, don't know at all, or can't see them. I think there is a huge stigma in a lot of places about having tattoos, especially visible ones.

At the very least, I would imagine you would probably have to conceal it in some way, but a rule of thumb for me is to not even bring it up unless they ask first. When you go in for an interview, dress so it is covered.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to get "blessed" on my wrist. I'm a daycare provider so it doesn't make a big issue however I'm not 100% sure I want to do this the rest of my life. I'm worried getting the tat will cause problems in the future. Interested to see what others think.

My hubby's upper arms, back, and legs are covered. However he can cover them for work.

I do have my finger tat done with his name for my wedding ring (My hands swell a lot when I run so I don't like to wear rings). I get a lot of comments but have never heard anything bad.
  • MissMegan3119
    Options
    First of all, I googled it, and that's very cute :) Secondly, I have 7 tattoos, but all our easy to cover up. The only ones that are a little more difficult is one that is on my ankle/foot, and my calf, so obviously skirts are out of the question. Honestly, I really think it depends on the place your working. Some places are more understanding, but I would say the general consensus is visible tattoos should be covered up. Work places are never sure how others will react to them, and would rather not take a chance.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have five tattoos in spots that cannot be seen unless I'm in shorts and a tank top. I would advise against tattoos on places like the hands, neck, and face because it's hard to know who may or may not be offended.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I think it is 100% different person to person. I think two people can see the exact same tattoo and one person will think it is trashy and the other will admire it. But professionally speaking I think tattoos are seen more negatively.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    When it comes to tattoos, I haven't personally experienced anything, but that's because mine is NEVER going to be visible at work. It is on my stomach. If it is visible at work, there's going to be other problems.
    However, I did catch flack for wearing a stud in my nose. Nothing big, just a little clear gem stud. I was pretty uspet over it, especially since my office is pretty casual otherwise.
    I have a friend, though, who has tattoos on the insides of both of her wrists (and a full back piece, but that's usually covered). When she worked in retail, she was told they had to be hidden at all times. She got by by wearing a lot of chunky bracelets on both wrists. Of course, her issue may have been because she worked at a clothing store for middle/high school girls.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I say if you are concerned at all it is probably better to put it in a place where it can be covered. You dont want to limit yourself just because of that. I have 5 tats and they are on my legs, foot, shoulder, and a frog on my upper arem. The frog is usually visible with short sleeves and have never had a problem. I am a teacher and it has not been an issue. Parents and some professionals may be cringing inside, but as far as I can tell, it is fine.

THey are becoming more and more popular, but i would still be cautious of where you place them so that you are not limiting your potential in life. Good luck!!!
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    There's a sacrifice everyone with visible tats has to make. You give up certain jobs or you learn to wear long sleeves when necessary.

Tats are worth the trouble!!

I have a full sleeve and on certain days when I know I have certain meetings, I cover it, even in the summer.

Sacrifice for the ink!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For myself, I like to be able to hide tattoos if i want. A small wrist one could be covered by a watch or wider bracelet if needed (depending on size). and if it's not offensive, and means something to you, then I don't think it should be too much of a problem. Culture is becoming more accepting of tattoos, but I think banking is still a bit more conservative than other areas, so you may run into issues if it can't be covered discreetly.

Call me old fashioned, I think big tattoos all over faces and necks will limit the wearers in a lot of industries. I'm not a fan of tattoos on the back of hands, either. To me, tattoos are very personal and have lots of meaning, and I don't want to necessarily broadcast them to the world at large, I'd rather choose who I share them with.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Four of my tattoos are not only visible but large and I have never had an issue with a company not hiring/reprimanding me for visible tattoos.
  • ilovecreg120809
    ilovecreg120809 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    that is the cutest tattoo :)
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I read an article in a tattooing magazine about arm/hand/wrist tattoos, apparently they are known colloquilly as "everlasting jobstoppers" due to their ability to put off potential employers.

It depends on the type of work you're in - I work in a drug and alcohol service - the very heart of what we do is not being discriminatory so we have people who have alot of visible tattoos, however more professional jobs may be put off by visible ones.
  • ninasparx
    Options
    i have 2 tattoos both on my lower arm near my wrist. My immediate boss doesnt care, but when our district manager comes in to the store once a week i have to wear long sleeves to cover them up or some kind of bandage. so i think it all depends on the management and how they feel about them. good luck
  • shelleilei
    shelleilei Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have both of my inside wrists done and I've never had a problem with them. When I have gone on interviews I wear a big clunky watch on one and some bracelets on the other. After I was hired, they didn't really care.

However, my friends teen sister has one on her wrist and a couple fast food places wouldn't hire her for having one on her wrist so I guess it all depends.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i'd LOVE to get my wrists tattooed .. but i plan on studying marketing & business communication ..

i'm too afraid the tattoos would stop me from reaching my career goals.
  • tsaenz09
    tsaenz09 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm a teacher at a Christian school and I have a heart locket on the inside of my right wrist and it has never been a problem with my employers. If I need to cover it for any reason I just wear a bracelet on that wrist.