Macros for Runners

I know that many people prefer 40/30/30 for weight loss, but I think I read somewhere that for runner's trying to lose macros should be around 50/25/25 and to maintain it should be around 60/20/20. Anyone have any info on this?

Replies

• gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Bump!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    bump so that I can come back to this later... have a few books at home that discuss running diets / macros.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I used 25/50/20 when I was losing weight (C/P/F) and switched to 55% carb when I started running.

Sources were Runner's World and a few books on running.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    From my Runner's World books:

The Runner's Diet - 50% carbs - 25% protein - 25% fat
    This is stated to be "For both weight loss and performance... for the best combination for sustained weight loss, keeping your appetite satisfied, and avoiding postrunning fatigue"
    The caveat is that carbs should be based on fruits and veggies.

Complete Book of Women's Running - roughly 60-65% carbs - 10-15% protein - 25% fat "for those who insist on following numbers"
    This book takes the position "that there are no hard and fast percentages. Rather, balances shift somewhat intuitively based on the demands placed on the body." And, different training phases should adjust the macros (base building, intense training, competition season, and off-season). Higher protein in the "intense training" period.
    In this plan primary carbs should be grain products (the less refined the better), followed by fruits and veggies.
    It should be noted - these macros were not given in the same section as the weight loss discussion, more attention to calories in vs. calories out than the macros.

Not really sure what I think of the two recommendations... still trying to figure out what works best for me in this weight loss journey :huh:
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Necro bump since I've been getting interested in this.

I'd be intrigued to hear what some of the serious runners on MFP have to say about it...
  • rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    I'm a runner, I set my micros at 50/30/20 works for me. Good luck!