how to get the courage to go running? :(

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just go outside to a local park or track. Walk some and run some (as per the C25K program).

here is the original Couch to 5K plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

is available lots of place, but no need to pay for it!

no don't be afraid to get out there
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat -- and feel the same way. I've been working out with a DVD that has light jogging and I've gotten okay at it... and as much as I hate to run, I've felt like I need room and want to take it outside... but I'm afraid I'm going to fall flat on my face or pass out in under 3 minutes "in the real world".

Thanks for posting this topic
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Just go for it! Sure, people may look at you, but you are the one out there doing it! It doesn't matter what the person looks like when I see them out running, I am just immediately like "Yeah! They're out there getting it done!" The runners I'm sure are with me on this one, we don't care if you're walking for 5 minutes and jogging for 1 minute, running 6 minute miles uphill in 90 degree heat, or running 10 minute miles for 5 miles, YOU'RE DOING IT! You may sweat, hell, you may puke in my front yard, but you're running!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and do it. It will make you feel wonderful after you are finished. That is a promise!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Read the book "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. It's a great book on this very subject. If that can't get you out there, I don't know what will.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I just started running a few months ago (I am running 3.5 minutes out of five and do those intervals for 40 minutes at 5mph, so I started relatively simple).

I sweat horribly, but I get really proud of myself when my shirts get wet. That proves to myself that I worked hard and accomplished something. I look at smaller people in the gym who don't sweat at all, and feel that I might have worked harder than them (though I know this is not always true - I don't mean to offend).

My favorite thing about running is how into my music I get. Be sure to look at some of the posts about running playlists.
  • jemoore5975
    jemoore5975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ok, i have a question. i just finished my first day of C25K. Is it normal for your shins to ache during and after? it isn't my calf muscles aching, it is my shins.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I run on my treadmill when its hot and humid outside. I started with running for 1 minute and walking for two. I can now run a little over three miles without stopping. I am much slower outside. Everyone has to begin somewhere. Good luck. :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My advice is do what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy running, don't force yourself. There are plenty of ways to stay active without running.

But if you really think running is for you, get a great set of music. Try this site...
    http://walk.jog.fm/
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I always wonder when I see questions like these what you think when you see other people running looking sweaty and gross?
    I am proud to be one of those sweaty gross people and I can tell you this, I have never looked at someone who is running and thought something negative.
    Running is hard work and I only have admiration for people who have a go at it.
    You dont need courage, you just need to get off your beehind and start.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    ok, i have a question. i just finished my first day of C25K. Is it normal for your shins to ache during and after? it isn't my calf muscles aching, it is my shins.

Normal - yes - good - no - what you have is shin splints and its really common - its caused by 'heal strike' which is basically the impact from when the heal hits the ground. Look here for more, good information

http://www.webmd.boots.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

There are a few things you can do to prevent this.

1) Invest in a good set of trainers. Trainers only last 400 odd miles and if you are a regular runner that is only 4-6 months. They never look or feel like they are worn out until you try running in your new pair!

2) There are running techniques which reduce heal strike - I am personally a fan of 'Chi Running' but there are lots of good books and website out there which offer alternatives. The main thing is this - try an land in the middle of your foot - not your heal!

Generally after I start to get them I have a few days rest, take some ibuprofen, ice pack, hot bath... sorts itself out in no time :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have never looked at someone who is running and thought something negative.

I'm another gross sweaty person, but I have to admit there was a time I thought something negative. :blushing: It was about 90F, and I was just finishing my cooldown walk, and saw some guy was running in a sauna suit. I thought, "Dude is CRAAAAAA-ZEEEEEE!!!!!"
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    I have not read the whole thread, but think of it this way. Who cares if a bunch of people who are sitting on their butt most of the time and gaining weight see you sweaty and working at getting healthy. They should probably be out there doing the same thing.
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    I actually walked for 6 months first - I was walking like 25 miles a week and pushing my time each week. One day I just decided to run, not for distance - for time. I ran for 30 minutes, hell I had been walking for 90 many days. I was amazed how easy it was. And thats how I started running.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have never looked at someone who is running and thought something negative.

I'm another gross sweaty person, but I have to admit there was a time I thought something negative. :blushing: It was about 90F, and I was just finishing my cooldown walk, and saw some guy was running in a sauna suit. I thought, "Dude is CRAAAAAA-ZEEEEEE!!!!!"

lol yeah that is pretty crazy. Dehydration would have to be an issue in that case wouldnt it?
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree with the couch to 5 k people! I started that program and im going to have to repeat the first week, but there is no way that you can look more disgusting when you run than i do! i promise the only thing people think about when they see someone running is how they wish they were in better shape and how they need to run
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I love seeing people out for a run. I think "Wow, how motivated they must be to get outside and do that!" because I'm just not to the point where I can make it very far even at a light jog. I love to go out and walk and I wear my exercise clothes and dorky hand me down tennis shoes, so honestly what's the difference? I need to get over it too, I'm with ya!
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone! Just do it! Put on your iPod and go! I've been running for a few years. Try to have a goal to run a 5k to motivate you. It's a great feeling crossing that finish line! You'll be proud of yourself!:smile:
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K... best way to start out slow and easy so you don't get hurt early on and hate running forever!

I started out doing very little and now I'm training for my second marathon. I used to hate running and now it's a huge part of who I am.... but I love the junk food too much ;)

YOU CAN DO IT! There is a great community out there waiting to meet you. Races are so much fun and runners are generally really nice, laid-back people!