What do you do when you gain back a few pounds?

Options
Ok here is the deal. My body is lame. :/

A few months ago, I went threw a huge plateau that about killed me. For 9 weeks I yo-yo'd between 247 and 258... FOR NINE WEEKS! ugh.. Anyway, I sort of fear that the plateau yo-yo may be creeping back in. (TMI for some) Before my period this month, I weighed in at 235.4..(235 was a major goal for me.. thats the weight I was 7yrs ago before getting preg!). after my period... 241. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Now... this isn't the first time this has happened. But I am curious as to what all of you do? I normally end up not updating my weight again until after I am back down to that weight or below. But right now I am just frustrated. To me, I have still lost 44lbs... What do you guys think? What do you guys do?

Side note: I have been using Sparkpeople for 4yrs... My cals range between 1350 and 1700 and I never ate my exercise cals unless I had to. Even when following Weight Watchers (Old and New) I rarely ate my activity points. I recently joined MFP and am wondering if maybe the program has launched me off course. I am not used to the "exercise cals" being added back in. It can be a lot to get used to. I just yesterday changed my MFP calorie goal from 1260 to 1350 because I felt it would be easier for me to do. Yes an extra 90 cals can make me or break me some days. I hope it helps me...

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am no help, my scale went up 3lbs this week. Scales are very very evil!
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Oh no! They are evil! I agree.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For me, the make or break on whether I lose weight is if I am exercising. And I'm not talking about just a short walk or a few jumping jacks in my living room. I have to actually commit to a workout plan and push myself to the point that I am dripping in sweat. My answer to this has been Jillian Michael's workout videos. Even the short 25 minute workouts get me huffing, puffing and sweaty. I would suggest if you aren't already doing intense workouts to try to push yourself. The more muscle you develop the better your body will be able to sustain your weight loss.

As far as logging gains, I haven't had to do it so far but my rule has always been if I'm not back within 1 lb by my next weigh in that I have to log the gain. I have seen my weight go up during my period but not by that much. Are you eating a lot of sodium? Drinking a lot of water? Water does wonders.

I think if what you are doing now isn't working, you need to try to change it up. As long as you stay focused and committed you will reach your goal and you've already lost 44 lbs so you are obviously committed!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    what do I do? I cuss, I take all the party food in my house to work & give it to my co workers, drink water until I 'slosh' when I walk and start over fresh. s'all you can do
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat your exercise calories - if you've been doing that, try not eating them for a week or 2.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My scale has just tossed the same 3 pounds at me for weeks now. If I keep kicking it, it will have brain damage LOL!
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back - my doctor and nutritionist both said not to. They said that is only necessary when you are tiny and/or exercising excessively.
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    For me it's all in the workouts, too. I am way less hungry and much happier, if I do them. Like REALLY DO them. If I do eat back my exercise-calories or if I just skip them depends on how my day goes. Sometimes I'm a little over, sometimes way under my goal. But in the long run you will make major changes with getting yourself moving :-)

I personally go for the "free" ones on http://www.bodyrock.tv -- she always has new ones on and gives easier variations for beginners. They are killer -- but killer cool.

Good luck!!!
  • raedlewis
    raedlewis Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue! I was losing 2 lbs a week or so until June, when I started switching my baby to formula instead of nursing. I upped my weight loss goal from a pound a week to a pound and a half a week and I've been exercising more regularly instead of like once a week like I was before. Yet I gained back like 2 lbs and I have hovered in that area since. I'm drinking my water, and have gotten strict on my portions and logging (not like when I was nursing), and still nothing! I don't know if it's water weight, hormones, or what.

Also, I always am up a few pounds around period time though. I think that is pretty normal and it takes me a while after to get the water retention back down.

It can be so frustrating! Hang in there, and try not to get too discouraged!
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    cut out some meat.
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hating the scale to. I'm seeing nsv instead. I don't understand why my scale is being evil and the numbers are going the wrong way. They go up and not down.
    :explode:
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what do I do? I cuss, I take all the party food in my house to work & give it to my co workers, drink water until I 'slosh' when I walk and start over fresh. s'all you can do

@wickedcricket - LMBFAO !! I soooo know what you mean :D
  • rdelonga
    rdelonga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hate scales.!!! I need help, I just can't seem to get back on track. I have been doing this since june lost 15 lbs, then gained 3 back. my food diary is just awful and I just don't know what to eat anymore, any suggestions, everyone feel free to look at my dairy.
  • heatheramara
    Options
    Every body is different. My body can gain weight faster than a banker votes himself a pay raise.

Sometimes I gain weight AFTER I go to the bathroom. Seriously. It's a mystery.

What do I do? Take the loooong view. Try not to let it get you off track, and definitely don't eat back your calories.

My favorite thing about this site? "If every day were like today...in five weeks you'd weigh..."
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I gained 6 lbs during/right after my last period. No friggen clue why, I had just dropped 9 like nothing, then back up six. Stuck. Not going down 2 weeks later.
  • Mekob25
    Mekob25 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hey Krystal, I sympathize with you. I can hear your frustration in your post. I agree with what another lady said, if I have a gain and it's still there by the next weigh-in, then I log it.

Try not to worry about those "period pounds". Most everyone gains between 3-5lbs during their time of the month.

If you are taking in a lot of sodium, drink even more water to flush that out.

Most doctors and personal trainers that I've spoken with say do NOT eat your exercise calories.

And as far as your plateau; I had one that lasted three weeks. Mine was because my body had adjusted to the 1000 calories a day I had been eating for the last two months. I found some information on Zig-Zagging my calories. I still stay under my calories for the week, but two days a week I have "Zag" days where I force myself to eat about 200-300 more calories. It keeps your body guessing and stops it from going into that starvation mode.

Here's an example I found online:
    Monday 1512 Cals
    Tuesday 1512 Cals
    Wednesday 1815 Cals
    Thursday 1512 Cals
    Friday 1512 Cals
    Saturday 1664 Cals
    Sunday 1512 Cals

I hope I have been helpful to you. Keep pressing on Sister, You can do this!!! :smile:
  • Lou05
    Lou05 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate scales.!!! I need help, I just can't seem to get back on track. I have been doing this since june lost 15 lbs, then gained 3 back. my food diary is just awful and I just don't know what to eat anymore, any suggestions, everyone feel free to look at my dairy.

i so hear what your saying i am the same to, but i not gonna let this beat me.
  • rdelonga
    rdelonga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lou05, your doing great 36 lbs. I would be in heaven if I could get that much off, at least it would keep me going forward.
    I am just frustrated, but i will not give up.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    WOW! So much great advice and suggestions. Thank you guys so much!! I am starting to really open my eyes and see what things need to be changed. I think there are a few of you that ill be friending soon, I want to pick your brains on things. LOL Thanks again!!!
  • kriddle428
    kriddle428 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this too since my period two weeks ago. I lost 6lbs the week before, then gained 4 back...Its so frustrating. I can't seem to get myself back on track now. I hurt my foot about the same time and I can't barely make it through work so I haven't been exercising everyday like I was before. I've found that no matter how well I eat, if I don't exercise I don't see any loss. I haven't logged my gains, I probably won't. I don't want to see the number go down below 41