problem

Options
I strength train with 5 lb weights for about 10 minutes for 3 days per week. I would say that i do have muscles, not very big, but they are there. My problem is I have trouble doing regular push-ups and I cant do chin-ups, I guess I cant lift my own weight. I weigh 120 lbs. Even though I work out on a regular basis, why am I not able to do those things? How can I train to be able to lift myself up doing chin-ups and regular pushups?

Replies

• lk14040
    Options
    I strength train with 5 lb weights for about 10 minutes for 3 days per week. I would say that i do have muscles, not very big, but they are there. My problem is I have trouble doing regular push-ups and I cant do chin-ups, I guess I cant lift my own weight. I weigh 120 lbs. Even though I work out on a regular basis, why am I not able to do those things? How can I train to be able to lift myself up doing chin-ups and regular pushups?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    When you workout do you do push-ups or chin-ups (even modified ones)???

It's all about the principle of specificity... you can't get better at something that you don't do.

So, I'd recommend adding these things into your regime. For push-ups... bring 'em down to your knees. When you can knock out 20-30 on your knees then start doing some from your toes... do as many as you can from your toes and then bring it back down to your knees and crank out the rest. I'd say try to do at least 3 sets with 1-2 minute break between sets on your strength training days.

For pull-ups... you can modify those by using a chair to step on. So, keep one foot on a chair and let the other hang... use that leg (on the chair) to assit lifting you to the bar... try to use as much body weight as possible. Eventually you may work up to full-out pull-ups... but it may take time. Just keep at it :)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

start doing push-ups- start with modified ones and work your way up to military style- push-ups alone will train those muscles to support your body weight and you will def feel a burn- in your chest back and arms not to mention push-ups benefit your abs to since your holding for stability
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    women don't usually have as much upper body strength as men and they sometimes have problems doing pull ups and push ups, but I agree, all you can do is keep at it, you will build strength. I want a pull up bar installed too, I think it would be great for all over muscle in my back arms chest, etc. My dh hasn't gotten to it yet :wink:

I know I can't do one pullup, but I can do modified pushups, and one or two regular ones.