Nuts..are they REALLY good for you???

Options

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my fav. To me the biggest benefit is that it "cleans" your colon as is goes through.

Do the nut butters do this too or is it only when you consume the whole nuts?

I dunno. I'm tempted to throw in some whole nuts along with the homemade nut butters for an explosive variety.

I've also heard it's good for skin, like facial cleansing or something.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my fav. To me the biggest benefit is that it "cleans" your colon as is goes through.

I dunno. I'm tempted to throw in some whole nuts along with the homemade nut butters for an explosive variety.

I found it to be quite drying... gave my skin a crusty appearance.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

Depends on how much you get on there.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

How much do you recommend? I tried it too, but I didn't measure. I just smeared a load of it on.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

*wonders how many people will actually be rubbing peanut butter on their faces tonight* lol
  • anubis609
    Options

*wonders how many people will actually be rubbing peanut butter on their faces tonight* lol

I think that's a great idea...facial nut butter. Homemade and organic. I think it's marketable.
  • brewingaz
    Options

I think that's a great idea...facial nut butter. Homemade and organic. I think it's marketable.

Totally natural, really.
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options
    I love eating nuts. I even make my own nut butter sometimes at home. It's delicious and packed with protein.

Do you just catch it in a Tupperware?
  • anubis609
    Options

How much do you recommend? I tried it too, but I didn't measure. I just smeared a load of it on.

Without a measuring cup, my guess would be no more than 30 ml. I think anything more than that might be just pleasurably excessive. Then again, I suppose you could just have a glob of it spackled on and lick the rest off once you have a nice sheen.
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options

I can get you a wholesale supplier
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Some of the possible benefits of unrefined nut butter include:

* Evens skin tone
    * Absorbs quickly without leaving greasy residue like mineral oil based products
    * Penetrates deep into the epidermal layer of your skin to help restore elasticity to maturing skin and prevent the cellular breakdown that leads to dry, cracking skin, and stretch marks
    * Stimulates cellular activity, fights the effects of aging and repairs rough, damaged skin
    * Returns natural luster to skin and hair
    * Does not clog pores
    * Revitalizes, softens and maintains skin moisture
    * Aids in the healing of wounds and may improve scars due to its anti-inflammatory properties
    * Used to heal eczema, burns, rashes, severely dry skin, and to lessen the irritation of psoriasis
    * Moisturizes after shaving to prevent irritation
    * Has natural sun blocking powers and may protect skin from sun damage and environmental elements

* Nourishes the hair shaft
    * Moisturizes dry, dull over-processed and heat-treated hair resulting in improved brilliance and manageability
    * Helps prevent weak hair from breaking, fading, or thinning out and may promote hair growth
  • anubis609
    Options

* Evens skin tone
    * Absorbs quickly without leaving greasy residue like mineral oil based products
    * Penetrates deep into the epidermal layer of your skin to help restore elasticity to maturing skin and prevent the cellular breakdown that leads to dry, cracking skin, and stretch marks
    * Stimulates cellular activity, fights the effects of aging and repairs rough, damaged skin
    * Does not clog pores
    * Aids in the healing of wounds and may improve scars due to its anti-inflammatory properties
    * Used to heal eczema, burns, rashes, severely dry skin, and to lessen the irritation of psoriasis
    * Has natural sun blocking powers and may protect skin from sun damage and environmental elements

* Moisturizes dry, dull over-processed and heat-treated hair resulting in improved brilliance and manageability
    * Helps prevent weak hair from breaking, fading, or thinning out and may promote hair growth

I think it makes a great paste for arts and crafts projects too.
  • brewingaz
    Options

* Evens skin tone
    * Does not clog pores

Did you know you can use it for hair gel too?? Not even tested on animals.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love them. I try to avoid canned nuts that have preservatives in them, and I try to go for the kind you see in the bulk food section of the store near the produce. Otherwise, I could care less about fat content. There are a ton of other snacks that are worse, and I like to have some ready to go, crunchy, protein hanging around in my desk drawer for when the craving strikes.
  • anubis609
    Options

* Evens skin tone
    * Does not clog pores

So I've heard. It's like a natural pomade. And per Heather's post, revitalizes and even stimulates hair growth.
  • brewingaz
    Options

* Evens skin tone
    * Does not clog pores

So I've heard. It's like a natural pomade. And per Heather's post, revitalizes and even stimulates hair growth.

Natural Rogaine!
  • anubis609
    Options
    I love them. I try to avoid canned nuts that have preservatives in them, and I try to go for the kind you see in the bulk food section of the store near the produce. Otherwise, I could care less about fat content. There are a ton of other snacks that are worse, and I like to have some ready to go, crunchy, protein hanging around in my desk drawer for when the craving strikes.

This. Pure genius.

Though, I try not to let my protein hang around my desk drawer. Tends to leave lingering odors that attract office rats looking for raw jerky or something.
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options

You're not doing it right.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Another high protein snack is edamame beans. You can buy them fresh or frozen, shelled or non. I use the frozen ones and heat them up and eat them plain. you can use them inplace of peas as well.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    you need fat to lose fat... you just need the good kind of fat. and as far as calories... they are actually not bad. 170 calories in .25 cup of almonds and pair that with some yogurt or cottage cheese and some fruit and you'll be full! and won't eat as many calories as you think. i keep almonds in the house because they are a great filling snack. and they taste yummy<3 :smile: