Early Morning pre work out food

I ve been searching online for ideas on what to eat before early morning workouts. I typically go to the gym between 5:30 -7 am. I use to take a supplement called Jack3d on an empty stomach and then a protein drink after I was done. Now I am off of Jack3d and need some suggestions on what to eat before I go workout. Today I had some eggs and a glass of water. Ideas?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I like to eat a clif bar or a banana 30 min before work out starts.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Dates dipped in peanut butter, banana, or a handful of almonds and raisins mixed.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    I usually do oatmeal/fruit about an hour before I go
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    I heard that carbs are great before you work out.
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    I go to gym at 5:30A , but I wake up at 5:15...LOL, I leave 5 min from gym... sometimes I run to the Gym... and also want to fix my old bike... But I don't want food at all so early. So I eat 1/2 of small banana and drink 1/2 glass of non sugar added almond milk. Bring H20 with me. when I come back I eat some protein, like plain yogurt or f/f cottage cheese or egg + fruits.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    I'm an early bird at the gym, also. All you need are some simple carbs - no proteins or fats, since they take longer to digest and won't be available for energy for your workout.

I eat a piece of fruit (apple, pear, etc.) or a couple of small dates.
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Have you protein drink and a banana. Not sure what type of workout you do, but if it isn't too long that should be enough to get you through it.
  • If you get up that early I also suggest a banana or half of one if you aren't too hungry. If you have a weight lifting/stregth training workout I rrecommend also having it with some oat meal or egg whites (whole eggs are fine too). I have a hard time eating early in the morning when I plan 5 am workouts too, but I have to force myself to eat at least a little something because I've almost passed out durring a workout before. I am no expert but I know you are also supposed to eat within an hour after you finish your workout! :) And I think it should have protein because your muscles can take it in best after a workout! :) Good luck!
  • markeeley
    markeeley Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    For a short workout, muesli and milk with cinnamon on top.
    For a long workout I have porrige with chocolate flavoured protein powder mixed in.

I find I need a snack an hour or so into a longer workout (like hiking or climbing) so I usually keep a cereal bar to hand.