Looking for some advice fellow runners!

Options
So basically I have been serious about running for about a year and a half now, training for a half marathon since January (kept having to push the race back due to weddings), but unfortunately my wallet does not allow for me to really get truly serious. I mean, have a HRM, multiple pairs of running socks, more than one sports bra, constant supply of gu's and chews, good workout attire, you get the picture. Now that I have had a full year of competitive runs and training, I am hoping that it will get across to family and friends that when it comes to christmas and my birthday...all I want is running related gear. I'm not the type to even care about what I get, but man I would love something I would never get myself because I am living paycheck to paycheck. Is that being ridiculous? And if it's not, what's the best way to say please stick to the Runner's wish list? I mainly just want an HRM and some better workout gear since I mainly run in cotton everything. And fellow runners...anyone else in this same boat? Serious about running and passionate just unable to afford what you need to really come full circle?

Replies

• carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I have a little extra money, I hit TJ Maxx for cheap running tights, and it's definitely helped!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.... I am always "looking" never buying that next pair of running shoes or those expensive driFit running shirts, etc. I also ask for running gear for birthdays and christmas. Its hard though for people to buy you running clothing unless they know you really well or you give them very specific specifics. I always just ask for gift cards to local sports or sportswear stores, that way I can use the gift card to go grab some new socks, shirts, shorts, shoes when I need them. Gift cards are the perfect practical gift when it comes to running gear.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Once you wear dry fit clothes, you will never go back to cotton. Definitely put them on your wish list! You can get good quality and reasonably priced clothes at Target and Academy. Good luck and keep running!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • TishaDawnMc
    Options
    I make a lot of jokes about how I look homeless when I'm running... so yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't scrimp on my shoes or bras, but otherwise I am not too picky. Old v-neck tshirts I dont wear become work out t's. In the winter I wear my boyfriend's WAY too-big on me undershirts. I have found some really good deals on running apparel at Ross and TJ Max. Its not a fashion show, but it would be nice to find affordable comfortable gear. I did just discover an Under Armour outlet nearby though...
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You don't need to have the latest models of everything. A used decent HRM won't cost too much and if you shop on outlets you should be able to get pretty good deals on running attire.
    One thing you shouldn't save on is the shoes, what you wear as clothes is not too important but your shoes are 150% important as they will be the ones preventing you from getting injured. Get fitted at a running store and find out about which are the best shoes for your foot type and your pronation.

Happy running.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would go directly to the point and tell people what you want/need. A GC to the sporting goods store you could use to get a new garmin. Also check out skirtsports. I love them (dare I say even better than lululemon for bottoms) - I am wearing one now.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a Target? I get some great running shirts and bras that are wicker sweat from there and sometimes on their clearance. Old Navy is another place.
    runningwarehouse.com is a great website for shoes and clothes as well.
    As far as HRM amazon has the Garmin for sale right now 50% or more off.
    That is what is so nice about running...you need so little. I love the cute stuff from places like lululemon or Athleta but 60 dollars for a shirt or more is crazy even if you have money. We all look like nasty smelly people at the end no matter what you wear. I buy some cute knee high socks when I "race" but other then that..
    As far as telling people. You just have to knock them on the head. or tell them at Xmas or birthday that you really need a watch and you are saving all your money and gift money for a watch..and hopefully they get the hint that you need some cash...but while a Garmin is nice..you dont "need" it..
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far! I didn't even think of gift cards...it will be a hard sell to my mother and my boyfriend's mother but maybe I can convince :-) They hate giving gift cards for gifts but it is much easier. I definitely spend the money on shoes and the bra I do have, and have a couple things from target but they already are wearing with holes! Probably because I wear them so much. I just discovered using deodorant to prevent chaffing on your legs so that has increased my wardrobe to include all my old cheer shorts at least! I am going back to graduate school in the fall and may take a portion of my refund and at least get myself an HRM. I'm glad I am not alone in this. If I could, I would run a race every week and have a different outfit for each time so I didn't feel so gross haha.
  • EzraCCM
    EzraCCM Posts: 47
    Options
    I totally ask for running gear for birthdays and holidays! I never realized before I got into running what an expensive activity it can be (registering for races, buying shoes when they wear out, buying running clothes that don't cling to you and make you miserable)
    I got a really nice running skirt for my birthday that I would never splurge to buy myself.

I know my family/friends aren't really running-savvy, so sometimes I'll hand out a wish list with specifics (Size x running shorts in this brand) or, I'll ask for a gift certificate to a local running store/athletic shop.

Also, I'll save up to treat myself. Every week empty out your change purse and put it into your "running stuff fund". Then, if I reach a goal of mine, I'll take that extra change to help off-set my "treat".

I figure, if it's what you really want, and you'll use it, its worth asking for/ treating yourself once in a while since it's also encouraging a healthy lifestyle!

good luck!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I totally shop sales! My boyfriend usually asks family for gift cards. I second checking out your local sporting goods store--Academy, ****'s, and our locally owned--all carry Under Armour, Nike, Reebok--and, I know that our ****'s is doing a lot of clearance on stuff right now.

ha, D-I-C-K's gets starred out..oh well...
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    And its not about wanting to look cute or anything, I just want to be more comfortable. And have a bit more variety to help with the fact that getting laundry done takes a trip to the mat and a lot of quarters!
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    I totally ask for running gear for birthdays and holidays! I never realized before I got into running what an expensive activity it can be (registering for races, buying shoes when they wear out, buying running clothes that don't cling to you and make you miserable)
    I got a really nice running skirt for my birthday that I would never splurge to buy myself.

I know my family/friends aren't really running-savvy, so sometimes I'll hand out a wish list with specifics (Size x running shorts in this brand) or, I'll ask for a gift certificate to a local running store/athletic shop.

Also, I'll save up to treat myself. Every week empty out your change purse and put it into your "running stuff fund". Then, if I reach a goal of mine, I'll take that extra change to help off-set my "treat".

I figure, if it's what you really want, and you'll use it, its worth asking for/ treating yourself once in a while since it's also encouraging a healthy lifestyle!

good luck!

I am definitely getting worried about my sneakers. SInce I have had to keep pushing back my half, I am hoping they make it until I run it. I used my tax return to purchase two of the same pair after getting fitted at Fleet Feet (one there, the second on Ostock.com) and so far still good but my miles are getting up there! I won't have enough cash to purchase new ones until October at least. I have a change jar as well and save up bottles to bring into the supermarket. But unfortunately for the change jar, you have to spend cash and that's something I rarely do. Gotta love living alone and working hard to stay afloat post college!
  • oh_mg
    oh_mg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I got great running pants at Old Navy - wicking material, a zipper pouch for my ID. They were only $20-25, I think, but they go on sale all the time, sometimes for half that price!

I save up my change and bring it to the Coinstar machine, it counts coins for free when you get the money put on gift cards, and Old Navy is one of the options. Every couple of months I do it, the little coins can go a long way!
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    I got great running pants at Old Navy - wicking material, a zipper pouch for my ID. They were only $20-25, I think, but they go on sale all the time, sometimes for half that price!

I save up my change and bring it to the Coinstar machine, it counts coins for free when you get the money put on gift cards, and Old Navy is one of the options. Every couple of months I do it, the little coins can go a long way!

Last time I used a Coinstar machine they definitely did not have that option! That's really great to know, I will definitely be cashing in there someday!
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, Target and D.icks are good places. I love the Under Armour heat gear shirts at D.icks. They're nice and light and they wick (not that wicking material is able to do it's job in the hot, humid South these days :wink: ) but they don't get weighed down like cotton does. If you do online shopping, championusa.com usually has good deals. I would just ask for gift cards and maybe give your closer family members very specific items/sizes.

Good luck!
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I love the Champion brand at Target and also Kohls has awesome sales on their athletic gear, sometimes buy one get one free on Adidas and Nike stuff.

I air dry all my stuff to make it last longer.