Getting rid of stretch marks

Options
I know that for the most part, my stretch marks will always be there, but is there a way to reduce the appearance? My weight gain happened rather quickly, so my thighs have some big purple marks on them. For the most part, it's not a big deal, but when I do reach my goal weight, I do want to get a new swimsuit and show it off.

Of course, my hubs wasn't shy about telling me that he doesn't like them.

Anyway, I have heard about cocoa butter products and some Mederma creams, but do any of them work? Like I said, I know I won't get rid of them completely, but if I could make them blend in a bit more, that would be nice.

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How long have you had them? Mine faded after about a year, though you can still see them. Not sure about any products but when I asked my doctor about mederma for a scar on my arm she told me that it is almost the same as neosporin and that it would do the same...I think neosporin is cheaper if you decide to go that route.
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that BioOil has worked a lot for my stretch marks. it only works on red/pink ones though.
    I have been doing TCA peels though and its helped wonders!

you can go to makeupalley.com and look at reviews
    or order from muac.com

(not affiliated)
  • jaybee25
    jaybee25 Posts: 117
    Options
    I use a product called derma oil and it has worked great for me and it's cheaper than the bio-oil :) that and moisterise all through your weight loss!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    How long have you had them? Mine faded after about a year, though you can still see them. Not sure about any products but when I asked my doctor about mederma for a scar on my arm she told me that it is almost the same as neosporin and that it would do the same...I think neosporin is cheaper if you decide to go that route.

They appeared a few months ago... probably last winter if I had to guess.

I do have some neosporin laying around, but I feel weird using it for that. I will check out the Bio Oil reviews on makeupalley. I use the makeupalley reviews for a lot of stuff, but I never thought about checking out stretch mark products there.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump...thanks for the info all:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I know that for the most part, my stretch marks will always be there, but is there a way to reduce the appearance? My weight gain happened rather quickly, so my thighs have some big purple marks on them. For the most part, it's not a big deal, but when I do reach my goal weight, I do want to get a new swimsuit and show it off.

Of course, my hubs wasn't shy about telling me that he doesn't like them.

Anyway, I have heard about cocoa butter products and some Mederma creams, but do any of them work? Like I said, I know I won't get rid of them completely, but if I could make them blend in a bit more, that would be nice.
    Stretch marks are actually scars and like scars will always be there. You can "hide" them, but in most cases the creams and ointments that claim to rid you of them are full of BS. Verona laser treatments seem to have a good chance reducing them from what I read though.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me PreperationH works well for stretch marks!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Vitamin E oil works better then anything else I've found. When I was 8 I was attacked by a dog, who basically ripped half my face off. It took 3 surgeries and well over 100 stitches to put it back together. My plastic surgeon recommended vitamin E oil at the time. I dare you to enlarge my profile pic and see if you can find the scar! :wink: When I had my babies, I used it on my stomach the whole time I was pregnant. Not a single stretch mark from them. I have a couple from weight gain after having babies, but the vitamin E has reduced them pretty well. And a bottle of it is only like $3 at Wal-Mart.