Getting sick... Help!

Options
So my husband and I went last weekend to babysit my niece and nephew. They had the sniffles, and now my husband is full fledged sick and I am on the verge of it. He has a realllly bad sinus headache infection going on. I am drinking lots of water, taking my multivitamin and vitamin C, and drinking o.j. while disinfecting the house.

Does anyone have any good remedies to keep off a cold? I am rocking the sore throat now. Thanks and thanks and THANKS!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Gargle with hot salt water (as hot as you can handle), drink tea with lemon and honey. Problem is you've already got it, it probably just has to run its course at this point! :( Feel better soon!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Coldeeze lozenges. They usually keep the duration of my symptoms to 3 days or less. They don't actually treat the symtoms though so you'll still have to take something for the sniffles/sore throat.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    lots of garlic and oregano
    lots of water, or herbal tea
    stay away from sugar
    rest if you need to
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on some medication that precludes you from taking it, I suggest Odorless Garlic - take double doses while you're fighting the cold. I actually take it every day, and rarely get sick anymore. It's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have said, make sure you have plenty of protein. The molecules (antibodies) that identify and rid our bodies of the invaders are made of protein. So you need to make sure you have the protein in your diet to support the additional production. Part of why chicken soup is helpful! :)

Hope you feel better soon! Nothing is worse than feeling icky in the summer
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks everyone!!!! I'm going to check out the zinc and garlic. I also just got some honey for some tea :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use Zicam dissoluble tablets when I have a cold coming on. They have zinc, and seem to reduce how long my colds are and help them be less severe.
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A pharmacist I work with suggested steaming. Put a towel over your head and inhale steam from water in a bowl or tub as hot as you can handle it. She says viruses are sensitive to even a one degree heat increase and the steam kills them, especially in your sinuses.
  • Debiann17
    Options
    I swear by the super B complex. I've used it for a few years now and haven't been cold sick since. I do get sinus headaches alot though, The B seems to help build your immune system.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've actually known quite a few people to get sick this summer.

Honestly, I feel like the best remedy for a virus is rest as much as you can. Otherwise, some over the counter meds here and there can relieve symptoms, but your body's natural immune system is your best bet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. And again the source is small children. However, in my case they were my own. Kids are gross.