Hello! Any vegans out here?

veganbaum
veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
Hi. I signed up here a couple of months ago but didn't come back to due a hectic summer schedule of classes. I am hoping to finally get rid of this last 15-20 pounds I want to lose in order to be in the "healthy" range for my height. I started at 212 and am now 176. I have not lost anything the past 9 months, but I was in school and was just grateful not to have gained (though I gained five pounds while out of state for six weeks, but as of yesterday I have lost it).

My biggest obstacle is exercise. As long as I remain a healthy and not a junk food vegan, I actually have a hard time getting enough calories according to daily caloric needs, but without exercise these last 20 won't budge. I just need to stick with it, and today re-started 30 Day Shred. I will make it through this time! I just hope I lose something while I'm at it.

I'd like to hear from other vegans working to lose weight and what kind of meals you're eating.

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I'm vegetarian in the transition right now to veganism and I only have 15lbs to get to goal.

Welcome back!!!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Vegetarian here, not so much vegan anymore. 18 lbs until I'm done. I am an exercise junky myself, but unlike you I had to make some dietary changes before I would see a budge, but a lot of that had to do with pregnancy and nursing. Back on track now. Welcome to the site!
  • Hi! I'm a vegetarian transitioning to a (mostly) vegan diet and I'm new to this site. I've taken up running this past year and I've found my weight creeping UP because of it. (Not sure if its the added muscle mass or increased hunger -- probably both.) I'm 5'10" and I'm looking to lose ~15 pounds. I've just started Turbo Fire today, so hopefully that will help!

Also, I make a lot of food from scratch, so I'm feeling at a disadvantage here. So many of the packaged foods have calorie listings, but many of my recipes do not. Any suggestions there?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Hi! I'm a vegetarian transitioning to a (mostly) vegan diet and I'm new to this site. I've taken up running this past year and I've found my weight creeping UP because of it. (Not sure if its the added muscle mass or increased hunger -- probably both.) I'm 5'10" and I'm looking to lose ~15 pounds. I've just started Turbo Fire today, so hopefully that will help!

Also, I make a lot of food from scratch, so I'm feeling at a disadvantage here. So many of the packaged foods have calorie listings, but many of my recipes do not. Any suggestions there?

Use the MFP recipe builder. You name your recipe add the igredients and servings and it does all the math. i use it daily!!
  • veganbaum
    I also cook a lot from scratch, so today I just put in each separate ingredient of my meals to get a calorie count.
  • cleve999
    cleve999 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm a vegan, (and hate that fur advertisement right next to my post!)
    I've just started here recently because I've been junk food vegan for 6 months and really need to eat better! I've been to my naturopath and got the low-down on how well my body is/isn't functioning so I'm raring to go!
    I travel a lot too and so I have to eat out but I thank god for HappyCow.
    I'm actually also a vegan /vegetarian educator and host a vegan radio show - so if anyone has any questions let me know :)
    I love eating vegan and find it quite easy and love to help others do the same.
    Karen
  • cleve999
    cleve999 Posts: 5 Member
    Oh, and a quick note about what I eat.
    Oddly and embarassingly enough, I wasn't getting enough protein seeing as I was eating cakes and goodies :) soo... in order to maintain low calorie but still enough protein to sustain my body in a healthy way, I have to eat higher protein foods than if I was just maintaining weight.
    I eat seitan, but not a lot, I personally am not sure its all that good for you. I do eat a lot of beans and soy, but it seems one great protein is to add tvp to any casserole type dish, or you can even make an oatmeal type dish from it. For example tonight, darling daughter make a delicious vege meal of pasta and roasted veges, but I added 1/2 c tvp to boost the protein in a low cal way.
    I also have green smoothies every morning and sometimes add just a little protein (hemp, rice, soy) powder. I know this type of diet isn't sustainable but it's okay just while I lose some weight and decrease my bodies needs.
  • veganbaum
    Hey melloneek! It's nice to meet another vegan, and to see several vegetarians here.

Have you heard of soy curls? I had them in Oregon and they were very good. I kept seeing dishes with soy curls all over Portland, but didn't try them until nearly my last day there because I thought they were overly processed stuff, which I try to avoid, but they're not. If you go to the company's site, it gives a description of the process, and they're made from whole soy beans. When I eat soy I try to limit it to tempeh, tofu, soy sauce, and miso. But mostly I get my protein from other sources. When I cook with tempeh or tofu I rarely make more than one dish a week with it, but then that dish lasts for two or three meals. I try to eat oatmeal for breakfast often - good protein content. I find that most of the time I have no problem meeting my protein needs and generally exceed them without adding anything aside from whole foods. I do, however, need to watch my iron and calcium intake.
  • msmodular13
    msmodular13 Posts: 12 Member
    Hey! I'm vegan as well :) Trying to eat a lot healthier and trying to eat more whole foods, but it is difficult between working and going to school full time. I just made a pot of hoppin john this week and am going to try to make recipes out of Isa's 'appetite for reduction' cookbook and Dr. Bernard from PCRM has some good suggestions too. I've been trying to plan out meals with Ezekial bread for breakfast (with earth balance or tofutti cream cheese) and alternating salads, sandwiches (with tofurky or other 'meats'), and bean or tofu dishes. I love to cook, but I also LOVE to bake, which is a big problem. I did find a recipe for a lowfat zucchini bread, but naturally, I could probably eat the whole loaf. My issue is that I have started the turbo fire workouts and I am always hungry I feel!!!! Welcome back :) I just started not too long ago and am really trying to stay focused and committed.