zucchini lasagna 184 calories a serving

Options
cat3nv
cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
Tonight I made up a new dish. I had a rather large zucchini I needed to use and leftover ground beef as well. I stared at my fridge for about 10 minutes and this is what I came up with.

Zucchini Lasagna

one large zucchini about 2 in in diameter weighing around 1.5 - 2 pounds slice about 1/4 in thick

one jar of classico fire roasted tomato and garlic sauce add 1/4- 1/2 cup chicken broth to thin

1/2 pound cooked ground beef

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup panko

Slice up the zucchini and place in a 13x9 inch sprayed dish. Lay the zucchini slightly overlapping like lasagna noodles.

pour half of the sauce on zucchini, then half of the ground beef, then 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.

repeat this process for the next layer.

add panko to the top and then the cheddar.

cook at 350 for 30 min

if you follow these directions it is less than 200 calories a serving. 9 servings.

I entered my recipe into the myfitnesspal.com recipe calculator.

Replies

• usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    A mandolin works really well for this, I like to alternate my layers with zucchini and yellow squash. We're gluten free, so this is how I've been getting my lasagna fix for years.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    mmm, I worked at an italian restraunt and a girl I worked with used to make this for me all the time lol. it was sooooo goooood.
  • cat3nv
    Options
    Adding squash sounds delish. However, I did not pick any squash today.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'll be making this soon! I have been craving something oven baked/noodle based for a while. This may well be where I end up. You can also use zucchinni cut thin and then cut into thin, noodle-like strips for a swap out for spaghetti noodles. I have not tried this, but this is also something I'm going to try soon.
  • corbansmom
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    how do you slice the zucchini?...just wondering...but this sounds wonderful!! :smile:
  • cat3nv
    Options
    @BCFossett

you should try spaghetti squash.

cut it in half, scrape out the seeds coat with olive oil and whatever seasonings you like. bake cut side down at 375 for 30 - 45 minutes.

Use a fork to separate the "noodles" I serve mine hot with a little butter, olive oil, chopped chicken, chopped spinach, and parmesan.
  • cat3nv
    Options
    how do you slice the zucchini?...just wondering...but this sounds wonderful!! :smile:

I just used a knife and a cutting board, but you can use a mandolin or a food processor.
  • ivette512
    ivette512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you slice it long wise or small rounds? Sounds great and will try soon.
  • nancye610
    nancye610 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bump - YUM
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i feel like the odd one out, but what is panko?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Do you slice it long wise or small rounds? Sounds great and will try soon.

I use a mandolin which makes it easier to cut in long and still get noodle thin slices. I don't think it would be excessively different either way.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    i feel like the odd one out, but what is panko?

It's a bread crumb
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    mmmm.....sounds yummy!!!
    Thanks for sharing ;)
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Egg plant or most any squash will work as well. I also add a fresh spinach layer to mine, adds more veggies. I wish they would make a lower sodium sauce though. Thanks for sharing.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Egg plant or most any squash will work as well. I also add a fresh spinach layer to mine, adds more veggies. I wish they would make a lower sodium sauce though. Thanks for sharing.

I agree- Aubergine (Egg plant) also works wonderfully. Especially if you add a little cinnamon, garlic & orgegano to the meat mix- it makes a moussaka style dish!!