Protein

Options
Ive been tracking my calories for a few weeks now, on and off for a few months and today I noticed that I stayed under my alloted calories but was over on my proteins. What is the negative effect of that? Or positive?

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    ive heard that you are supposed to eat 1 gram of protein per pound you are.....but that seems a LOT for me ahaha so i have no idea!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over on proteins. A higher protein diet has helped me lose my weight. Feel free to flip thru my diary and see for yourself. Although the last few days I have been gearing up for a juice fast so you might want to go back a few days.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    MFP has protein set fairly low. I have it set to 30% of my diet since following 40/30/30 for carbs, fat and protein. I weigh 171lbs and my protein is now set at 145g a day, it IS a lot of protein but that much is important for muscle building, and feeling full. So it's totally okay to be over MFPs recommendation.
  • pcjh
    pcjh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question, always heard more protein is a good thing, especially when working out and we need it to replenish our selves, so i am just going to ignore that part of the log and eat my healthy protein as well as veggies and good whole grains.... staying within my calorie limits...
  • Bethabee_
    Bethabee_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How do you change it here on MFP?
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Protein is one of those "New studies suggest..." topics. Its always a changing study. Going over is not bad as protein is not fat soluble, as a result your body gets rid of anything excess. So its better to be over rather than under. However those "studies" I talked about earlier suggest that too much protein can damage your liver and rob your body of nutrients. How much is too much? depends on what you do, if your under 200 grams a day, your probably fine.
  • pcjh
    pcjh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thx Dmax12, that is very helpful....
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've also heard it can be tough on the kidneys as well. Try to eat a nice balance if you can.:flowerforyou:
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Protein is one of those "New studies suggest..." topics. Its always a changing study. Going over is not bad as protein is not fat soluble, as a result your body gets rid of anything excess. So its better to be over rather than under. However those "studies" I talked about earlier suggest that too much protein can damage your liver and rob your body of nutrients. How much is too much? depends on what you do, if your under 200 grams a day, your probably fine.

I was over by 14 according to MFP...but Im not sure exactly 14 of what???

That is certainly interesting to hear about the negative effects of protein on the body. I'll be sure to watch that and thanks for the advice.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's done in grams, so if you were over 14 grams you were NO WHERE near anything considered dangerous.

Like I mentioned before my goal is now 145 grams of protein (and I weigh 171lbs at this point). I'm also a nursing student so we have done quite a bit of nutrition and how protein is processed in the body and a normal healthy adult (with no liver or kidney problems) has no problem processing "large" amounts of protein, it's more important to eat some protein with each meal. Your body can't process a large quantity at one time.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For the person who asked how to change your protein allowance- go to 'my home' then 'goals' choose 'custom' and you can change your macros. MFP has the protein allowance set pretty low, around 15% I think. If you are doing strength training at all, higher protein isn't a bad thing. I aim for around 30%