HELP!! What should I do??

Options
amarie35
amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
I have 2 job interviews this week; one is for tomorrow and the other is on Thursday. The problem is, they are both for a weekend position. I am a recent LPN graduate & just recently passed my boards exam. The interview I have for tomorrow is more or less for just an assistant. In other words, I don't have to have a degree or license to work there. But, I applied because I thought it might give me experience & everywhere I've been applying, has prefered someone w/ @ least 6 months of experience. The job only pays about 9.00 an hour. Now, the interview I have for thursday, is for an actual LPN position @ a local nursing home. The starting pay for that job will be about 13.00 an hour.

So, my question is, when I go for my interview tomorrow, if they hire me & ask if I can start this weekend, what should I say?

I mean, there's no guarantee I will get the LPN job Thursday, but there's always a chance. And I much rather take the LPN job (since it is what I went to school to become) & it obviously will pay me more. I just don't want to mess up & end up losing out on both jobs.

So, I was thinking about just being honest. If they ask me to start this weekend, I thought I'd just let them know that I don't know if I can start this weekend or not. Tell them that I have another interview Thursday for a LPN weekend position. Maybe I could let them know by Friday if I can work this weekend or not.

GOD has blessed me with not only one interview for this week but TWO! =) I'm just gonna pray that he sends me where he wants me to go.

But, in the mean time, can you PLEASE give me your advice?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you get offered the job to start on the weekend take it.
    if you get the other job, just back out then.

Do not tell them you have another interview!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    It is perfectly acceptable, when offered a position to ask them for time to think it over. The purpose of an interview is to find out if you're right for them-but don't forget, it's also to find out if they're right for you.

It would be doubtful they want you to start this weekend anyway. I wouldn't tell them about the other interview-like call waiting for a job..."I like you, but I might like them better."

So if they do, tell them it sounds like a great opportunity, but you do need some time to make sure you are right for this position. Tell them you'll let them know within 48 hours. If you lose the job because of that, it shows them to be very poor planners, and inflexible. Not good traits in an employer.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you get offered the job to start on the weekend take it.
    if you get the other job, just back out then.

Do not tell them you have another interview!

This guy!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Bill said. If you get both jobs, you can take the one you want that is best for you, and the other place will have other applicants to fall back on anyway. It isn't like they have invested anything into training you so don't feel bad. But if you tell the first about the other job, they will put YOUR application to the bottom of the pile because they won't think you are interested. And you could end up with nothing. Good luck!
  • vwfrog
    vwfrog Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Most employers do not offer jobs on-the-spot. If this is an initial interview, you can expect them to ask you something like "when is the earliest that you can start". They are determining your availability. Saying a date after the weekend is acceptable, as others have replied/posted. You do not need to disclose other interviews.

Keep in mind that accepting a job offer is a big deal! You have every right to take a few days (including the weekend!) to think things over and then promptly respond to the employer with your decision.

Oh, and, congratulations on completing your schooling and boards/exams! Woot Woot!

~vw
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    DO NOT... I repeat... Do not accept the job on the spot & then back out.... you will burn a bridge you may need to cross again in the future. That is horrible business practice and you never know when you may run into these people again or may need them to scratch your back. Never do this... why would anyone think this is acceptable? If someone did this to me... I'd make sure they would never have a job w/ my company in the future or anyone else I networked with. You are just getting started... this isn't the name you want to establish for yourself and it isn't professional.

If you are offered a job on the spot (which isn't very common), simply tell them you would like the week to think it through and will give them an answer on Monday. If you are not offered the position on the spot, simply tell them you will contact them on Monday to follow up if you haven't heard from them by then (I always send a thank you email for the opportunity to interview and also put in writing when I will contact them again... I can help you word it if you like). Don't be afraid to negotiate salary as well... when I worked in a position that was hourly, I always negotiated for more... I have a business degree as well as the teaching masters and now enrolled in post-grad school so it's just "in me" to be verbal, confident, and assured during interviews. Like others have said... they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Don't seem overly ambitious or desperate (even though you may be like I am right now lol).
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    DO NOT... I repeat... Do not accept the job on the spot & then back out.... you will burn a bridge you may need to cross again in the future. That is horrible business practice and you never know when you may run into these people again or may need them to scratch your back. Never do this... why would anyone think this is acceptable? If someone did this to me... I'd make sure they would never have a job w/ my company in the future or anyone else I networked with. You are just getting started... this isn't the name you want to establish for yourself and it isn't professional.

If you are offered a job on the spot (which isn't very common), simply tell them you would like the week to think it through and will give them an answer on Monday. If you are not offered the position on the spot, simply tell them you will contact them on Monday to follow up if you haven't heard from them by then (I always send a thank you email for the opportunity to interview and also put in writing when I will contact them again... I can help you word it if you like). Don't be afraid to negotiate salary as well... when I worked in a position that was hourly, I always negotiated for more... I have a business degree as well as the teaching masters and now enrolled in post-grad school so it's just "in me" to be verbal, confident, and assured during interviews. Like others have said... they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Don't seem overly ambitious or desperate (even though you may be like I am right now lol).

^^^ THIS!!!! ^^^

This is your new profession - don't make your first professional decision be backing out for a better offer! Act professionally :bigsmile:

And GOOD LUCK!!!
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options

GR8 advice. Although, I NEVER said I was going to accept the job and then back out on it. That was NEVER at all my intentions. I have never did this. That would NOT be professional @ all.

Let me expain a little more......The 1st interview I have is for a care giver. Just someone to help the eldery in their home. I'd be doing their dishes, cooking, doing their laundry, getting their groceries, & reminding them to take their medication. It's just a regular job that anyone can do. And it only pays a little more than minimum rage. Not exactly what I went to college for 3 years to do. But, it's a job. 8.00 or 9.00 dollars an hour is WAY better than 0.00 dollars.

But the inteview Thursday is what I've been praying for since I started filling out applications. I did one application online and filled out two different applications @ their office. I figured if I called enough and filled out enough applications, the'd get the hint sooner or later. The last application I filled out was on Friday. It was made to look professional. I think that's why I got the call Monday for an interview. I put the cover letter, resume, & application in a clear type portfolio & in that order. After my interview, I am sending her a letter thanking her for her time and her interview & letting her know I'll be in touch in a few days, if I haven't heard anything from her by then. Actually, I already have the letter written. :happy:

I'm just super excited about having an interview. This is the 1st LPN interview that I've had since I started filling out applications (4 months ago). Being right out of college & having NO nursing experience, it is SO hard to get your foot in the door. But, the way I see it, if it's meant for me to get the job, then I'll get it. ((fingers crossed)) :bigsmile: