after dinner sugar cravings

Options
2»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You could try to wean yourself away from too much processed sugar by eating things like fruit or fruit-sweetened jam on a whole grain cracker. The first time I detoxed from sugar I was able to do it by having tea with a cracker and fruit-sweetened jam after dinner (just those times I wanted "dessert"). It worked, kicked my cane sugar cravings. As a couple of others mentioned, true dark chocolate, at least over 70%, can really help, too. Because it's richer in a different way than milk chocolate, one or two squares of a bar can be very satisfying. In the end, like others said, you can also just budget the calories. Good luck!
  • daphnecohn
    Options
    This is a very common response because as night time approaches our serotonin levels (feel good hormones) drop. This makes a person crave sugar - one of the fastest ways to increase serotonin and feel better. I suggest two things:

1) allow yourself some sugar by being totally present and enjoying the experience. Sit down at the table with a "reasonable" amount of dessert. Take a few deep breaths to calm down the body and the mind and then really appreciate the food you're eating. Notice the colors, shape, texture, smell and taste. Totally savor it. And then see if you actually want more or feel satisfied.

2) Ask yourself what you might be wanting right now. Perhaps you want to feel loved, or safe, or happy. See if there are other ways to get that feeling without eating sugar.

Hope this helps.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I definitely suffer from sugar cravings. In the last week, I've started making some hot cocoa, even though our temps have been in the 100's! I mix unsweetened vanilla almond milk with cocoa and some splenda. It's just sweet and chocolate enough, and very filling.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I have a fat free snack pack (chocolate pudding) 80 calories. :flowerforyou:
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    happens to me almost every night with fail. i found curly wurlys satisfiying there only 115 calories and if u suck the chocolate off then eat the chewy bit it last for ages.
    also skinny cow or sugar free lollies x
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Fat free yogurt, a banana, or an apple normally tide me over.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yup... I have ice cream almost every night.

If you know you're going to crave a sweet dessert, just a balance it into your calorie and macro goals.
  • sveltelady
    sveltelady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im so glad I am not the only one who eats ice cream every day! I know that I have been able to manage my food before and was actually doing well for awhile, since July 4th I have been off and running again. I am able to eat very small amounts once in awhile but when I do that for a few days in a row...the chain reaction has begun
  • hels_bells
    Options
    I read recently that the reason some of us crave sweet after savoury is because when we were young our parents would reward us with something sweet for eating our main dinner, this translates into habit, feeling the need for a reward, and often leads to rushing the main course to get to the sweet reward at the end! Well, thanks mum!!!

Nevertheless I have a couple of rich tea biscuits (if you're in US not sure if you get them), they're 38 cals each and seem to solve my sweet tooth problems!!!