Weekly weigh in vs daily

Options
I cant stop myself standing on the scales every morning, does anyone else do this?

I'm also noticing I weigh less at the weekend probably cause I've started drinking a bit again and I'm dehydrated. My Monday weight is usually pretty low and ill gain and level out a bit around Wednesday.

Replies

• karenp84
    karenp84 Posts: 119
    Options
    Yes im the very same but i'm trying to cut it down a bit and just weigh in once a week instead.
  • Sarahnats
    Sarahnats Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do...it helps me keep on track but only record it once a week :)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I cant stop myself standing on the scales every morning, does anyone else do this?

I'm also noticing I weigh less at the weekend probably cause I've started drinking a bit again and I'm dehydrated. My Monday weight is usually pretty low and ill gain and level out a bit around Wednesday.

Stop it now Mike otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts!

I know that I can fluctuate by several lbs throughout any given day. There is nothing more demotivating that seeing a gain and for that reason alone I do not weigh-in daily.

Start trying to limit yourself to every other day? But aim for once a week. Weigh at the same time, first thing in the morning (and weigh a few times to make sure you get the same reading!)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I weight myself after every workout so four times a week! normally a bit heavier after the w/end and then hopefully lighter by thursday.
    I don't think it matters as long as you know to take it with a grain of salt a bit, and also only register on your stats on the website once a month or once a week .
  • Bobble2610
    Options

I know that I can fluctuate by several lbs throughout any given day. There is nothing more demotivating that seeing a gain and for that reason alone I do not weigh-in daily.

I agree with this, cos it does fluctuate every day, sometimes up, sometimes down... What I tend to do tho, is look for the gradual loss... As long as, at the end of the week, you weigh a little bit less than you did a week ago, then you are good...
    But yeah, don't take your daily weigh in as THE weigh in - wait till the end of the week and use this as your acual one.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Since January I've never missed a weigh-in on any morning (even when on holiday). I am not driven insane by it and am never discouraged by unexplainable gains. I really like doing it this way and I don't plan to cut it down!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was getting obsessive and started to weigh myself about 3 times in the morning before i went to work, once as soon as i woke, then again after excercise and then again after a bath! One of my aims this month is to limit myself to once per week. Day 2 and so far so good :glasses: but being so close to ONEderland the temptation is strong.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Yep, I do the same but I have to stop it as it drives me mad if I have gained.

Wasn't able to track my food this weekend so now I'm scared of the scales in case they say I have gained. I don't think I ate my allowances but I may well have drunk them :)

To be on the safe side I am going to wait until the morning after a good spin class before I weigh myself again....so that is tomorrow!

Maybe do it same time every week and then you won't stress about it......hopefully I will be able to follow my own advice!!
  • MissWait
    MissWait Posts: 160
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, I like the reasuance that I didn't gain 10kg over night :laugh: I only record my weight on Saturday's and that is the only number I concern my self with, daily weights will always fluctuate depending on food, water consumption and tom for the ladies :wink:
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week, at my parents...ensured i started it there so i wouldn't be tempted to weigh in every day.
  • Charsmithers
    Charsmithers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, it helped me gain control over my weight (obesity ) im at a healthy weight and have passed my goal...i still weigh every day, im to scared not to just incase
    but it has become obsessive which realistically isnt healthy so if your able to i would do it every other day atleast,
    iv cut back from weighing x amount times a day to 1 so hopefully ill soon do every other :)
  • squeak1989
    Options
    We all know that weekly is likely to be more accurate than daily. When I started off with the weight loss I weighed weekly. But as weigh ins gave me such a confidence boost I changed that to daily. The difficulty comes when the weight hasn't gone down, it can be really disheartening. Even if you know that it's the weekly one that counts it's really hard not to let a bad weight wreck my confidence or my plans.

Just tried a daily weigh in today to check I was on track and I've put on 2lbs, hopefully it will sort itself out by my weekly weigh.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mike you have to stop weighing yourself daily it's unhealthy for you, mentally and self esteem wise!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Pffft...I weigh myself daily and my self-esteem is just fine. I've always weighed myself daily. I also record it in my food notes and graph it in excel.

Do whatever makes you happy. If 3x a day makes you nuts, then cut back. If once a week isnt' often enough, then do it more frequently. What other people do is completely irrelevant.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because I need to see what the scale says. However, yeah it can drive you crazy, especially since your weight fluctuates.

For example last Friday I was 227 lbs, and then saturday night I was 232 and I had worked out and not eaten anything more than I normally do. The five lb difference is more than likely water weight accumulated due to the extreme heat of where I am at. But it's still not fun to look at on the scale!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, "at least". It is obsessive on my part at this time, but why would it be unhealthy. I know my weight fluctuates through the day and in the mornings. Would rather be obsessive with weighing myself rather than figuring out where to get my next fast food fix.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily in the AM, but... I only record my weight on Monday morning. I know that my weight will fluctuate on any given day due to what I eat, drink or exercise. I chose Monday as my weigh in day as it helps keep me from losing control or giving in to weekend temptations. I think twice before I put bad stuff into my mouth (most of the time, anyway).
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I go to the bathroom and before breakfast. It doesn't bother me to see the tiny gains here and there. I think weighing myself (and updating my ticker)daily helps keep me accountable. But if it makes you nuts stop doing it. I wouldn't weigh yourself more than once a day. The one in the morning is the most reliable. You could be 2+ lbs more at night just from the actual weight from the food you ate.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    To those of you who question my "self esteem" comment....why do you feel the need to micro-manage your weight on the scales everyday or several times a day? It's not healthy nor is it best form of measuring your success. When we lose weight with the help of exercise our shapes change too. If you are doing exercise you will be building muscle. If you weigh yourself everyday, the moment your weight stays the same or goes up, what happens...negativity sets in, in some form or another. Why put yourself through that if so many of you are wanting to lose weight for a life change, not just a short term goal? I've been there myself, it's not healthy and most fitness professional will agree with me on that as I've had several trainers on different occassions say the same thing. Can you believe this, people actually weigh themselves at the gym BEFORE and AFTER a work....it's not good! Give yourselves a break and take the pressure off you :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale morning and night. BUT I only count my weekly Thursday weigh-ins.

I find it interesting to weigh every day and see how different foods and routines are sitting with me. Yes, I fluctuate + or - 2.5lbs or so every time but I don't let this discourage me. I only count Thursdays so that's all that matters.