Is this right? (calorie defecit)

Options
Hello all,

Sorry for my n00bness - I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and not eating too much/too little!

Anyway, I am 5'2", lead a sedentary lifestyle, and would, ideally, like to lose 2lb a week. I entered this information into the MFP iPhone app and it generated a net calorie goal of 1200 per day.

However, according to this website (under goals) my projected weight loss is only 1.1lb a week with this amount of net calories. It estimates my cals from daily activity at 1770, so 1200 gives me a defecit of 570 per day, resulting in 1.1lb per week. So...to lose 2lb per week my net calories should be 770 (1000 daily deficit) ? Is that right?

That seems like a pretty low net calorie figure :-/ I don't really want to eat much below 1200 per day, so do I need to really up my exercise to increase my deficit, or should I stick with 1200 net and just accept that 2lb per week is unrealistic for someone of my height and lifestyle? Or have I got this all confused?

Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    MFP is set so that you never go below 1200 net calories per day as it is a threshold most health experts agree is the lowest one should go on a regular basis to avoid health problems. Losing 2lbs a week is essentially too fast for the size you are now- 1.1 is as fast as you should be going.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The website won't let you go below 1200 net.. so thats the bare minimum it suggests anyone eats no matter their height, weight, etc.

You have what looks to be 37 pounds to loose, so I'd actually set it at a pound a week instead of two pounds and see what happens. You'll get a few more calories to eat, and depending on your body it may lose more or less.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I set mine to 2 pounds per week, and it calculated me to the 1200 calories with a projected 1.4 pound loss per week. Honestly my los fluctuates from nothing to 3 pounds lost each week. I'm also listed as sedentary (desk job). I exercise at least 4 times a week, usually more. However, I eat back at least half of my exercise calories, unless I'm trying to break a plateau or to trick my body.

You're right to be hestitant about the 1200 calorie figure being so low. 1200 calories is a WHO minimum for how many calories a woman needs to function on a daily basis. It's your call on how many calories you actually eat, but I recommend exercise on top of your 1200 calories, and eating those calories back so you net 1200 calories. Therefore, if you burn 500 calories, you may end up eating 1700 for the day. You need to make sure you fuel your body to be able to handle exercise!

Hope this helps a little bit!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Doesn't being short suck! :wink:

It's right, you shouldn't really eat below 1200 because of nutrition. You can eat below 1200 at your height, but you have to be VERY careful and without a nutritionist or plan from a doctor I wouldn't recommend it. Upping your workouts will increase the deficit and your rate of weight lost, but if I were you I'd stick to the 1lb a week.

Good Luck!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You can create a larger caloric deficit with exercise. Burn 450 calories per day while still consuming the 1200 and you would be closer to your 2lbs/week goal. However, I dont think 1200 calories a day while burning a lot of calories is sustainable. You'd better just accept that for most people 1lb/week is rewarding and quick. Only the obese can really lose at a rate of 2+lbs/week.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    You are a similar height and weight to me, except I started at 175lbs and am no 165lbs. The first 20 days I lost 8lbs at 1200 cals a day plus exercise cals. I got stuck for 10days. I carried out a little experiment, which seems to have paid off and the last couple of days I am back to 1200 cals a day plus exercise cals and I have started losing a little again. So to cut a long story short it is possible to lose 2lbs a week but on average over a month it may average out at 1.1lb a week
    Good luck x
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Being short does suck!

Anyway, 1.1lb per week works out at around 2kg per month, which is what I have set as my mini-goals anyway (I thought 2lb per week was ambitious) so as long as I average around that I will be happy :)

I currently exercise properly 3 times a week (2 zumba classes and one fitness DVD), as well as taking a brisk 20 minute walk 4-5 times a week. I have just bought a bike though so once I learn to ride it my exercise levels will increase!