Am I the only one?

Options

Replies

• _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your height and frame. Size 2,4, or 6 are not that small if you are short.

This. I'm 5'2 and wear a size 6 and am still close to being over a healthy BMI range.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for an 8 - at 5'4" an 8 will still allow me to have the curves. Plus, those birthing hips that I've been blessed with are in my genes, they ain't going anywhere! :wink:
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Don't aim for something that technically doesn't exist. You won't know what size you're happiest at until you get there! Just take it one step at a time.
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    I want to share this picture - and THIS is why I don't go by sizes - The shorts in the back are a size 8 old navy bought last year - the top tan pants are a size 8 - probably bought (don't judge me!) in 1990 same size - different decade - sizes have changed so much. I just want to be a healthy weight and feel good about myself. Size does not matter

difference.jpg

Also, vanity sizing irritates me. I don't care about the size number, I care how big my butt is, no matter how it is labeled. Some brands' size 16 are sooooo tight and some other brands' size 12 fall off!:huh: Then, you also have the stretch denim and materials that never quite want to go back to their original size, so they were once 14 new but are soon 16 or 18. This can be misleading when your friend borrows said pants and think she's lost weight because she can suddenly "fit into size 14!!!".
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Also, vanity sizing irritates me. I don't care about the size number, I care how big my butt is, no matter how it is labeled. Some brands' size 16 are sooooo tight and some other brands' size 12 fall off!:huh: Then, you also have the stretch denim and materials that never quite want to go back to their original size, so they were once 14 new but are soon 16 or 18. This can be misleading when your friend borrows said pants and think she's lost weight because she can suddenly "fit into size 14!!!".

This is funny because I just put on a pair of shorts that have spandex in them and said out loud, "Why do they have to put spandex in EVERYTHING?!?"
  • Elmaunie
    Elmaunie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely not the only one!! I'm aiming for 10.5-11 stone and that'll put me back to a uk size 12-14. This is the size I was happiest. I did drop to 10 stone, a uk 10-12, and just looked skinny although that's what these online BMI things tell me I should aim for.

Sexy J-Lo curves and bum for me please :)
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I want to share this picture - and THIS is why I don't go by sizes - The shorts in the back are a size 8 old navy bought last year - the top tan pants are a size 8 - probably bought (don't judge me!) in 1990 same size - different decade - sizes have changed so much. I just want to be a healthy weight and feel good about myself. Size does not matter

difference.jpg

WOW! That is revealing! I knew sizes were pretty unreliable, but I thought they would at least be more similar than THAT! I was just talking generally, like what the average size you usually fit in is: the "range," I guess you could say. But perhaps even THAT is unreliable...

OMG so much of what she said hit home for me, especially thinking she's "too much" this and "too much" that... Thank you! I needed that today!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    :D Glad to help.
  • mygirlbrenna
    Options
    I'm only 5ft tall so I think a 6ish is good for me. Normally, when I tell people I weigh 120 (started at 202lb) they gasp, but it's still quite squishy for 5ft. I'm okay if I stay at a 6/8 for a petite figure.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't aim for a really low weight b/c the maintenance required would kill me. I want to enjoy life. And eating is part of that, for me. I've gotten close to my goal weight before. While I wasn't thin, I think I could be happy at that weight. I'd be around a size 12. And at the top end of the healthy weight range.
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This thread rocks! :happy:

I have been looking at articles about how distorted our thoughts have been due to the fashion/beauty industry dictating we all need to be thin, thin, thin to be beautiful. Pffft! to that! So great to hear from regular women that are not sucked into this way of thinking.

Sizes do differ even today. I once tried on 4 different size 6 jeans and only one fit right. I found out that they have given smaller size numbers to bigger sizes so that picture of the size 8 pants years ago would be smaller than a size 8 now. The industry is appealing to our vanity. This translates into size doesn't mean much anymore, except that we think we are a size 8, but we might be a size 10/12 from old standards.

I have been looking at the "plus size" models lately and seeing that these are the models that look like regular women. Shouldn't these models be the "regular" models? So weird! The Marilyn Monroe(s) of yesterday would be considered plus size models today.

Anyway, you all are amazing for listening to your own bodies to find out what naturally works best for you. One size does not fit all. :wink:
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    totally the sizes now are bigger than back when. I weighed 120 in jr. high and wore a 9 that same 9 now would be way bigger. I just got back from Maurice's trying on shorts. 7/8's were too big, 3/4's fit just right. A. I can't fit into Jrs. clothes anywhere else, Maurices has to run big. B. I weigh 148 right now and the shorts I walked into the store in say 8/10(they aren't, they run small). C. take a look at my profile pic. I am 5'3" and 148 right now, size 6 in most things and I am NOT tiny or skinny. When I get back to 140 and my 4's fit I still won't be. My husband loves me at any weight but he said that I definitely could(if I wanted to) get down to 120 and not be unhealthy or too skinny and he is right, I have the extra meat on me at 140, it is all in my thighs and upper arms at that point but it is still there and I am going to try to lose it.

Don't worry about sizes because they are all across the board, just go by if you are happy with the way you look AND feel when you reach your goal
  • MrsBrit2007
    Options
    You're not the only one, I'm with you Haley! I think we have a similar starting and goal weight too. I'm happy with my new found healthy BMI but don't want to lose any curves along the way!
    (can you hear my husband yelling "too right!" in the background?)

Haha, my husband is yelling the same thing! I'm a size 12 right now and still have 16lbs to go until my goal weight, (150lbs) and I expect to be a 8/10 then.

My husband made me promise that I wouldn't lose my curves when I started working out. :laugh:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My goal is a 10/12, its when I hit that size I will fully evaluate my weight goal. The 10 would be the "primary size" but allow fluctuations for different designers
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT weird! I think that's awesome! Who wants to look like a 2 x 4? :tongue: I've finally found myself in a 10 and I'm happy about it! I have a few more pounds to shed and a WHOLE LOTTA toning, but I don't want to be any smaller than an 8. We're real women!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about being comfortable. In my profile pic I put up today I am wearing a 6 which is a little baggy I could easily get a 4, But I am only 5'3 and weight 131. SO I am not stick thin. It really just depends on your frame and how you carry your weight. I am more concerned with toning now then I am losing anymore weight. I really dont want to be under a 4.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    No not weird at all. I am only going for an 8-10. 8 would be fantastic but I'd be happy as a 10 as long as I am toned and healthy! I kinda wanna keep some of my butt...not all of it :)
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

difference.jpg

WOW! That is revealing! I knew sizes were pretty unreliable, but I thought they would at least be more similar than THAT! I was just talking generally, like what the average size you usually fit in is: the "range," I guess you could say. But perhaps even THAT is unreliable...

OMG so much of what she said hit home for me, especially thinking she's "too much" this and "too much" that... Thank you! I needed that today!

Alot of why people say sizes have changed is more the fit has changed some sit high on the waist and some sit on your hips so that lower they sit the bigger they will appear.
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm aiming for size 8-10 but if I like the way I look at size 12 I wouldn't mind staying there at all. Basically I just want to look in the mirror and be happy.