Measuring Pasta?

If I'm going to make pasta and the serving size on the box is 2 oz, is that the weight of the pasta on a food scale or 1/4 cup of pasta? Am I supposed to measure/weigh it before it's cooked or after? I made pasta last night for dinner and got aggravated trying to figure it out so I just served my self a cup of cooked pasta and logged it after as 4 servings of 2 oz... lol 800 calories later I was like "there's no way that's right" So can anyone tell me exactly how they figure the serving size. I'm not looking for any "buy this special tool" or "it's about this much..." responses. I just want to know, does anyone KNOW if the serving size of pasta is by weight or if it's supposed to be 1/4 cup? And, is it 2oz dry or 2oz cooked? Thank you!

Replies

• Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    I was doing the same thing the other night. Is it cooked or uncooked and 2 oz is nothing.....very confusing. I need someone to help answer too!!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    The serving sizes of pasta on the boxes generally are dry weight before being cooked.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    i think it would be 2oz cooked. but if you look on the side of the packet it would tell you the nutrition values of 100g uncooked!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Dry, before cooked, on a food scale.

If you want more bang for your buck, mix your pasta with spaghetti squash...it looks like you're getting a ton more for way less calories!
  • drednme
    drednme Posts: 4
    Hey Ladies, I was wondering this same thing quite some time ago! The weight is on the food scale BEFORE you cook it, which actually is a decent serving! How do I know? Well I bought a pound of pasta (16 oz), and the nutritional information says 2 oz servings and that there were approx 8 servings in the box. I took out all of the pasta and weighed it on my food scale to be safe, and it was exactly 16 ounces.

Happy Pasta eating!! (Definitely one of my weaknesses!)
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    agreed, its dry pasta weight/cup. Personally, when i buy a box, i immediately measure it out into baggies so i know what a serving size is. Easier to calculate, grab and go
  • This is what I found - I always eat 1 cup of pasta..

According to the National Pasta Association, 8 ounces of uncooked long pasta, such as spaghetti will yield 4 cups of cooked pasta. Thus, a "serving" of 2 oz. uncooked spaghetti will be the nutritional equivalent of 1 cup of cooked spaghetti

But is a serving!! NOT FOUR.. Good job on the measuring..
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Thanks for the post i have been wondering this too!!!!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    I calculate it once it is cooked. Probably the wrong thing to do..but it works for me. I don't eat a lot of pasta anymore anyways.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    agreed, its dry pasta weight/cup. Personally, when i buy a box, i immediately measure it out into baggies so i know what a serving size is. Easier to calculate, grab and go

That is a wonderful idea!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member

This is a great idea. I think I'm going to start doing this.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    This is what I found - I always eat 1 cup of pasta..

According to the National Pasta Association, 8 ounces of uncooked long pasta, such as spaghetti will yield 4 cups of cooked pasta. Thus, a "serving" of 2 oz. uncooked spaghetti will be the nutritional equivalent of 1 cup of cooked spaghetti

But is a serving!! NOT FOUR.. Good job on the measuring..

This
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    The 2 oz is uncooked. If you cooked the 2 oz dry, then measured it, then I would think it should equal the serving size of cooked pasta... which I believe is 1 cup? :smile:
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Thank you guys, looks like it's definitely dry, on the scale (which is good because that's alot of pasta) =). Finally, I can sleep tonight having FINALLY gotten this question answered! (and knowing I only ate approximately 1 serving last night and not 4) Thanks again! :bigsmile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    2 oz dry or 1 cup cooked.
  • She's right Ky, dry on a food scale. Scales are way more accurate than measuring. Remember pasta expands like rice...in the belly but oh it tastes so good. Two ounces looks so small because restaurants make their serving sizes so huge and we get used to it.... Retraining sucks.
  • So I am excited to know that if I am eating 1/2 cup cooked pasta then that means I am only eating 1 serving since 1 cup cooked = 2oz (dried = 1 serving. Thank you for all the info!