have question's about ankle wrist weights

Options
bmw4deb
bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
Hi everyone,

Just have a question for you all, I play badminton a lot
Walk a lot and various other exercises, would it be adventitious
for me to wear ankle or wrist weights for any of these activities ??
What are the benefits of the extra weight?

Replies

• bmw4deb
    Options
    no opinions :( thanks anyway :smile:
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use ankle weights just when walking or doing leg exercises. It has helped with strengthening my leg muscles I feel. I have not experienced any negative effects from them. So I say go for it but my only advice is don't start off too heavy. I have ankle weights where you can add or take away some of the weight so I started off light and added some as I got used to it. Good Luck!!
  • nob86
    nob86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally I think there are more effective ways of training, and wrist/ankle weights are going to seriously affect your ability in badminton, and could put you at risk of shoulder injury with the extra weight. I wonder if ankle weights could affect your biomechanics adversely also.

Perhaps if there is a goal you have in mind I could give you some other ideas/inspiration?

Chris
  • bmw4deb
    Options
    Personally I think there are more effective ways of training, and wrist/ankle weights are going to seriously affect your ability in badminton, and could put you at risk of shoulder injury with the extra weight. I wonder if ankle weights could affect your biomechanics adversely also.

Perhaps if there is a goal you have in mind I could give you some other ideas/inspiration?

Chris

Thanks for your answer chris, I was really just wondering if there
    is any benefit in using them while exercising , I need to tone and was
    told this is a good option, what are your thoughts
  • nob86
    nob86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's good to add resistance into your training, but i would rather use bodyweight training, kettlebells, and gym equipment. They could be a relatively inexpensive training aid if you don't have access to a gym, though I would still rather spend a little more on a 8-12kg kettlebell. A kettlebell would be on my 'desert island' list of essentials - so versatile.

Intervals and hill runs are a great way to get more out of running.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Added weights to your ankles/wrists can also throw off your balance and promotes injury. Stick with Chris' advice.