Frustrated with my thighs.....:P

Options
So far on my weight loss adventure/journey, I have lost about 12 lbs. I've noticed that my face has slimmed down a tiny bit, my stomach is somewhat flatter, and I've developed some muscles in my legs.
But with that said, none of the weight is coming off my thighs! I have flab on my thighs and when I sit, it looks disgusting! My thighs are the only part of me that I really wanted to slim down. I wish my weight was more even around my body, because I weigh 105 and it looks like i weigh much more just because of the thighs! X(
I eat around 1000-1200 calories each day and work out about 4 times a week on the eliiptical(burning 500-700 calories). Do you guys have any advice on how I can lose thigh/hip weight? Would it help to start going on the treadmill rather than the elliptical?
I really appreciate any advice you have for me! :) thanks in advance! ^o^

Replies

• hels_bells
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain! I think that some of us are just pre-programmed to carry weight in certain places and that's the area that always loses weight last. I would keep up with your good work done so far for another few weeks to see if you notice any difference - maybe to some measuring to see if there is actually any change you're not noticing?!

I would imagine there are a good few exercises for the thigh area that will help firm them up a bit too - but sadly I'm not the best person to ask, though I would love to know!

It sounds like you've done so well so far, so don't get disheartened, I'm sure you will start to see results in that area soon!!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! if you are a pear (like me..) I lose top to bottom..thighs are last to go! Grr!!:explode: But YES running and elliptical are a great way to go!!! Don't be afraid to do some weight training as well because they will look firmer and and boost your confidence! Don't give up! you are doing great!!! :smile:
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Eek, 1000-1200 is not a lot of food. How tall are you?
    I'm facing the same dilemma. My upper torso has gotten slimmer; however, my thighs and hips are still the same size. What's up with that?
  • cariandy
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain! I think that some of us are just pre-programmed to carry weight in certain places and that's the area that always loses weight last. I would keep up with your good work done so far for another few weeks to see if you notice any difference - maybe to some measuring to see if there is actually any change you're not noticing?!
    l
    Yes!! take measurments! that is a super motivator..I bet you have lost some but are looking at them in comparison to the other places that you have lost more!
  • skinnysawyer
    Options
    Hey girl~ haha clicked this topic and didn't realize who created it! I have the same problem!!

I weigh 108 and have slimmed down but am carrying fat around my "love handles" and thighs. Maybe we have the pear shape body type???

Would love to know if I just need to lose more or tone up more.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain because I too carry weight in my rear and thighs, but thanks in part to a husband that loves my "junk in the trunk" and the fact that weight in the rear is healthier than weight in the front, I've come to terms with it over the years. You are correct that it is harder to lose, but it's also healthier.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100114/fat-in-rear-is-good-for-you

Gluteofemoral fat is measured by thigh circumference, hip circumference, and fat deposits on the legs. This type of lower-body fat storage takes more time to accumulate and is harder to break down than upper body fat.

Belly or abdominal fat is designed to be built up and broken down quickly for use by the body. But the breakdown of this type of body fat releases a stream of inflammatory proteins known as cytokines that have been linked to heart disease, insulin resistance, and diabetes.

Researchers say fewer of these pro-inflammatory cytokines are released when lower body fat is broken down, and studies show people with higher levels of this type of fat have healthier cholesterol levels.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes I think there are more of us than not. I am pear shaped too and so I've gone down to a small/medium in the top and my bras are all too big (of course!) but my bum and thighs are hanging on with all their might. We'll get there! I've been doing Zumba so my thighs are getting toned for sure, but still big!
  • happydayzz
    happydayzz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys! Yes, I think I have that pear shape.....:( But I will keep working til I slim down those thighs! ^_^
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have always had the thighs I actually didnt mind when I was young pre-baby days cause they just added to the curves which i liked even though my waist could fit in a 6 or a 4 but because I couldnt get those sizes ubove my hips and thigh area I wore a 8 but now of course they can be annoying cause Im eeven heavier after the kids and takes awhile getting out of sizes, so I know they will always be a curvy part of my body I just do some toning things like the elliptical is really good for them for cardio or try running and at the gym my favorie weight machines are the inner and outer thigh
  • Teeteetare
    Options
    You might want to incorporate some squats and lunges. I too have more weight in the thighs,hips and calves then other trouble spots. Im doing a DVD Buns of Steel 3 and I love it. It is really whipping my legs into shape. It was an old VHS workout I had but I found it online on DVD and am so glad I did. It is very effective for me. I also do cardio and weights. Mostly from DVDs like TaeBo and Iron Core Kettlebell workout. I also incorporate some Jillian Michaels DVDs and like the results I am seeing overall. I workout 6 times a week but I am alot heavier than you are. Im also eating most of my exercise calories each day. I can really see the muscle taking over in my legs and getting rid of the fat.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1000-1200 calories per day, and burning 500 calories in exercise, you really need to eat more.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're really not eating enough. You're quite thin already. At 14, you are still growing and shouldn't be stunting yourself on food and valuable nutrients or you will have a lot more health problems as you get older.

Remember, most women have thighs. It's part of what makes us beautiful. You could add some strength training to tone them - just squats and lunges would help, but eating more food would also be beneficial as your body is probably starting to eat the muscle you have.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    I feel your pain.at least we know we aren't alone.I often felt like when they put me together they put my top half on the wrong bottom!
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I'm down almost 45 pounds and my thighs and butt won't budge. I am down from a 16 to a 10 sometime 8 but still wear the same underwear!

Keep doing the cardio! You can't spot pick where you will lose the fat so just keep burning. Work on strengthen the muscles in those areas so when the fat does start to come off you will have firmer and toned muscles.

One excercise I love to do: Get down on all fours. Put a 5lb hand weight behind your knee. Squeeze your leg together to hold the weight. raise your leg to the ceiling. Do it 12 times and switch legs. Three sets. NO break in between
  • jesshall281
    Options
    yikes girl, youre 14 years old, and you want to get down to 100lbs? because you 'want to be as skinny as your friends', everyone has their own goals, but i want to give you my advice, Men LOVE shapely bodies, and one day, you wont be going for boys anymore, it'll be men, and they want women who are healthy. Please dont try and force yourself to get down to 100lbs because you want to 'look like a rock star' in your school skirt. Think about the long term :flowerforyou:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce in a specific area. I do know that running will get total body slim down results. I lost about 2 inches in my thighs from always covering them up (capris/sweat pants) and running. I have been wearing shorts lately but notice that I can get them sweating in that area when I wear pants/capris and I started really seeing some inches loss. Also some weights and lunges/squat action like what Jillian Michaels incorporates in her 30 day shred.
  • MommyMP
    MommyMP Posts: 7
    Options
    Okay first of all, you are 14 years old, 5'4 and 100lbs!!! Stop worrying about what all your friends look like and understand that everyone has a different body type. I guarantee they envy your body more than you do theirs because they want some curves in the butt and legs (which is what 80% of boys have surveyed they prefer). School is tough and High School is even worse, but you have to love yourself for who you are or else you will NEVER be happy. I have a friend that is 5'4 and 112 lbs and she is skinny all over, I wish I looked like her.... but when I lost weight and am 5'3 and 130lbs I was receiving more compliments and more attention than she was. She even spoke out and told me she wished she had more curves. At 14 you need to concentrate on your health and being physically active, your body is going through many many changes right now and the more you fight it, then the more you are at risk for serious injury. You should not weigh any lower than what you do now at your height and age or else you really could end up in the hospital!!! Please just take a serious look at how your skeletal body shape is and that of your other friends and realize you are all different. Plus, I'm willing to bet they have their own insecurities and just don't talk about and if they did, you would probably think they're little imperfections weren't even noticeable!!
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    same problem here. I've been trying to get my thighs to shrink and instead my stomach shrinks.
  • cariandy
    Options
    Sweetie! you are only 14?!? trust me..I am sure you are beautiful just the way you are!! We are all built different! My daughter is 14 as well and struggles with her self esteem! She has a very muscular build and wants skinny legs too..I tell her beauty comes from the inside out..your kindness and compassion will go much farther to making you beautiful than skinny legs! Just be who you are, stay active and be thankful for a strong and healthy body..don't listen to what magazines and the TV tell you about beauty and fitness..they are just trying to sell you a false dream and make you feel bad about being normal! At your height, you are extreemly thin..focus on sports or actvities that you enjoy!! :smile:
  • melindalamb
    Options
    Arc trainer and Treadmill