sugar is my foe.

Options
winodini
winodini Posts: 135 Member
How are you keeping sugar intake down? I can keep my calories down and manageable, but I keep going way over on my sugar. I realized this morning even my Greek yogurt has 15 sugar even though its only 110 calories per serving.

It's frustrating to feel like you are making good choices a.d realizing you aren't.

Replies

• hannahleighjw
    Options
    I agree! My calorie intake isn't really excessive, and neither is my total fat grams, but I cannot seem to stay away from sugars in foods. I like yogurt and OJ and fruit, and cereal (and so on...) and all of them have too much sugar in them. :(
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It's really hard, especially considering how loaded everything is with it! I try to make my own food and not add extra sugar instead of going prepackaged.

Yogurt is not bad, you just can't have a lot of it. Cereal...well... I got rid of cereal. I am diabetic from being overweight for a reason (I love sugar too) and anything that is loaded down I dont' keep in the house any longer...
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Call it a cop out, but I change my tracker so that it's not showing my sugar intake. :) I was getting very frustrated by always being "over" on my sugar when everything else was right in line. I realized that it was counting "good" sugar (the kind in fruits, dairy, etc) as well as the "bad" sugars I was taking in and I felt like it was out of balance, so now, I simply make healthy choices and just don't see the frustrating numbers. It's saved me a lot of heartache. :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating to feel like you are making good choices a.d realizing you aren't.

But that's sorta the great thing about this site. You can't make good decisions if you don't know what you are putting in your body.

Food has changed A LOT in the past 30 years.
    and a lot of things that are marketed as HEALTHY aren't at all. A lot of things that used to be healthy now have tons of added sugar... bread, tomato sauce, etc.

Beside the whole diabetes running rampant in my family. I have found that sugar & artificial sweeteners INCREASE my appetite so I try to keep an eye on them, just so I can stay in my calorie range.
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    This!!! For the last two months, I've had a real issue with this. Then, last week, I was resolved to keep it under, so starting with my breakfast, I just stopped eating less sugars. I know, I know, not a big help, but for example, I would have a type of veggie sausage (cause I'm a vegetarian), for breakfast instead of Greek yogurt or fruit. I ended up eating about a third from vegetables, and then I had the rest for other things, like fruit and yogurt. And now I'm always under!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The less processed foods you eat, the less sugar you will consume. Like Auntiebabs said, there is sugar in EVERYTHING nowadays. The only way to avoid it is to eat a very clean diet. Then the sugars you eat might come from your dairy, or fruit, and that's much better than the junk out of boxes.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Splenda is a very good sugar substitute.