Frustrated!!

I've been watching what I eat and keeping track of everything for about a month now. I exercise 5 or 6 times a week. The scale keeps going up. I have noticed a difference in the way my body looks, and have actually lost some inches.
Its frustrating to see the scale #'s go up, when will they go down?!!!!!

Replies

• How many calories are you eating? Are you in starvation mode? I did that when I first started on here. can't see your diary so I cannot help.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    It shouldnt take long for those scales to drop, any change is good and sometimes it is not reflected on the scales. Probably the next time you weigh it will show up. Good luck, and what ever you do, keep it up.
  • pnero007
    pnero007 Posts: 14
    If you're noticing a change in your body, you may be building some muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat. If you can compare your body fat % before you started and now, if its going down then something's working.
  • jennyj09
    jennyj09 Posts: 80
    I eat right around 1200 calories a day.

I'll work on gettin my log to show up!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    First, congratulations on losing 9 inches! That's fantastic!

Without seeing your food diary, it's difficult to determine why the weight isn't coming off. You've lost inches by strengthening and tightening loose muscle. If you're following the MFP diet and are in a calorie deficit, it's nearly impossible to gain muscle, so the weight you're putting on is likely fat. As crazy as it sounds, you may need to eat more.

I wrote this blog piece that explains why. I hope it helps!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I've been watching what I eat and keeping track of everything for about a month now. I exercise 5 or 6 times a week. The scale keeps going up. I have noticed a difference in the way my body looks, and have actually lost some inches.
    What type of exercising?
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Keep in mind that as you work out, in addition to gaining more dense muscle, your muscles are also retaining water in the healing process from the exercise. That is awesome that you are seeing in in the mirror though! That is what counts the most, but I definitely know what you mean about that darned number on the scale! Good luck!
  • jennyj09
    What type of exercising?

I walk/run on treadmill usually 2 or 3 days a week, and do the EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii 4 days a week, and crunches daily
  • jennyj09
    First, congratulations on losing 9 inches! That's fantastic!

Without seeing your food diary, it's difficult to determine why the weight isn't coming off. You've lost inches by strengthening and tightening loose muscle. If you're following the MFP diet and are in a calorie deficit, it's nearly impossible to gain muscle, so the weight you're putting on is likely fat. As crazy as it sounds, you may need to eat more.

I wrote this blog piece that explains why. I hope it helps!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Thanks!!! This was very interesting!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Hang in there! Do not get frustrated.
  • Last summer when I did a round of Chalean Extreme, and ate clean too, The first 30 days I lost inches, but no pounds. In fact, many people that I know gained a few during the first month of working out. But then the pounds dropped off as I kept at it. MAKE SURE you're eating enough. Too little and you won't lose.
  • jennyj09
    Thanks for the tips everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!