Cheesecake Factory Rolling Out Lower Calorie Menu

Options
The Cheesecake Factory, under pressure from calorie counters, advocacy groups and party poopers, today will announce plans to roll out a "SkinnyLicious" menu listing 40 items, from entrees to desserts, with strict calorie guidelines. The tall, thin menu is separate from the main menu.

"It's something America wants," says CEO David Overton. "When you're in this business, you have to please as many people as you can."

In a nation where obesity is at epidemic proportions — and where restaurants are being prodded to list calorie counts on menus — thin is in. Three months ago, Carl's Jr., which boasts about its high-calorie burgers, launched an under-500-calorie Turkey Burger. And Starbucks has rolled out low-cal entrees.

But this move by Cheesecake Factory is the cosmic equivalent of Chuck E. Cheese adding a quiet zone. Between Aug. 8 and the end of September, all 150 locations will roll out 15 entrees under 590 calories and 12 appetizers under 490.

This from the same chain with the dubious distinction of earning the top two slots on the "Worst Foods in America" list from Eat This, Not That. At 2,730 calories, Cheesecake Factory's Bistro Shrimp Pasta has the calorie equivalent of 14 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnuts, the book says.

"It used to be the only way you'd get out of Cheesecake Factory eating fewer than 600 calories was if somebody pulled the fire alarm," says David Zinczenko, co-author of Eat This, Not That. "It's really a smart business decision."

Business is business. Cheesecake Factory's same-store sales hit the skids during the recession. Although it's recovered, the pace of growth is tepid. Even then, Cheesecake Factory remains the nation's highest-grossing restaurant chain per unit, with sales at just under $10 million per unit, says Overton.

Now, more of those sales may come with fewer calories. On the "skinny" menu, fresh veggies will replace potatoes on steak and fish entrees. Tacos will have less cheese. And chicken salad will be made with light mayo, Overton says.

Article here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2011-07-29-chessecake-factory-lower-calorie-menu_n.htm

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the sodium content will look like?
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sodium content will probably be ugly just like any other place! I love Cheesecake Factory but it is def not low calo friendly. Really curious to see what they come up with!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    About time
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    So excited! Now if only they would expand into Canada I would be a super happy camper!

I just went for the first time a month ago in Chicago, they accidentally put cheese and mayo on my fish tacos after I asked for none (not a calories reason, cheese is GROSS! Hubby and I keep a happy cheese-free hating household ;) and gave me a free salad for the wait and waived the cost of my meal and I never even complained, WOW SERVICE!
  • StaceKaiman
    Options
    This is good news, we don't have the Cheesecake factory up here in Canada but when Hubby and I head accross the border we like to go, at least now there is the possibility we could eat there, their current menu made that a no go the sodium and calories were scary!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    On the "skinny" menu, fresh veggies will replace potatoes on steak and fish entrees. Tacos will have less cheese. And chicken salad will be made with light mayo, Overton says.
    You were always able to get fresh veggies with entrees. The issue I have with the Cheesecake Factory is the portion sizes! Some of their entrees easily feed three people.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You were always able to get fresh veggies with entrees. The issue I have with the Cheesecake Factory is the portion sizes! Some of their entrees easily feed three people.

I love it! You have 2 lunches for the following days... for the price of one entree ;-)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options

I love it! You have 2 lunches for the following days... for the price of one entree ;-)
    You have great self-control! :laugh: Unfortunately, a lot of people in the US don't.
  • cmonsterr
    cmonsterr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    YAY!
    I was a bit anxious about what to eat when in the Cheesecake Factory with my family when we're on holiday from the end of this month.
    Hopefully the new menu will be in the ones that we end up in.
  • rebecca9341
    rebecca9341 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This story was aired on the Today show (yesterday) and they showed about 6 or so meals with Na+ generally being in the 500-800 range. Still lots of Na+ but drastically reduced from the non low cal options. Hopefully more restaurants will catch on.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Really, unless it falls into the 400 calorie and below range I don't eat it except for special occassions anymore anyway, so it still wouldn't fit into my food budget.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this, in fact it's one of my biggest peeves about restaurants in general. Instead of the massive portions and overblown calorie counts, I'd prefer to get a "regular" portion size and pay less. My husband and I don't eat the same so splitting a plate (which just feels weird anyway) isn't usually an option. Far too often I find that the leftovers just aren't as good the next day and end up getting thrown away.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    they are doing it for business reasons, not because they give a sun dried **** about the well being of their diners.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    We don't have the Cheesecake Factory in Canada. I wish we did!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here's what I don't get,
    And maybe I'm just a health nut (*cough* budding nutritionist here *cough*),
    But why aren't ALL restaurants just plain healthy? I mean seriously. It may taste good, but having a 1k calorie meal is like smoking cigarettes.. damages the body slowly over time.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Here's what I don't get,
    And maybe I'm just a health nut (*cough* budding nutritionist here *cough*),
    But why aren't ALL restaurants just plain healthy? I mean seriously. It may taste good, but having a 1k calorie meal is like smoking cigarettes.. damages the body slowly over time.

I couldn't agree more! there was a hamburger chain in the states, i forget which, they were so proud to launch a burger, when served with a meal and a 4 pint soda and fries amounted to almost SIX thousand calories. to me, this is just legalised homicide.