what if food label looked like this?

Options

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Frustratingly awful. For so many reasons.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    We don't need that. We need to stop being lazy - read the labels, and research what is the best for us.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'd find that a confusing label.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/6796286/British-officials-accused-of-scuppering-honest-food-labels.html

This is a standard label used in britain. The goverment are trying to get a universal one which is very different and not as simple.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Clever, very visual & intuitive. Don't know how helpful it is if it isn't as concrete (but are the hard stats down below? it was harder to see)
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options

I tried to find a brit label which i think is really good but the link was too long.

you mean like this?
    _41840334_tesco.jpg
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well considering it has alot of the information that we get off of here, it can be helpful but the problem is it bases (% wise) everything off of a 2000 calorie diet...Im on a 1200 calorie diet, so how helpful is the information honestly?!!?
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I tried to find a brit label which i think is really good but the link was too long.

you mean like this?
    food-labels_1542402c.jpg

*lol* I tried again and edited. Sorry.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    As a food zealot and a graphic designer,

http://berkeley.news21.com/foodlabel/

I was a little disappointed with the solutions to this problem. Maybe I should take a stab at it see if I can do any better?
  • ashley0616
    Options
    We don't need that. We need to stop being lazy - read the labels, and research what is the best for us.

I completely agree. The problem isn't confusing food labels. It's that fact that some people just don't give a crap about what they are eating. Most people don't read food labels, even if they were written in red crayon on the front of the box they would still look at the product the way they do now. The problem is MUCH larger and involved than just a food label.

I think it's ridiculous to spend so much time and energy on changing a food label when we should be spending that time and energy helping Americans help themselves. Education, availability, and affordability are far more important in solving the obese problem than colorful, dumbed-down food labels
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    people are lazy. that is the bottom line. give them colors and charts and fancy little Michelle Obama colorful plates as a guide and what do you get? Ya still get people that are lazy. Changing labels won't change a thing.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Well considering it has alot of the information that we get off of here, it can be helpful but the problem is it bases (% wise) everything off of a 2000 calorie diet...Im on a 1200 calorie diet, so how helpful is the information honestly?!!?

Then you just need to adjust it based on 1200 calories.
  • ashley0616
    Options
    people are lazy. that is the bottom line. give them colors and charts and fancy little Michelle Obama colorful plates as a guide and what do you get? Ya still get people that are lazy. Changing labels won't change a thing.

If there was a "like" button, I'd have pushed it. :happy:
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As a food zealot and a graphic designer,

http://berkeley.news21.com/foodlabel/

I was a little disappointed with the solutions to this problem. Maybe I should take a stab at it see if I can do any better?

As someone who considers herself to be something of a design snob, I thought that was a visual atrocity! What on earth were the judges thinking? I hope you do try to come up with something better (and more pleasing to look at).
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the lazy comment, and that comes from my experience in dealing with teenagers. I had a student for two years who is morbidly obese (she honestly COULD NOT walk across my classroom without getting out of breath)..

She would ask her "friends" for their food at breakfast and lunch and they would give it to her. Some just don't care. Whatever satifies the craving then and there.