Juice vs. Water, Does juice work the same way?

Options
Hi, I'm just wondering if drinking 8 glasses of juice a day will help my weight loss in the same way that water does? I'm not a huge fan of water, so it's usually juice for me, but I've been reading up on the importance of water in dieting, and now i'm thinking perhaps juice is not helping me (obviously it has some sugars in so my body is burning those caliroes from the juice rather than other calories.

Should i try to stick to water? Does anyone think it will help? Or will juice still be doing the same job as flushing out my system and things?

Any Advice would be helpful. Thanks =D

The kind of juice i'm talking about is diluted juice, works out at about 90calories per litre. so it's not fresh fruit juices with high calorific values.

Replies

• lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The juice has alot of calories, that is why I dont drink as much as I use to.
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i have robinsons dilute juice 4 cals a cup as i hate water too x
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Juice is not the same as water. Lots of sugar!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Juice has a TON of sugar/artificial flavours/colours - I don't drink it, I throw it in the same category as soda personally.

If you're not a fan of water try adding a crystal light. It will give you a more juice-y flavour without a) the 150+ calories from a cup of juice, and without the excessive sugar.

:) good luck on your journey!
  • ngilliam1
    Options
    Juice is full of calories, where water is not. That is the difference. Try drinking water with some lemon juice added, or a calorie free drink mix~the kind you just add to the water.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    if you drink 8 glasses of juice a day, your looking at around 1000-1200 extra calories a day. You will gain weight.....
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Most juice has LOTS of calories! No, it's not the same as water which weighs in at ZERO calories. Have you tried using some of the Crystal Lights to make your water a little better for you?
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, but in my case I find drinks that are either low cal or no cal. I really like Lipton Diet Peach Tea, it says it has no calories or sugar, so would there be any negative effects of drinking it?
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Juice is not really the same as water. It does add extra calories to your diet with each glass. Some fruit juices have more calories and sugar content in them than a can of Coke! Definitely, try to get adjusted to drinking water. I used to hate drinking plain water years ago, but then I just made myself drink it, and now I prefer it over anything else (second to my morning coffee, of course!) :)
  • uvagirl24
    Options
    Juice definitely isn't working the same way as water. It's important to drink water - juice is a lot of empty calories if you are drinking several glasses a day. A glass of juice (not from concentrate) isn't bad once a day but you definitely need to be drinking more water. Try adding some fresh squeezed lemon to give it more flavor.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Try the Crystal Lite-esque drink mixes. At some point you get used to it. My mom occasionally puts of few drops of lemon juice or lime juice (like for cooking/baking) in her water to flavor it a bit, too.
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Another great option is non-caffienated herbal teas. They're a good juice alternative.
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yup, juice is pretty high calorie/high sugar normally. if you love your juices and don't want to switch to boring old water, try cutting your juice 1:1 or 2:1 with water. you might have to fiddle with ratios a bit to find a taste you like, but it will help. I know I love OJ but an 8oz glass has the calorie value as most of the things I snack on, without being filling.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's exactly the same...except for all the calories and sugar :noway:
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Juice will not work the same. There is too much sugar in it to do the same thing as water. If you really don't like water, try unsweetened ice tea. you could also try to put lemon or lime in your water, or even cucumber. These are great ways to make drinking water easier. But, juice will not work the same way.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yes it is the same as water in terms of hydrating you.

But, like everyone has said, it has a lot of calories in it. You can also get your 8 cups of fluid from fruit and veg, tea, coffee, soda, squash, anything.

People just take water as its got 0 calories.
  • Diosadealimentos
    Diosadealimentos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, it will not. Your body doesn't process juice the same way it does water. Our bodies are about 70% water and so all of the cellular functioning occurs in the medium of water. When you drink juice the body processes it as a nutrient, even unsweetened herbal tea your body doesn't process as water since it has plant substances in it. Drink water and up it at your own pace, it's not easy but it's essential. H ope this was helpful.
  • Toinbot
    Toinbot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about fresh fruit juices though, just dilited juice from concentrate, i figure it's about 180cals if i drink 2 litres a day, so it's not TOO bad. Lol.

But it probably isn't as good for me as water will be.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    As many have noted here, if you're talking about fruit juices or kool-aid, the biggest issue is the added calories. That said, if you have the room in your diet for the extra calories and sugars then yes, it is ultimately water and will work much the same way.

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't normally care for just drinking plain water. So I went with a route that's been suggested in this thread, I buy the Crystal Light packets and mix those in with my water. It adds about 5 calories per cup but that's nothing I can't afford in my diet. Makes the fluids more palatable to me.

Remember in the end the recommended water intake that you hear so much about includes any types of water. The food you each, especially fruits, contains a certain amount of water that your body will absorb. However you get your water, it all ultimately helps to hydrate your body so just be aware of the other nutritional characteristics of what you're consuming and you'll be fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm just wondering if drinking 8 glasses of juice a day will help my weight loss in the same way that water does? I'm not a huge fan of water, so it's usually juice for me, but I've been reading up on the importance of water in dieting, and now i'm thinking perhaps juice is not helping me (obviously it has some sugars in so my body is burning those caliroes from the juice rather than other calories.

Should i try to stick to water? Does anyone think it will help? Or will juice still be doing the same job as flushing out my system and things?

Any Advice would be helpful. Thanks =D

The kind of juice i'm talking about is diluted juice, works out at about 90calories per litre. so it's not fresh fruit juices with high calorific values.
    Juice has calories, water doesn't. So if you drank 8 cups of juice at 80 calories per cup, then that would be 640 calories you couldn't eat. Up to you.