I hate running

Options
Ok, so I absolutely despise running. Completely hate it. BUT, I would like to get into it more. It is an accesible exercise (you can't just elliptical anywhere), and its great cardio. I have made it my goal to start running more, but im pretty much clueless when it comes to starting out. Any tips?

Replies

• aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program, if you google it an array of programs will come up. I also dont' really enjoy running but want to get more into. I am on the fourth week of the program and it's going well. If you search on here there's a lot of posts about it too.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ever see "Santa Clause is coming to town", Just put one foot in front of the other and you'll be on your way.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    I was the same way till I bought some really good running shoes and signed up for a 5k. I'm not going to say I'm hooked.. but it is getting easier.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    try sprints or sprint intervals instead. they won't take as long and are more effective post-workout.
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K too and I hate running! Im on week 3 and seem to be doing good. Id try that.

Key thing...start slow!!! Do not over do it or you will get discouraged. Whatever rate/speed you start at is fine. Everyone is different. You will get to where you need in due time. Dont rush it!!

Good Luck!
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and it will get easier. It took me a long time to actually love running.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is the best way. No need to pay for these programs, they are available for free. Good luck!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    try sprints or sprint intervals instead. they won't take as long and are more effective post-workout.

This is what i do. As a smoker long distance running simply isnt an option for me, so i do sprint intervals. Much more manageable :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I hated running too until I really started doing it. Then I realized I love it, it is a great stress reliever AND it helps with my weight. :)

Try the C25K program - I know a ton of people have done it and had success. I didn't hear about the program until after I'd been running for a year, so I decided against trying it. :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I despised running. I completed 9 weeks of the c25k in June and I've been running ever since. Running is addictive :)
    You will begin to LOVE it very quickly! I'm beginning a 10k training program on Monday and it has me running a 5k 3x a week and building up to a total of 7 miles. I can't wait! I love how freeing running is. Just always remember, patience and endurance (what my sister always says). Go slow. Go at your own pace.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I love to run, but it wasn't always that way. I just started, I did a couple minutes jog - then I'd walk - and pretty soon I was at a mile...then 2 and so on. Last year I ran a 1/2 marathon - not sure if I'm going to try for another one but I run 3-5 miles 3 x's a week or so now, give or take.

I've heard wonderful things about couch to 5 k - that sounds like a really great program for beginners. Google it and also do a search on the boards here - I believe there are a few groups centered around the program.

Good luck! Oh, and you can do it!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I just recently got the C25K on my phone. I thought I always hated running too and thought it would be dreadfull on my knees but I've done it a couple of times I really like it. Today will be Week 1 day 3 and I have to say I've been looking forward to it since my last workout. I will most likely repeat workouts until I feel ready to move to the next day. I have to say though that my body was entirely sore after the first jog/run and my legs were on FIRE after the 2nd run but it felt good and I felt accomplished. :bigsmile:
  • elissa115
    Options
    i used to hate running myself, but ended up running my first marathon last year. I started out with slow steps, first just eased myself into running for a full 5 min, then 10 min , then 15 and so forth, walking in between. Once i got to the point where i could run a full mile, i started adding 1/2 a mile every other week. What REALLY motivated me was when i started running races, i entered my first 5 K a little over a year ago and I was hooked.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program, if you google it an array of programs will come up. I also dont' really enjoy running but want to get more into. I am on the fourth week of the program and it's going well. If you search on here there's a lot of posts about it too.

So gonna try that....thanks!
  • Sarahflutters
    Sarahflutters Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure where you are located but in Northern VA there is a store that’s called the Potomac River Running Club. It’s your average running store where you can by accessories, clothes and get fitted properly for running shoes. About 3 months ago I was in the same boat as you, hated running. Well my best friend and I signed up for a Training Program lead by that running club. Link below.

http://prtrainingprograms.com/

It helped in so many ways. Introduced us to people just like us who hated running but wanted to love it. We met twice a week for an hour and we went over technique, skill and endurance building. It was so amazing, after the 8 weeks of twice a week classes we are much more comfortable running. Do we LOVE it when we are out there not yet, but we don’t hate it anymore. This past Sunday we ran our first 5k with my sister and brother and law and it was absolutely AMAZING. We ran the entire thing! So proud. I also do recommend the couch to 5k or bridge to 10k programs. Good luck!
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Remember that shoes can make or break your running enjoyment! I was very much like you, then one day, walking was not enough. The local running shoe store typically does free assessments, and will make recommendations, if you find you are having any troubles. Good luck!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I started running many years ago for cardio exercise, and I liked it but never loved it. I did run a half marathon 2 years ago. But these days, I can't stand running at the same pace for long periods of time, so my trainer suggested I do sprint intervals -- I run very fast for me (7.3 MPH) for 60 seconds; then walk briskly on an incline until I recover my breathing (about 1.5 minutes); repeat for 2 miles. It takes me 24 minutes to go 2 miles, but he claims that I am actually burning more calories this way than if I had just run 2 miles at a steady pace. I wonder how true that is, lol :)
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    I know that it has already been repeated over and over again but I would start with the C25K program! I completed it and now I'm training for my 1st 5K and I was always the anti-runnig girl!

Good luck on your journey!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    c25k or c210k apps on the iphone (if you have one). You can also download podcasts (or play your own music with the apps).

Believe me, it's A LOT more fun when you can actually do it. I've gone from not being able to finish the 1st workout (took 5 runs to get through it!) to running for 60 minutes. I started at 45 and 197 lbs. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    One way I got into running was to start running with people who run pretty regularly. I went on www.meetup.com and found a running club in my area a while ago and it was awesome to run with and meet new people. Running with other people makes running SIGNIFICANTLY more enjoyable and tolerable when you're first starting out. My husband helped me a lot when I first started--he's a naturally talented runner, unlike me--and the best thing to do is to start out slow, go on short runs, and DON'T STOP RUNNING. Seriously! When you first start out, it's helpful to run for a few minutes then walk briskly for a few minutes and keep doing that for as long as your planned workout. But when you really start to get up your endurance to run the whole time, it's important to not stop. Running can be... uncomfortable, especially at first. But the more you push yourself to keep on going, the more you'll discover how awesome it is that you can actually DO IT!! (I'm a bit of an enthusiast!!) If you really want to try to get into running, finding other people that love it will definitely spur your enthusiasm. Good luck to you and happy running!!