Jillian Michaels Kettle Bell DVD: reviews?

Options
Hello MFP family!

I <3 Jillian. I have 5 of her dvd's but NOT the kettle bell one. I just bought my first kettle bell(10lbs) and thought this DVD sounded kick *kitten*.

Has anyone tried it? What are the reviews???

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ultimatecutie
    ultimatecutie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but i did purchase the DVD and a Kettlebell just last week. I'm very interested in seeing others reviews too :) I have heard good things about kettlebell workouts!
  • beccaellena
    beccaellena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym for martial arts and they have guys who specialize in kettlebells, in fact I just got back from a class, and they advise to NOT do Jillian Michaels ones because they aren't the proper way to do them. Also, be careful when buying kettlebells as well.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have it and was a little disapointed. I love Jillian's work outs and have nearly all of them, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I can't really say why,maybe its because it seems easier than her other stuff, I still felt like I needed a good work out at the end of it.
  • klkopa
    klkopa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have it & I think it is a good introductory workout for kettlebells. There are two levels each about 30 minutes. I like them but I don't think they are that intense, I usually do it back to back with another one of her dvds.
  • MomDuff
    MomDuff Posts: 6
    Options
    I haven't done the DVD yet. I use it during the day sometimes to help keep my metabolism up. The friend who recommended it said she does leg lifts with it while sitting at on the couch watching t.v., rather than doing nothing. That alone has been a great tip for me. :wink:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have been doing kettlebells for over a year. I suggest NOT starting with Jillians as your first KB DVD. It's a decent workout but she is weak on technique tutorial. You can really hurt yourself if you perform KB maneuvers incorrectly, ESPECIALLY in a quick-change circuit style like she does.

There are some good DVD tutorials out there or check on Youtube. Kettlebell Bootcamp, Gin Miller and Kettlebell Bombshell all offer good tutorials - or ultimately, a class or session with a certified KB trainer.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • beccaellena
    beccaellena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So sounds like you guys are saying it's easy.. well SERIOUSLY try doing actual classes at a gym you WILL feel pain it's guaranteed!!!!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    oh dear...bad reviews for JM Kettlebell...??
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    So sounds like you guys are saying it's easy.. well SERIOUSLY try doing actual classes at a gym you WILL feel pain it's guaranteed!!!!

:drinker: NO KIDDING! Kettlebells are the best workout tool I've ever used, and EXTREMELY challenging :)
  • MomDuff
    MomDuff Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion!
  • ultimatecutie
    ultimatecutie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, ok, good to know! A friend does do a class every Wednesday with a KB trainer, so maybe i'll do that instead! :smile:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Jillian has the worst form ever for Kettlebells! Thankfully, she doesn't lift heavy enough weight to injure herself, but she should not be instructing others in how to use them. The thing with Jillian is that she was a casting agent before getting her job on television as a trainer. She has one certification in personal training that anyone can get in a weekend. Seriously, my daughter passed their test without the weekend course when she was 11. She has one hell of a great powerhouse of a promotion engine though, which is why she is so popular. But certification only allows trainers to work with healthy populations in general fitness. (Technically, the clinically classified morbidly obese people on the Biggest Loser are outside the scope of practice of a basic certification because of the medical issues that go along with morbid obesity.) Basic personal training certifications teach the basics of weight training, cardio, and flexibility, and not anywhere near all of the possible exercises out there. Nowhere in any basic personal training certification are kettlebells addressed. Kettlebells are a specialty certification because there are so many intricate details that you have to study for years to get the proper teaching techniques and form ingrained in your practice to be able to safely teach them. If you want to start kettlebell training, I highly recommend looking for an RKC (Russian Kettlebell Certified) instructor or a DVD by an RKC instructor instead of Jillian. It's kind of like going to the doctor. Would you go to your general practitioner for open heart surgery? No, you go to a cardiac surgeon. When doing specialty training you should do the same thing and go to someone who specializes in that type of training. If you're perfectly healthy and just looking for general fitness, then Jillian is your girl.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I bought this because Target didn't have Ripped In 30 at the time... The first time I did it, my thighs and lower back were like, what the hell did you do to me??? for about 3 days. And not in a good way.

I vote thumbs down.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Jillian and Bob will get you injured with the "form" that they display on their videos. Seek out a qualified instructor or look into "The Kettlebell Goddess" video, or seek out videos from Franz Snideman of Revolution Fitness in La Jolla CA (he has a youtube channel).

I have been kettlebell and bodyweight specific for 4 years now, there are no better tools in my opinion. But, getting instruction from someone who is certified is the best way to go. HKC, RKC, IKFF, whichever, if they are certified they can help you learn properly. BTW, you should have no low back pain from doing kettlebell exercises.

You don't need a machine, you are the machine!