too fat to work?

Options
I know the job market is TERRIBLE these days, and it's so hard for anyone to get a job, but that kind of makes my point even more relevant.
I graduated college in 2009 and have been looking for a job ever since. I did have an internship for a while at a magazine, but it was a woman's magazine for housewives and had a relaxed atmosphere. Now I'm trying to get a job as an editorial assistant in other publishing companies.

I've gone on at least 10 interviews in the past year and I'm getting discouraged. A part of me definitely thinks that my weight is part of the problem.. I'm not ridiculously large or unkempt looking, but when it comes down to it I think a hiring manager would be more likely to pick a thin girl who looks put together and sleek in clothes than hiring me.

Thoughts? I kind of just want to hide until I lose weight... really not sure why I'm even trying anymore.

Replies

• bagpipebecky03
    Options
    I have felt like that sometimes, too on job interviews. And it definately sucks. Good luck on your job search! :smile:
  • egam
    egam Posts: 127
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was looking for just a summer job in May (which thankfully i got) and I had 7 interviews before I got a job. Plus I've been on 15 interviews in the last year looking for part time jobs mostly in the service industry (coffee shops, resturants, retail stores) and I definately feel like my weight is hindering my employability. I don't know if it is my own self doubt and insecurities or an actual bias, but I do think that people are more likely to hire skinnier people.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's not more of a "weight" issue as it is a "confidence" issue when you are overweight. I know that I don't feel as confident as I should most of the time, I'm not comfortable in my clothes I constantly worry about how much my stomach is sticking out or if I have a double chin when I look down to read something.

I know that employers look for confident candidates so embrace you for now no matter how you look! Just keep thinking, you're beautiful, smart, and talented, and you deserve the job more than else!
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My niece is 19 and weighs over 400lbs and her weight has been a significant hinderance in landing a job. You don't look heavy in your pic at all to me, but employers do look at a person's physicial appearance. Your weight may not even be the issue it could be other factors like the way you interview. If you can really sell yourself in an interview they will forget all about your weight. Don't look at it so one-sided, there could many factors, the types of jobs you're applying for, the way you dress for the interview. Many diff things to look at...........
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged! It's a hard job market out there for EVERYONE! It has been proven that weight can affect promotions and pay raises for women, but I haven't seen anything about just hiring. A good suit and professional attitude goes a long way with a job interview. And don't give up on trying to lose weight if that is your goal, it can only help and you'll feel better. Perhaps have someone in a professional position look at your resume and offer any pointers on polishing it. Mainly, just keep at it and don't get down. You're one of many in this situation.

EDIT: And add to this the fact that I was hired for my job in Fall 2009 right out of college (before I graduated actually) and I still weighed 215 lbs at the time. I went in with confidence about my skills and that this job was exactly what I wanted and a week later I had a job offer. How I looked didn't play a factor because I portrayed myself as confident and competent. Confidence looks great on everyone :)
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Not saying that this doesn't happen, because I'm positive it does.

...but don't you think you are being too hard on yourself? From your photos you look beautiful.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I think the weight/confidence may come into play - at least for myself it does.

Also, fat is the last acceptable prejudice these days! (I know it's technically not, but we see it happen all the time)
  • tttanyah
    tttanyah Posts: 14
    Options
    I think it's a very real issue, and sadly, a prejudice that is still considered acceptable by a large part of the population. I once had a boss speak up and tell me she didn't have an issue with my weight, although for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why she would, since I carried out my work tasks efficiently and beyond her standards.
  • DSteele83
    Options
    I lost my job at the end of July in 2010, I have applied for hundreds of jobs online in and out of my experience, I have gone on several interviews to never recieve a call back. Once I even received an email back stating that I didn't get the position before I even made it home from the interview. So, Yes I think that employers would much rather employee some one "skinny" and less qualified the a person with all the qualifications but it overweight.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I think it's not that being fat matters as much as the way you carry yourself and what being overweight is percieved to mean.

Most overweight people have confidence issues and more likely to be less social.
    Thin, fit people often seem to equate being overweight with lazy and not hardworking.
    Then there is just a simple fact that people of both sexes respond more favorably to more attractive people.

So, I'd say to some degree it does matter in interviews, particularly the higher up in the food chain the position is.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    A friend of mine owns a (large 20 employee) buisness and he said he would never hire someone unattractive because he has to look at them all day...HOW DISGUSTING
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm an editor and I've worked for magazines and websites. I can tell you that although women's magazines are awfully harsh when it comes to appearances, outside that narrow arena, everything goes purely on skills and experience, so please don't panic about that!

Journalism is very tough to get into - there are dozen of applicants for each job. Make yourself stand out - tailor your resume and covering letter precisely to each application.

In the meantime, write, write, write! Send in freelance pitches to papers and magazines. Set yourself up a blog on a subject that interests you suitable for public consumption. Check out magazines and websites that publish user content even if unpaid - my first ever published articles was in Runner's World for example. Write opinion pieces for local papers.

Go for big publishing houses that at first seem boring. Mine has a few very important publications and dozens no-one's heard of in niche areas like cranes and tunnels. You can easily move from one to another once you've got your foot in the door.

Don't wait for jobs to come up - call editors and ask if they recruit junior reporters and if so when the next vacancy might come up.

Sorry I can't help you further as I'm in the UK, but feel free to drop me a line if you've got any more questions.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine owns a (large 20 employee) buisness and he said he would never hire someone unattractive because he has to look at them all day...HOW DISGUSTING

That is just wrong... He could get sued for that. Isn't that against the law?
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If he gets caught at it, I suppose it could be a discriminatory act. Although....I'm not sure if perceived "ugliness" is considered discriminatory by law...but I would not want to work for someone like that anyway. *disgusted*
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know my dad....*sigh*....used to say that he wouldn't hire a fat person because that shows they lack self control (gee thanks for the support dad). (keep in mind my dad is Japanese--their obesity rate is still relatively low--although the numbers are inching up over there).

However, after graduating from college I was able to land a job, and I weighed about 220lbs. Part of it might be because in Hawaii, people are a little more laid back to a certain degree about appearance. But I think overall if you are confidant, and project your confidence that may help. But times are tough out there for EVERYONE, as many of the other posters here have mentioned.

People who are wonderful and qualified as yourself who deserve a good job, may be overlooked, but eventually I am sure you will find a position. If you are willing to move try checking out some of the public service positions. Federal government positions aren't hiring but some state and cities are still hiring.

Don't get me wrong though, there are always people like my dad, or that "guy" who won't hire someone he thinks is "ugly", because they are shallow-minded. Hell, maybe I don't have much control over what goes in my mouth (working on that), but I can file, type, and research like nobody's business! One aspect should not define a person...sadly....not everybody understands that.

keep your chin up.
    You rock it at your next interview!
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know that it does happen. Years ago I had a manager (thank goodness he didn't do the hiring) that said if it was up to him, all his workers would be thin and pretty. He didn't care about brains or work ethic...just that they looked good. I also spent a lot of years in the construction industry, and the good old boys network is alive and well, and very discriminatory about these issues.

That being said, there are a lot of good companies that do not discriminate on size or any other factor. The company I am currently with is a great example. You look around here and there are people from all nations, sizes, colors, sexes and sexual preferences, and I am in the publishing industry, so I know that you can find something if you just keep looking.

I also agree with a lot of the previous posters, don't let size influence your confidence in an interview. You get one shot to make a first impression, be confident and make sure that impression is about what a great asset you would be to their company...not your size.
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is sadly a very common issue. We'd like to think it isn't, but it's still a huge problem. I have had at least 3 past employers that discriminated against people due to their looks. I was told several years after I got one job, that it was between me and an older, heavier woman who was equally qualified. I saw a past employer immediately disregard an interviewee (afterward) because she was obese. They said it was because of health insurance reasons, but this same employer wouldn't hire a very attractive girl because "she didnt' want to have to look at that all day". Yeah, that boss had major issues. My very first job was for a privately owned insurance company, I started to notice that all the hot young girls who dressed like hookers were downstairs where the clients (all male) could see them when they came in. The rest of us were upstairs.

It would be nice to be able to turn in companies that did this, but you have to be able to prove it.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Sad to say it; but, weight discrimination is definitely alive and well. Many of the decisions are subconscious. Not much you can do about it really, except make your appearance as positive as you can, highlight your accomplishments and what you can do for the organization and work on losing the weight so their discriminate FOR you instead of against you! ;-)
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    OP,

I feel you on that one. I finished my degree in 2007 and ended up with temporary fill in jobs (not that i as super heavy) until I decided to go back to graduate school. I find it's not just weight but looks in general, weight, beauty, confidence, etc. Unless you are outshining the rest of the competitors for the position by your experience or knowledge you may even be a less unfavorable candidate because you aren't appealing and it's all about "selling yourself" to the company.

I hate to say it and maybe my opinion isn't accurate, but I totally relate to how your feeling. But certainly don't give up, because you will get to where you are going because the knowledge and experience will get you to your goals. The skinny bimbo with her expensive shoes will be more concerned about her paycheck then the job she is doing for the company. I worked in an Human Resources department and saw this stuff all the time. (and is now why I will no longer do Human Resources work! haha)