Indulge or don't induge

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
My birthday is on the 17th (yay!) and I saw that a local Japanese resturant is now offer Chef sandwiches. They have a seared yellowfin tuna, kobe beef and a pecan crusted chicken. I LOVE Kobe beef. It's so tender and delicious. This is a half pound burger here. I emailed the company that they use to get the beef to get the nutrition....the 8 oz patty is freaking 750 calories alone!!!!! I'm on a 1310 daily intake. Do I indulge and get the burger or stick with healthier sushi choices?? When I get sushi I stick to like plain tuna rolls or maybe a salmon avocado roll. I hate cream cheese so those rolls I steer clear of already.

Knowing me with a burger that's a half pound I won't finish it. My hubby and I had already talked about splitting it and he would get a sushi roll we'd split too. I already said I was having cake that'll be left over for the weekend. I don't care about that cost [I'll be making it so I'll know the info already :)] it's my birthday, I'm having cake!

Here's a link to the sandwich descriptions:

http://watkinsrg.com/uploads/Chefs_Sandwiches_7.2011.pdf

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Split the sandwich, have your cake. Your birthday is only once a year and unless you've been indulging every single day, you aught to treat yourself.
  • vibrant80
    vibrant80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Splitting the birthday burger sounds like a smart way to treat yourself to something special! (Half pound burgers are huge anyway!).
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Indulge! That sounds so delish!

Oh and Happy Birthday!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Indulge. It is ONE day.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you feel bad about the calories, how about lowering your calories the day before and the day after and add those to your 'birthday treat allowance'?
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Totally would indulge....One day, One meal!
  • GypsyRose25
    Options
    Indulgence is bliss.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    My birthday is on the 17th (yay!) and I saw that a local Japanese resturant is now offer Chef sandwiches. They have a seared yellowfin tuna, kobe beef and a pecan crusted chicken. I LOVE Kobe beef. It's so tender and delicious. This is a half pound burger here. I emailed the company that they use to get the beef to get the nutrition....the 8 oz patty is freaking 750 calories alone!!!!! I'm on a 1310 daily intake. Do I indulge and get the burger or stick with healthier sushi choices?? When I get sushi I stick to like plain tuna rolls or maybe a salmon avocado roll. I hate cream cheese so those rolls I steer clear of already.

Knowing me with a burger that's a half pound I won't finish it. My hubby and I had already talked about splitting it and he would get a sushi roll we'd split too. I already said I was having cake that'll be left over for the weekend. I don't care about that cost [I'll be making it so I'll know the info already :)] it's my birthday, I'm having cake!

Here's a link to the sandwich descriptions:

http://watkinsrg.com/uploads/Chefs_Sandwiches_7.2011.pdf

Why not make it your "cheat" day and get back on track the next day?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Sandwich... cake.... liquor.... hookers. :wink:

It's one day - indulge.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Indulge!!!!!!

It's your birthday. You deserve it. =)

If you feel like you may get the guilt trip afterwards, work out earlier in the day or after the dinner to earn that cake.
  • Elysian13
    Options
    It is just one day and it comes once a year! :P It is just one day. That one day won't make you gain back every pound. Haha, you can always eat a small breakfast and lunch. :P

Have fun! It is your birthday!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Splurge. Enjoy and savor every bite, no guilt allowed.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Indulge!!!!!!

It's your birthday. You deserve it. =)

If you feel like you may get the guilt trip afterwards, work out earlier in the day or after the dinner to earn that cake.

totally agree. I just celebrated mine at a BBQ. I knew in advance what the calories would be, so I just exercised enough to cover. If you deprive yourself... you will feel cheated.
  • amhl
    amhl Posts: 6
    Options
    I allow one day a week when I am *off diet*. I consider it a splurge but keep the exercise up. That way I don't feel I've given up everything but still keep a healthy frame of mind on diet and fitness.
    I say go for it, then get back on track the next day. :flowerforyou:
    You will find that after a low calorie intake, you may only be able to eat half! (our appetites change)
    And have a happy birthday!
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    I don't think in the realm of things that one day of getting what you really want is going to make any difference in your overall journey.
    I would say though that when eating sushi opt for the "low sodium" soy sauce as too many don't even pay attention to how much salt they intake.

Feel free anyone to friend me on here as I leave positive food for thought on my page daily to keep you inspired and motivated...

Colleen (Seattle)

Happy Birthday!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Kobe beef...well marbled, meaning lots of fat...meaning higher calories, and a whole lot more flavor. Yummm.... though I can't say I've ever really got the whole Kobe burger thing. It's kinda like ordering a glass of Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve, and then mixing it with coke. Plus, most of it in the states is Kobe style rather than actual Kobe (meaning, Wagyu cattle cross bred with Angus and raised domestically...with a similar but still different diet).

Anyway, though Kobe-style sliders can be quite good...I'd go with the sushi; but I'd do that even without worrying over the calories. I'm just partial to sushi.

Now, if it was a plate of true wagyu sashimi/carpaccio? Different answer entirely.
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This isn't a diet, it is a life style change. I think eating out on your birthday is good. It is a treat. As long as you are not indulging all the time then it is fine.
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Split the burger and have the cake. It's ok to have a cheat day even if it's just once a month or once every couple of months. Enjoy your day
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Indulge. Have the beef and the sushi and the cake and whatever else you fancy! It's your birthday and just one day of self indulgence is good for the soul and won't be damaging to your waist.

Everyone's entitled to a bit of decadence from time to time and what better reason than your birthday?
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm all on board knowing this is a lifestyle change. I understand that. I never thought of myself on a diet to lose weight. I just sorta changed some habits due to my college education and weight came off :)

I like the idea of working out hard the day before and after (I do morning work outs mainly...so not getting up at 5:30/6 AM on the bday to workout...i will sleep in thank you!) and then be on a good track til I leave for a week long vaca on the 28th!

Thanks all for saying I should just indulge and enjoy the birthday!!!!! :):):)