Treadmill Running: how to not get bored?

Replies

• krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    It helps me to use an mp3 player and headphones. Thats what helps me the most!!! Pick out your own songs and "run with it"! lol
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    There is a HUGE difference between the treadmill and running pavement. You work different muscles on pavement.

I cant stand running in place. I like to feel the wind in my face. Kick up a rabbit or a fox. Hear the sounds of nature. Each run is different! Plus it gets you outside. I dont know how you run on one of those things :smile:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    To be honest, I live inside my head more often than anywhere else. So it's not hard for me to just be on a treadmill for days and work up an entire Oscars acceptance speech as well cure cancer, feed the poor, star in an action film and knock out Jillian Michaels.

^ This is me. I have graciously become the trainer/cook for my favorite actors only to wind up back at the door of my house at the end of the run. :sad: Get creative, go inside your head, when I'm not creating peace in the middle east I'm being my own therapist, figuring out my day, my emotions, planning the book I'm working on...those kinds of things. Keeps me going for long periods of time.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    I rarely run on the treadmill for the same reason as you... SO boring! On days when I can't get out, though, I do the 30 minute challenge (it's a program button on my treadmill) that does a lot of different intervals for 30 minutes. I'm too busy concentrating on what comes next to even think about being bored!
  • I only run for tops 20 minutes 2x a week. I do HIIT - which is 2 minutes 4.0, 1 minute 8.0, repeat until you get to 20 minutes. It gives you an amazing workout and you're not bored...you're too busy recovering from the 1 minute sprint to be bored...and it goes by fast and has been proven more effective than steady state running!

P.S. That is the only cardio I do at all.

im doing this thursday at the gym!@!!!!!!
  • drakeswife09
    drakeswife09 Posts: 38 Member
    Bump
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    I HAVE to listen to music. Luckily my treadmill has a plug-in and speakers for my ipod- but I dont think I would make it 10 minutes without music.......... I have zero patience for anything so it helps keep my mind distracted.

I also find that doing a program on the treadmill- not sure if yours has that option- but it keeps me on my toes so I dont get bored. Like interval for example- as soon as I start spacing out it has me running on an incline. It just helps to break up the time and its good for you!

Recently, I have started concentrating on the things that I need to do for the day/week. I work out in the morning and it is really my only "alone" time. So, I think of the problems that need to be solved or the calls that need to be made and I organize how I am going to do all of this in my head LOL (Yes OCD does play a part in this)

Good luck!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    if you have an iphone there is an app called TreadmillVR that simulates outdoor scenery if you are running inside. i have a few friends who use it : http://www.ipadngravy.com/bring-the-outdoors-inside-with-treadmillvr/5088/
  • dave_in_delaware
    dave_in_delaware Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and letting us read about what you do to fight boredom on a treadmill.

I might try watching TV/DVD again to see how that goes for me. Something to sidetrack my mind from always wanting to check the clock. LOL.
    There is a HUGE difference between the treadmill and running pavement. You work different muscles on pavement.

I dont know how you run on one of those things :smile:
    I realize running outside vs treadmill is different.

And as far as "how" I just chose to start the C25K on a treadmill instead of outside so I didn't have to worry about heat, humidity, rain, twisting my ankle on stones, traffic, bicyclists, etc. Learning how to run by myself was tough enough without worrying about all the other crap from being outside.

BUT... Now that I almost have the C25K completed, and I'm able to run, I'll be moving outside when I can, to enjoy nature via trail running. But on those rainy, hot, humid, or winter days I'll still use my treadmill. I'll also be trying the EPOC exercises that Shin Ohtake recommends (high intensity low time sort of stuff), on the treadmill, to mix things up.
  • kmart20
    kmart20 Posts: 72
    I usually run on the treadmill 5 times a week, I switch it up each time I run...sometimes I will do interval running with inclines, sometimes interval running with speeds and then a combination of both speed and inclines. I workout at night and have a tv on to my favorite shows so it makes it go by fast. Or I watch a movie which helps as well. I also put a towel over the time so I am not looking at it consistently. I love running outside but with MN winters I got used to running on a treadmill.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    If you can see the tv, watch a movie!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    I try to run outside... because I get super board on the hamster wheel.

However in the winter, I am not one to brave the cold so I hit the gym. I usually tune into the tv station to get bored on my radio... So, I guess I watch TV. If I had a treadmill at home, I would do the same.
  • Mr_C
    Mr_C Posts: 16
    When I run on the treadmill, I am pushing myself and have limited ability to focus on anything too much. I prefer "ADHD" type shows that have short interesting or funny bits, something like america's funniest home videos, or cops, etc. It really helps make the time pass when on long runs (my record is 12 miles on the treadmill, for me that's 2 hours of boring even with a TV).

Running outside is way better, but I usually run in the same areas so it also gets old, and I prefer to run with music or a partner for longer runs.

So, Dave... Do you open carry when running outside?
  • I agree with the people that talk about interval training. I only get bored on my low intensity days. If you are trying to get your heart rate in a particular zone that is changing every 2 minutes to 30 seconds you are constantly trying to change elevation and speed so it goes by very fast. You are always "getting ready" for the sprints and so that makes it go by fast. Then you try to get something good on your IPOD for the sprints and that is a further distraction. Good luck
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Oh, the dreadmill.. I hate those things. But, they do have their uses, especially in the wintertime when it's snowing.

I have music when I run, always. I can't get into TV shows because then I'm not focused on my running, and end up getting annoyed because I forget to analyze my breathing, and I'm less in tune with my run.

What actually helps me is just putting the treadmill function on random, so it changes every few minutes, and I have to run "up" or "down" hills. Keeps my attention, since I have to adjust my stride, and focus on my breathing more. But I can't do any treadmill stuff for longer than 45 minutes, anyway, no matter what I do, because it drives me up the wall.
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    I had the SAME problem! I have found that using my mp3 player and making a workout playlist really helps me to keep my mind busy. I choose upbeat music that promotes thinking. You know the saying, "Country music: three chords and the truth" lol. It lets my brain chew on ideas and soon, it seems like a lot of time has passed. I don't always listen to country music, though... I'm a spiritual person, and I have a lot of upbeat praise music, and it has truly turned my journey to a healthier lifestyle into something spiritual.
    And sometimes, a simple good beat gives me something to match my steps to.
  • I listen to music that I like.

I play with the incline and speed every few minutes, always aiming to keep my heart rate in my target zone.

Sometimes I watch a movie or tv show on my iphone using my netflix app.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    If I run, I listen to music. I create a playlist that has only songs that are upbeat and with a good running beat. On weekends, when I'm recovering from the week, I'll walk on the treadmill at an incline, prop my iPad in front of me, and stream Netflix movies. I try to watch something different and quirky so it holds my interest.
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Curious about the poster who reads her kindle while running. Does that work out okay? I've tried reading an actual book while running on the dreadmill, but it doesn't work really well for me.

As for the OP, I have run as much as 12 miles at once on a treadmill. It's not my first choice, but Midwest winters/summers sometimes don't leave me with much choice. I once read that the key to treadmill running is to push a button every few minutes. So I'll do what previous people have suggested and mess with pace or incline every few minutes to keep things interesting. I have a spot for my laptop right in front of the treadmill, so I will watch TV too, though it's still not as motivating to me as being outside. I listen to audio books on my iPod while on long runs outdoors, and I'll sometimes use that on indoor runs too. A good playlist helps. Another Mother Runner has tons of good playlists on their site.

I've had my kids read to me while I'm on the treadmill. That's a nice way to let them practice their reading and keep them visible while still getting a workout in.

The treadmill will never be my first option, but it's good in a pinch.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    I'm an outside runner until it gets too cold and my asthma just won't allow it. I run on the treadmill about 3 months out of the year, but usually not on it for more than one hour. It doesn't sound like you are much of a TV person, but I will watch anything from the news to my favorite old Seinfeld reruns. I have seen them all and find myself looking foward to a favorite scene or line.
    If you have anything you really enjoy, you could try it!

Good Luck