I NEED HELP!! Food addiction at its worst!

Options
2»

Replies

• VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, eat filling, low cal foods before so you are not hungry when it's time for Pizza. I would suggest celery, carrots, vegies and plenty of water. It's important not to be hungry when confronted with your weakness. I know a few have said just don't have any pizza, but I don't think that is going to address your ability to control and modify your behavoir around food. Practice make perfect (or maybe close). This is a great opportunity to practice modifying your behavior.
  • kapollard
    Options
    Hi all: I am not an expert but have had some education regarding addictions....any kind whether it be drug, sexual, eating, etc. Our brains are powerful tools that tell us many things. If you don't mind, I would like to share with you the cycle: 1) preoccupation, 2) rituals 3)acting out, and 4) pain. The key is to not move into acting out but use tools to get you out of preoccupation and rituals.....so for example, I think about ice cream....think think think about ice cream.....then I might go to the freezer and think I will only eat 1/2 cup.....but instead do not measure and end up with LOTS of ice cream in the bowl. Then I eat it and afterwards wonder and sometimes feel pain and shame about the amount I ate swearing to do better the next time. BUT what if I use my tools.....like diversion, or physical activity or cleaning a closet or anything else that will DIVERT me from the thought - change my thinking. Then I don't move into phase 2. But even if I do move into phase two and then 3....can I use a tool like a measuring cup to have the ice cream in moderation? Yes, I can....and I agree - prior to eating it, find out the calorie count and does it fit into all of the categories - carbs, fats, sodium, etc? This is such an amazing program MFP.....knowledge brings power.....and I know I have the power to control what goes in my mouth. The brain is a tricky thing.....you just have to reprogram it and it listens to you. I DO have power over the ice cream.....it does not have power over me......my thoughts on the subject of 5-6 slices of pizza.....
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If I have to be around a tempting food, there's just no point in trying. I have tried and tried again to be good in these situations, and I fail each and every time. I'm not much help. Maybe show up late, after all the pizza is eaten. You could pre-log it in your food diary, but that never works for me, either. I've had to get very strict with friends and family about where we go. If they don't understand, that's not my problem.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that trigger me like this as well, good (or even bad) pizza being one of them! I have tried eating before I go, that didnt help me. I still ate just as much and felt worse because I'd already ate as well. The best thing I can tell you is either 1- don't touch a slice! Once I do, it's over for me. And 2- guzzel as much water as you can, before after and during the get together. Hopefully that will make you so full you won't be able to fit in much pizza, and might not even want it. Water is the only thing that seems to help me.
    And stay away from the alcohol! It never helps with the willpower :P
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Oh your pizza is my potato chips! They are my single favorite thing...especially the salt and vinegar. I can't just have one or two, or one serving....I get totally out of control.
    For me, I don't even have one. I ate them on a cheat day about a month ago with my very healthy sandwich, and probably had 3-4 servings. Logged it and was simply disgusted at 1000 calories.
    Good Luck,
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to order one pizza without cheese and loads of veggies?. That takes away a lot of calories and fat. Then you can take three slices and close the box and then - make sure you savor each bite. Take a bite, put the slice down, then chew at least 50 times, for every bite. If you take the time to chew and taste, you are often likely to eat less. And I second the water suggestion.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Great responses! I will also take the idea of eating my toppings first (slowly) and then cutting the pizza into bite size that way it last longer! I cannot believe how many amazing/helpful responses i have received on this! You have no idea how much thanks I have for all of you that responded! This morning before I walked out the door to go to work my mom said "oh and by the way its winco pizza night tonight" and I said "OH NO! .....Well hopefully MFP's can help me!"

Thanks guys/gals!
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Looking up the calorie count before I go helps me stay under... Instead of 'delicious pizza' I see 600 calories a slice!

this!!! recently I had the chance to eat my all time favorite funnel cake until I looked it up and it was 700 calories!!! I didnt even bother after that!

I also say drink plenty of water and maybe try looking into adding a little peppermint oil into the water it REALLY helps me with all kinds of cravings!