All About Artificial Sweeteners

Options
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=289

What caught my attention: So how much artificial sweetener can an adult safely consume each day, according to these ADIs established by the FDA? Here's an example: To reach the ADI for aspartame (which is 50 mg/kg body weight per day), a 150-pound adult would need to consume 20 (12-ounce) cans of diet soda OR 42 (4-ounce) servings of sugar-free, diet gelatin OR 97 packets of tabletop sweetener in a single day.

I consume only 2 artificial sweetener per day that I add to coffee. I don't crave sweets the whole day and it keeps my sugar intake to a minimum. What are your thoughts on artificial sweeteners? Is it really THAT bad or it's a-okay?

Replies

• jetbutterfly
    Options
    Personally too much of anything is bad for you. I do not consume anywhere near that amount of splenda, so that makes me feel good. My opinion I think they are o.k. I def do not want to be on them long term just until I lose weight and then control the real deal in the future, but I guess I would have to say they are o.k. thanks for putting this up! :)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't touch chemical sweeteners with a ten-foot pole. Why would anyone want to put that tumor-inducing disgusting stuff in their bodies?
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Too much of the stuff gives me a MAJOR headache! My daughter can't touch it - not even in gum or she gets a migraine. I think people are different as to what they can tolerate. I have started using liquid stevia not bad reaction thus far.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I use splenda, I love splenda, I don't need too much to be happy. I don't want to live a life without sweetness and I don't want any sweetness with calories if I can help it.

I'm waaaay more likely to die of a heart attack or stroke than splenda induced cancer.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I avoid it like the plague....I would rather just have the couple of calories in natural sugar. There are way too many health problems that seem to be around that weren't around before artificial sweeteners...
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mary d523. I don't touch the stuff...because it causes cancer and is not safe for pregnant women or children to consume. Why would I put that in my body? In addition, I don't think it helps with "weight loss." Sure, it has no calories but it still does something funky. People who drink diet soda all day long will lose weight if all they do is switch to drinking water. I'm no doctor, but I seen this happen. So what gives? I dunno...but I wouldn't touch the stuff.

What i do touch is stevia. It's a plant that tastes sweet (like many plants, actually). When it's used a sweetener, it's an extract of something natural...like an extract of green tea would be. To me, this makes more sense. If a tea leaf tasted like sugar but had no calories, you'd use it wouldn't you? Well, that's what stevia is. There's lots of stevia products out there- my favorite is a soda line called Stevia (creative, huh?). The soda is great! However, I don't really like the powdered stevia sweetener- it has a funny aftertaste I don't care too much for.

I also aim to use unrefined sugars as much as possible. I don't know if it's got less calories but it does have more nutrients.

When it comes to sweet tooth issues, I think the best thing is to slowly ween yourself off the sugar. Use stevia instead of chemicals. The other thing I do is I cave in to my cravings, but I carefully calculate how much running I'd have to do for different options and make my choice based on how far I'm willing to run for a brownie or a peice of cheesecake (my cheesecake is totally worth a five mile run!).
  • LeCitron
    LeCitron Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm trying to wean myself off of artificial sweeteners, personally. I gave up all soda for the New Year (haven't broken that one yet, and oddly enough, I don't miss them at all). Instead, of soda I started drinking water with Crystal Light drink packets. I figured they were a bit better than sodas, but it's still a lot of false sugar. I also love tons of Sweet and Low in my tea. When a mug of my tea requires four pink packets and I'm drinking four mugs a day it gets to be a bit much.

The chemical alteration of the sweeteners scares me a bit as well. I mean, I'm part of the first generation to be raised on this stuff. How do I know what it'll do to my body later on? I'm trying to get used to Truvia and Stevia. They're not too bad and now I combine the two for my tea.

I don't think they're bad if used sparingly but they still tend to freak me out. I'll be interested to see where this thread leads. This is a question I've wanted an answer to for a while so thank you for bringing it up!
  • jetbutterfly
    Options
    I agree with Mary d523. I don't touch the stuff...because it causes cancer and is not safe for pregnant women or children to consume. Why would I put that in my body? In addition, I don't think it helps with "weight loss." Sure, it has no calories but it still does something funky. People who drink diet soda all day long will lose weight if all they do is switch to drinking water. I'm no doctor, but I seen this happen. So what gives? I dunno...but I wouldn't touch the stuff.

What i do touch is stevia. It's a plant that tastes sweet (like many plants, actually). When it's used a sweetener, it's an extract of something natural...like an extract of green tea would be. To me, this makes more sense. If a tea leaf tasted like sugar but had no calories, you'd use it wouldn't you? Well, that's what stevia is. There's lots of stevia products out there- my favorite is a soda line called Stevia (creative, huh?). The soda is great! However, I don't really like the powdered stevia sweetener- it has a funny aftertaste I don't care too much for.

I also aim to use unrefined sugars as much as possible. I don't know if it's got less calories but it does have more nutrients.

When it comes to sweet tooth issues, I think the best thing is to slowly ween yourself off the sugar. Use stevia instead of chemicals. The other thing I do is I cave in to my cravings, but I carefully calculate how much running I'd have to do for different options and make my choice based on how far I'm willing to run for a brownie or a peice of cheesecake (my cheesecake is totally worth a five mile run!).
    QUESTION: Is there proof artificial sweetners causes cancer?
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    Stevia is also part of the sweeteners discussed. As for the cancer debate, a lot of other things cause cancer. Simply being in an environment near gas stations, working in a salon, some cosmetics, hair dyes, use of cellphones, pollution, smoking and simply staying out in the sun. If the Acceptable Daily Intake (the intake a person can safely consume without causing any health risks) is 97 packets a day. I dont think 2 packets would cause any harm. I dont drink diet soda, I merely use two packets daily for my coffee. There is a discussion of different sweeteners and most if not all is excreted by the body unchanged and does not have an effect on glycemic response.

Thanks for the responses. I just want to see different responses to this topic.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Stevia is also part of the sweeteners discussed. As for the cancer debate, a lot of other things cause cancer. Simply being in an environment near gas stations, working in a salon, some cosmetics, hair dyes, use of cellphones, pollution, smoking and simply staying out in the sun. If the Acceptable Daily Intake (the intake a person can safely consume without causing any health risks) is 97 packets a day. I dont think 2 packets would cause any harm. I dont drink diet soda, I merely use two packets daily for my coffee. There is a discussion of different sweeteners and most if not all is excreted by the body unchanged and does not have an effect on glycemic response.

Thanks for the responses. I just want to see different responses to this topic.

Yes, lots of things cause cancer. Despite that fact, I will continue to avoid as many of them as I can.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have about 24 ounces of Diet Mountain Dew and a bit of Splenda on occasion. I don't think there's a thing in the world that would make me give up Diet Mountain Dew completely. It's my coffee.
  • jetbutterfly
    Options
    Im just wondering if there is proof, I am sure that would be helpful to everyone.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that link — it's very illuminating!

Here's the money quote for me "An ADI is the amount of artificial sweetener a person can safely consume (per kilogram of body weight) on average, every day, over a lifetime without incurring any health risks. This includes a 100-fold safety factor, meaning that the ADI is 1/100th of the actual amount that is considered safe for daily consumption."

Read the second sentence once or twice.

Yes, the ADI is 1/100 of the amount an adult can consume every day for their entire life without any health risks.

Those are incredibly powerful words.

I had no idea it was so innocuous.

Another myth bites the dust!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I put splenda in my coffee and drink 1-2 diet sodas a day. I'm not really concerned about it.
  • Ssbischoff
    Options
    There is some useful information on MAYO Clinics website. I find it interesting that the myth of cancer is still around after it was found incorrect years ago. The myth comes from the 70's when sugar subsitutes were given to rats. They got tumors on their bladders, so everyone thought it caused cancer. Years later, it was found that rats have a different component to their bladders that is affected by the artificial sweetners, that humans DO NOT have. MOST sugar subsitutes do not have any calories, and do not affect blood glucose. Spenda, is actually made from real sugar. I encourage anyone who has real questions about the affect to do their research, because it might surprise you.
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    Donald Rumsfeld had a hand in getting Aspartame pushed for approval by the FDA. Enough said.
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    There is some useful information on MAYO Clinics website. I find it interesting that the myth of cancer is still around after it was found incorrect years ago. The myth comes from the 70's when sugar subsitutes were given to rats. They got tumors on their bladders, so everyone thought it caused cancer. Years later, it was found that rats have a different component to their bladders that is affected by the artificial sweetners, that humans DO NOT have. MOST sugar subsitutes do not have any calories, and do not affect blood glucose. Spenda, is actually made from real sugar. I encourage anyone who has real questions about the affect to do their research, because it might surprise you.

Oohh nice info! Everything gets tested on rats first when we humans arent similar at all to them. Their symptoms just mean its a risk. Thats why they go to phase two where they get human participants to try the product.
  • jetbutterfly
    Options
    yeah thanks I was trying to push the proof point because ppl like to run their mouths and make it look so bad and make it look like their way is the only way, so I was just trying to see if any of those ppl had proof and of course no. I really am glad you made this post though :)
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I gave it up i dont drink diet drinks anymore just water
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    yeah thanks I was trying to push the proof point because ppl like to run their mouths and make it look so bad and make it look like their way is the only way, so I was just trying to see if any of those ppl had proof and of course no. I really am glad you made this post though :)

Hey, I think this is a good point. In two minutes I found one website that said studies were "inconclusive" (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners) and one that said aspartame causes cancer (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/34040.php). I have done scientific research myself (albeit of a different nature than these studies) and I can say for a fact that there are always so many variables that it is really hard to prove anything in science. The basic scientific method is to create a "null hypothesis" which assumes no affect and the study has to disprove the hypothesis for it to be considered "proven." There is an inherent tendency in favor of no effect in the scientific process. Another element is the idea of a controlled environement. You can't really completely control a study that would prove cancer being caused by only one ingredient in a human because, well, we are around stuff that causes cancer all day long. How can we prove it was the aspartame and not the cell phone, or the sunlight, or the other environmental toxins in the air? For me myself personally, if I find one study that indicates aspartame causes cancer, given the intrinsic tendency towards a null hypothesis of any scientific study, I am inclined to not risk it.

In addition, when I was pregnant, the doctors told me that I shouldn't take any artificial sweeteners because they can cause birth defects. I"m not a doctor and I never researched it, but that left a lasting impression.

All that being said, we also know that peanut butter often contains carcinogens and I"m not giving that up (http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/carcinogen.htm).Also, just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's good for you (tobacco comes to mind, as do the various poisonous mushrooms).

Soooooooooooooooo.....you're right in that it hasn't been definitely proven to cause cancer across the board. But remember there was a time when scientists didn't all agree that cigarettes were bad for you either. It's a matter of what risks are you willing to take. I'll take my chances with peanut butter. I"m not going to take my chances with something that is made in a lab that hasn't been a a part of the environment that my species evolved in over thousands of years and therefore, in my thinking, is less likely to be a substance my body is designed to deal appropriately with.

Hope that helps!