Coming back after an injury...

Options
I dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago. I was right in the middle of a great working out/eating right groove. Now I can't get my head right to get back into it... Any suggestions?

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It is tough but you must do it. The longer you wait the harder it will be for your brain and body. Take it easy and consult with your doc about what is appropriate but don't delay. There isn't any tips or tricks you just have to put one foot in front of the other, ya know? Make decisions, drink water, walk, start back with logging cals whatever. Just do whatever you can to start reconditioning your head to get back to it. You already know that you can because you did it before! Good luck.

I had an entire spring season of injuries, it was murder!
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from some injuries and had a VERY hard time getting going again.

I'm finding MUSIC that makes me need to move is one of the biggest motivators (when the rest of the world leaves me feeling demotivated).

I have tasted success and am unwilling to give it up no matter how much I want to quit and eat crappy foods.

If you need... FORCE yourself away from the junk... FORCE yourself to exercise. With me after a few days of pushing myself when I really didn't want to do it has helped me push through it.

Do it for yourself, BUT if you have someone else who inspires you to succeed... do it for them.
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I have been there a couple of times - knee, ankle, and back injuries. It is sometimes hard to get back in the swing of when you still vividly remember the pain of an injury. My best advice is to ease yourself back into it, and listen to your body. Especially, when I hurt my back (I spent almost a month in bed).I could feel stress in the area I injured. When I felt stress I stopped what I was doing. I still worked out, but I was very careful to notice the warning signs. I am not sure if you did physical therapy, but if you did consulting your therapist is not a bad idea. They usually give you some exercises to help rehab the the area you hurt without re-injuring.

My husband hurt his shoulder in December and has slowly eased back into his activities. He went to a doctor and got a cordisone shot. The doctor told him to either ease back into things after 6-8 weeks, and/or go to physical therapy. Most importantly he told him to continue lightly using it or he could lose range of motion. After almost 8 months, he almost back to normal. He is back to using weights, but not quite as much as before the injury. I hope this helps.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I had that issue as well.

I was out for a good month and a half with hernia surgery.

Get some good music on, and just get through the first few workouts and things will work out.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    oh man I did that a couple of months ago and now I have to go for surgery cause I tore the labreal cartridge so not looking forward to that, good luck getting back into things :-)
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't get in to see my doctor until the 16th.

I had been doing C25K and turbofire. I was thinking of resuming the running and holding off on turbofire until after I see my Dr.