Fast Food 101

Options
Mangoaddict
Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
I try to resist but once in a while I will go to a joint...I was wondering if people could put a list of all the "healthier" options to eat at the various food outlets. For example, what is better to eat at Mcdonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's etc. What do you eat and consider healthy at these food outlets?

A ready and handy list will give us ideas and better options.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I try to resist but once in a while I will go to a joint...I was wondering if people could put a list of all the "healthier" options to eat at the various food outlets. For example, what is better to eat at Mcdonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's etc. What do you eat and consider healthy at these food outlets?

A ready and handy list will give us ideas and better options.

Thanks in advance!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell Fresco style:drinker: Good stuff:bigsmile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I like the BK Tendergrill chicken at burger king - no mayo or sauce just meat and veggies with the apple fries on the side (and yes the caramel too).

If you're looking in general - Subway is the best for lower cal/fat options.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    El Pollo Loco skinless breast meal! 321 calories (get lots of salsa to put on the salad and veggies)

In n Out burger, Hamburger protein style, no sauce, with mustard and ketchup. 160 calories,( I get two and really feel like I'm spurging)

Both of these are yummy and really filling.
  • healthychic
    Options
    This probably isn't the best thing to do but whenever I get a burger from mcdonalds or a chicken sandwich from wendy's, I take off the top bun. That cuts down on the calories. Also I try to get a side item that is a better choice. Yogurt, fruit, baked potatoe...ect.

-Danielle
  • Erica92627
    Options
    Look at the Eat this Not that website and/or books. If you're going to eat junk you might as eat this junk instead of that junk. Not the best thing for you but better of the two as for the stuff in the foods.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Look at the Eat this Not that website and/or books. If you're going to eat junk you might as eat this junk instead of that junk. Not the best thing for you but better of the two as for the stuff in the foods.

Love that site!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    At McDonald's I get the chicken nugget kid's meal with 6 nuggets and fries...not the healthiest, but it's always within my calories.

Subway is by far my favorite, the turkey and ham sub is so yum

At Wendy's I get the taco salad

Burger King offers the "cleanest" and healthiest salads that I know of because they don't automatically come with tons of cheese and other things like bacon and croutons on them
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    nix the cheese and condiments- mayo, special sauce, ketchup etc, and have mustard instead. Lots of fast food chains offer a lighter menu. Many even post nutritional info in their stores, which is great if fyou get caught offguard though.

At mcdonalds I get 2 chicken fajitas, at wendy's I get the regular hamburger with a sidesalad. Mostly I just stick to subway though... mmmm subway!:drinker:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    At mcdonalds I get 2 chicken fajitas, at wendy's I get the regular hamburger with a sidesalad. Mostly I just stick to subway though... mmmm subway!:drinker:

I LOVE McDonald's fajitas but they don't offer them here anymore...I could eat the mild picante sauce right out of the packet it comes in...ohmigosh I am coming to visit you Kerri...we can go have fajitas together!
  • bcakes81178
    Options
    I've been told that if you're craving Fast Food Wendy's is the best place to go. Their grilled chicken sandwich is only one with a whole wheat bun... which makes a big difference health-wise. Plus you can switch up the side or for chili or a salad.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Long John's now has grilled stuff. The tilapia is just 110 calories. I've had it twice in 4 days!
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-a chargrilled sandwich with a side of fruit.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Chick-fil-a chargrilled sandwich with a side of fruit.

They also have a carrot and raisin salad...it's pretty good...I don't think it could be too terribly high in calories but I don't really know...but it's SO good! Tastes orangey and tangy and sweet from the raisins...yum!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

I have that book. Very informative and worth to have on hand. Never went to the site though...gonna have to check that out.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    I've been told that if you're craving Fast Food Wendy's is the best place to go. Their grilled chicken sandwich is only one with a whole wheat bun... which makes a big difference health-wise. Plus you can switch up the side or for chili or a salad.

They have a grilled chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun at A&W too! I used to always get it back in my fast food days. it's very yummy!
  • kerrilucko
    Options

I LOVE McDonald's fajitas but they don't offer them here anymore...I could eat the mild picante sauce right out of the packet it comes in...ohmigosh I am coming to visit you Kerri...we can go have fajitas together!

You're on! My fiance and I have to do a 4-day road trip to get back to where our families are for xmas, and I always get those fajitas along the way. Fast food is all we can do because we only stop for a few minutes at a time (2 cats in the car with us) and so I have to pick healthy things... but those are damn good!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    BK has a garden veggie burger here (Chicagoland)...guess it's on their regional menu. But I think its like 300 cals or so...but all fast food is so high in sodium. That's what makes me feel yucky....I can stay within cals (esp. the Fresco menu at Taco Bell) but I just feel so bloated after. I will check out the eat this not that site...my favorite fast food is...drum roll please....Egg McMuffin with no cheese-only 250 cals. But, there's always a but, it doesn't fill me up for that long.
  • ljbowers
    Options
    Try Wendy's small chili.
  • chrissypoo
    Options
    thanks for the website info. its a great site!