Perhaps a newbie question...

Options
LeonaWFU98
LeonaWFU98 Posts: 28 Member
Hello all! I just recently signed up with MFP, so please forgive my question if it's asked all the time.

I'm wondering if there's a consensus regarding nutritional information on recipes where olive oil, etc. is used to roast veggies or marinade meat. Obviously, you don't actually ingest many of those calories and that fat, as it's left on the baking sheet or in the marinade.

I'm just wondering what others do about this , or if there's a general consensus about how to deal with it?

Thanks!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just log the full tbsp that I use. If I'm cooking for two people at the same time, I'll log half the tbsp because I figure my food is only absorbing half of it. lol Olive oil has good fats in it, so don't worry about it. Just make sure you account for it because for awhile, I wasn't and I think I'm doing better now that I am.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just log the full tbsp that I use. If I'm cooking for two people at the same time, I'll log half the tbsp because I figure my food is only absorbing half of it. lol Olive oil has good fats in it, so don't worry about it. Just make sure you account for it because for awhile, I wasn't and I think I'm doing better now that I am.

I do the same thing.
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    I have had the same question, since I often use olive oil and other items in my marinades. For meat and veggies I just add a tablespoon or so to food tracker, because I don't feel like they absorb much more than that.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I roast veg or potatoes, I use olive oil cooking spray. The calories are REALLY low. Like 5 for a one second spray. I don't even count them. When I use real olive oil, I do what Arielle does. Log according to how many servings.
  • LeonaWFU98
    LeonaWFU98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'd been logging it all, and just wanted to see what others do :)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I do the same thing.
    Me three...
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have had the same question, since I often use olive oil and other items in my marinades. For meat and veggies I just add a tablespoon or so to food tracker, because I don't feel like they absorb much more than that.
    Ah yes - for marinades, I generally measure how much I put in, and then when I'm getting ready to grill (or whatever), pour excess marinade into a measuring cup. The difference (divided by however many servings) is what I log.