Very upsetting =(

Options
Yesterday was my first weigh in, I did awesome all week, I went from fast food all the time and soda every day, to eating healthy, and within my calorie limits, and working out at least 30 minutes a day...and I lost 2 lbs!! Then just now I got curious (I know I should have stayed away from the scale) But I gained the 2 lbs back!! Now I'm back at square one?!?!? :ohwell:

:angry: I just want to go eat some cookies or something...but I won't.

Replies

• Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first weigh in, I did awesome all week, I went from fast food all the time and soda every day, to eating healthy, and within my calorie limits, and working out at least 30 minutes a day...and I lost 2 lbs!! Then just now I got curious (I know I should have stayed away from the scale) But I gained the 2 lbs back!! Now I'm back at square one?!?!? :ohwell:

:angry: I just want to go eat some cookies or something...but I won't.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You can't weight in the evening--you're carrying around in your body all the food and liquids you've consumed today, and that will cause you to be heavier. You should only weigh in the morning, AFTER bathroom time, to get your true weight.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Yea my first weigh in was first thing in the morning... I will definitely keep what you said in mind, and stay away from the scale at night time. I need to learn to only weigh in once a week :grumble: Now I am under my calories and I don't want to eat anymore because that stupid 2 lbs depressed me. :ohwell:
  • rudyann
    Options
    It's gonna be a battle, but you can't let it get you down and stop you from trying. Also remember, when your working out you may be gaining muscle as well. So you want to make sure to check your measurements.

Keep going!!!!! Stay strong....think of how good your gonna look. You can do it!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yea my first weigh in was first thing in the morning... I will definitely keep what you said in mind, and stay away from the scale at night time. I need to learn to only weigh in once a week :grumble: Now I am under my calories and I don't want to eat anymore because that stupid 2 lbs depressed me. :ohwell:

You've got to eat those calories or it will prove detrimental in the long run. You didn't "gain" 2 pounds. You simply are toting around a day's worth of "stuff" like I said.

Besides, if you let a little gain like that get you down, you're in for trouble when bigger problems like plateaus, etc. arise. Try not to let it get some distressing.

Also keep in mind that our weights can fluctuate up to 5 pounds on any given day--particularly women's--due to water retention, TOM, etc.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to be just like you! Don't weigh yourself at night! Do it only in the morning and only once a week. It's hard but it makes your life better.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

Something another member told me ages ago was....
    If all you want to see if progress only chart your losses.
    Now, that doesn't work for everyone. Some NEED to see the yo-yo but for me, I just do more damage if I see it.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragements :smile:

I will focus more on measurements and how I feel, rather than the numbers.
    I'm not giving up, I already feel better health-wise since dropping fast food and only drinking water, so that's worth it to me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

:huh: Well if you get upset over gaining 2 lbs from morning to night, you should probably avoid eating or drinking anything ever again.

Two 8 oz. cups of water = 16 oz. = 1 Pound.
    4 oz. chicken breast + 4 oz. veggies + 2 oz pasta + 8 oz water = 1 Pound, 2 oz.

There are 3500 calories in one lb of fat. Are there 3500 calories in 4 oz of chicken, 2 oz pasta, a half cup of veggies and a cup of water? No. So even though we gain a lb from that meal, it is not a lb of fat.

If you're going to use the scale, you have to educate yourself on how the body works or you will never enjoy this lifestyle, never be happy with yourself, and always striving for some arbitrary number that tells you nothing about your health.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    I understand all of that, and yes, I am new to this so I have a lot to learn.
    But if you look above, I said I am happy with the fact that I already feel healthier, and that's enough for me. So yes, I will be happy with myself, and the number doesn't mean everything to me. :tongue:

:huh: Well if you get upset over gaining 2 lbs from morning to night, you should probably avoid eating or drinking anything ever again.

Two 8 oz. cups of water = 16 oz. = 1 Pound.
    4 oz. chicken breast + 4 oz. veggies + 2 oz pasta + 8 oz water = 1 Pound, 2 oz.

There are 3500 calories in one lb of fat. Are there 3500 calories in 4 oz of chicken, 2 oz pasta, a half cup of veggies and a cup of water? No. So even though we gain a lb from that meal, it is not a lb of fat.

If you're going to use the scale, you have to educate yourself on how the body works or you will never enjoy this lifestyle, never be happy with yourself, and always striving for some arbitrary number that tells you nothing about your health.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting on the journey to a healthy new you!
    Kelly
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    Friday mornings are my check-in day. I get out of bed, use the bathroom, strip down to nothing, and step on the scale and do measurements. Then hit the shower and have some breakfast. To get consistent numbers, you've got to stick with the same *routine* and do it at the same time, same circumstances (no breakfast, nothing to drink yet, etc) and preferably naked! LOL. That should give you your actual, no questions about it, weight and progress! Good Luck :smile:
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Friday mornings are my check-in day. I get out of bed, use the bathroom, strip down to nothing, and step on the scale and do measurements. Then hit the shower and have some breakfast. To get consistent numbers, you've got to stick with the same *routine* and do it at the same time, same circumstances (no breakfast, nothing to drink yet, etc) and preferably naked! LOL. That should give you your actual, no questions about it, weight and progress! Good Luck :smile:

I am going to do this every Monday morning :wink:
    Thanks!!

(And thank you Kelly ^^^ )
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It's normal for body weight to fluctuate by a couple of pounds every day and throughout the day. It depends upon when you've eaten, what you've eaten, what you've had to drink, how much, when the last time you went to the bathroom, where you are in your monthly cycle, etc, etc, etc. The scale only tells part of the story and it's best not to live or die by what it says. What matters is your weight over the long run, but also how your clothes fit and how you feel. You can get thinner while gaining muscle, so weight is not everything.