Rough day at SF (marathon race report)

Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
Not sure where to put this. Not an NSV per se, so this is as good a place as any.

SF is a great race, you are all but guaranteed perfect (cool) running weather in the middle of the summer. Plus it makes for a great weekend getaway (even better because we ditched the kids). This was my 2nd time running SF, having done it 6 years ago.

The race starts crazy early (5:30 AM) with my wave going at 5:32. This is because they have to get all the runners over and back over the Golden Gate Bridge so they can reopen all the traffic lanes.

My goal was to run a little under 3:30 (~ 8:00 pace). My plan was to not push too hard early, and worry about even effort in the hills more than pace and then have enough left to drop the hammer at the end. I lined up with the 3:30 pace group, but they were going out a little too fast at the start, so I wisely let them go. I ran a few miles with my friend Nadia, then let her go as well.

We hit our first climb, followed by a down, then were gearing up for the run up to the bridge. I'll tell you all a secret about bridges, it is a code word for hills (I learn this at the NYC Marathon year ago). That said, it is cool to be running over this iconic landmark.

A quick out and back over the bridge, follow by a little downhill and we're climbing yet again. Once we crest the hill we are treated to quite a few more "rollers" on our way to Golden Gate Park. I hit the half just under 1:47, which seemed about right to me. I hung ok through all the rollers in park, but I was ready get out of the park (as the course twists and turns all around the park).

Once you finally leave the park, you are greeted by a long downhill on Haight St (~ mile 19). I really let it fly down the hill, I felt great at a 7:20 pace.

Somewhere around mile 21(?) there was a really short, steep down. Somehow I managed to strain my knee. The downs went from being my favorites (as usual) to pain and misery with every steep. After that, every step was painful and I could no longer run fast. I watch my pace go from MP, to LSD, to recovery and beyond.

Splits look like a bonk (last 10K was ugly), but this was a different deal (having bonked plenty of times). I came in at 3:43:01. Glad to be done with marathon #23.

Later in the day we had a few hours to kill before our flight, so we walked all over the city. No knee trouble until we had to walk a steep downhill (California St out of Chinatown), my knee hurt so badly I had to walk down backwards.

So now I will lick my wounds and get ready for the next one.

In hindsight, I think I forget exactly how hilly SF was (ran a 3:34 there in 2005). I think I was in 3:30 shape for an easy course, but not this hilly thing. No worries though.

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you beat the odds and did a grt job! Even with your knee that is amazing time and just doing it is even better than anything!
    *HIGH FIVE*
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    Marathon #23? That is awesome! Who cares what your time is, you did it!!!!!! Great time though, by the way! Haha! Sounds to me like you have done plenty of marathons and need to break into the ultra world! If you can go 26.2, what is stopping you from going further!? Congratulations! Hopefully one day I can make it into the marathon world too.... My husband would love that, especially when he told me he wanted to go run the marathon in Hawaii one year for our anniversary and I told him where he could shove it.... Now... I am thinking maybe.... Time will tell! Congrats on your run! Sounds great and the knee will heal!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's a real bummer about the knee, but it seems like you've been around these marathons enough to keep a really good attitude about things when they don't work out the way you'd hope.

Hope the knee heals up quickly and you are in good form for the next one.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm in awe! I've never ran a marathon or even a half. Just 5K's and one 5 miler. I did notice one thing you said to be familiar and true...bridge is code for hills! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your run with us! :drinker:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Awesome race report and great job on the race! I can only dream about finishing sub-4 hour right now, but one day I will get there.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think that your injured running pace is still faster than my all out running pace. =) Nice job and way to push through.

I've heard great things about the SF race. My running coach was an ambassador this year and said it was the most fun she had at a marathon ever. She "took it easy" and ran a 3:42. *sigh* and my ultimate life goal is to run a 5k in under 24 minutes.
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You did amazing! Can't believe you made that time with an injured knee! Nice job working those SF hills ;-)
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Awesome debrief of the race :-) I really enjoy hearing your perspective as a "seasoned pro" at running marathons since I am a newbie. Glad you were able to enjoy SF and I look forward to hearing all about your next one in Long Beach. Congratulations on an amazing time despite the knee issue!
  • arc918
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm thinking the knee was an quick strain rather than a real injury (I certainly hope). I'll know more as I try to run on it tomorrow.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Hope it was a strain that is healed by now and not a serious injury. Never knew bridges are a code word for hills but it makes sense now that I think about it. Hope Long Beach is a flatter course so you can make your 3:30
  • cecrossley
    Options
    Great job! That is so impressive! Bridges are brutal!! I hope you recover quickly!
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Incredible time and you know your pace and body best. The hardest thing for me is pacing myself AND my mind.

Great job, as always!

Hope you knee get's better. that's my biggest fear. *knockonwood* haven't had anything happen yet. But I am not experienced in the marathon dept, yet!
  • raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WOW. I am running my first marathon this December and my goal is to finish in less than 5 hours! LOL! I could never even dream of finishing in 3 and a half hours!! Hahaha
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an EXCELLENT race to me!! Hope the knee recovers quickly, and thanks for the warning about hills :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Nice write up!

And sorry to hear 'bout the knee. I hope it heals quickly.

I know what you mean about bridges — when I worked in Austin, a bicycling buddy from Houston told me that bridges were the only way they could "ride on hills". :-)
  • arc918
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I took an easy run this morning, no knee pain at all.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Damn that sucks! Being a veteran, I'm sure it won't take you long to put it behind you and put the crosshairs on the next one. That's still a stellar performance!

I hope that knee doesn't become a liability. That would suck for sure.
    Great job my man!