Nursing mom who still feels hungry!

Options
So, I am currently nursing my 12 week old daughter. When I signed up on MFP, I didn't see an option for increasing calorie intake because I'm nursing. Should I be adding on some extra calories to my daily limit? If so, how much?

I'm guessing if I do add calories it would only be a few hundred more, but maybe that will help with my hunger b/c most nights I feel so hungry even after I've used up all my calories for the day!

Anyone have any advice for me?? :) Thanks!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard if you search under food for breastfeeding it will give you 300 extra. You just have to add it everyday. Or you could just set your goals under the "custom" option and add 300.

BUT be careful. I could not diet while nursing or my supply would tank and it's hard to recover. Don't be in a huge rush to lose. It's taken me over a year and I'm good with that.
  • Ssbischoff
    Options
    What I did was creat an exercise for nursing and for everyday, I put in 300 claories. Then I ate them back. If you have a lot of weight to lose (you are overweight/obese) you do not have to add calories. But if you are hungry (getting light headed, stomach pangs, sleeping more than ususal...haha you have a 12 week old--this is probably impossible), then you should eat. Your baby will get the nutrients regardless, your body will make sure of that. But, if you're like me, you will lose the weight fast. My son is 11 months old, and I have lost 75 pounds, and I didn't start working out until 3 months ago. Please talk to your doctor...because I am not one, just a nursing mom! These are my expierences.
  • Hily81
    Hily81 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks! That is very good advice. I do appreciate it!
  • Photomandy
    Photomandy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can identify! I searched for a nursing add-on too. I upped my activity level a notch to allow the extra calories. And if I still get hungry after those, I have a few extra almonds or milk or fruit or something healthy.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, you need to add 500 cals/day if you are nursing, plus of course a lot more water. Definitely eat so you can produce enough milk!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My advice is if you are hungry, eat but make sure to eat healthy nutritious options! And drink tons of water! I assume since you didn't mention anything about it, you supply is fine? If it does start to dip, eat oatmeal and drink water, tons of water!
  • Ssbischoff
    Options
    If I remember correctly, you need to add 500 cals/day if you are nursing, plus of course a lot more water. Definitely eat so you can produce enough milk!

This is for healthy, "normal" weight, nursing mothers. Just like when pregnant, if you are a healthy weight, you eat more added calories a day, than someone who is overweight/obeses. My doctor didn't want me to gain any weight because I was obese..where my sister was told to gain 20 lbs because she was "normmal" weight. Listen to your body. You should never go hungry, eat if your hungry.
  • Hily81
    Options
    margieward82,

Yes, so far my milk supply is doing great. I've always been good at that :) ha!

But yes, it's a good reminder for me to drink LOTS of water b/c sometimes I'm not the best at keeping up with that! Thanks so much for the tips!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I believe you are correct, 300 while preggers and 500 while nursing....
    I breastfed until my daughter until she was almost 9 months, broke my heart to give it up! But I worked full time, was pumping like crazy and still had to supplement because I had low milk from nearly day 1 :(
  • BRoth1987
    Options
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    if you eat right, you WILL lose weight while nursing w/o dieting - DO NOT STARVE yourself. You should be at least 2000 calories. I lost weight easiest & was slimmest when I breast fed/kids were young. That's the only time in my life that it actually 'melted' off me.
    Eat 6 small healthy meals - get plenty of protein & calcium - drink gallons of water - I kept gallon jugs of water in my fridge
    avoid caffeine & alcohol and rich foods
    Enjoy this time with your baby - it's over in the blink of an eye ~
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    sorry - duplicated my post!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you add breastfeeding to your food diary it minuses out calories in respect of nursing.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Great info already posted. Here's another good link:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov97p115.html
  • Hily81
    Options
    If you add breastfeeding to your food diary it minuses out calories in respect of nursing.

I can't figure out how to do this!
  • katloaf
    katloaf Posts: 26
    Options
    My baby is 4 1/2 months - I add 500 extra a day, and will start to drop it as she eats solid foods. Sometimes it's enough, but during periods of extreme nursing, I do eat a little more (I've found I sometimes need an extra snack before bed). I've only been doing this a few weeks, but I've had a slow, consistent loss in this time.

To add it - do a search for breastfeeding and add as part of your meals - I usually add it in for breakfast, and it puts in a -500 calorie amount.