Working out with kids?

Options
I'm looking for suggestions- I could take my little girl (three years old) with me to the gym and let her play in the kid's club while I work out, but I only get to see her for 4 to 5 hours a day, so I don't want to lose the time with her. I've been taking her to the park, but the other parents look at me funny when I start playing on the equipment with the kids. We've also been hiking in our area. She's too big to put in a jogging stroller... So, does anyone have any other ideas?

Replies

• thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My four year old daughter and I dance like FOOLS in the living room every chance we get! It's a great workout! :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The other parents look at you funny because it never occurred to them to play with their children at the park. Do it anyway. We all should. :)

Other than that, yes, dancing in the living room is great. My kids like to do Wii Fit Plus with me -- we take turns choosing the activities. Their choices aren't good calorie burners, but I make up for that when I pick mine. Follow the leader can be great exercise, and good for social skills for her.
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I have a 21 month old and I also work so I don't want to miss out on any of the time that I actually do spend with her. I actually work out in my house with the wii (they have some amazing programs). Only 30 mins 4-5 days a week is what I do. If she is down for a nap then I do more. U should should be able to do it that way. Or just have ur child watch you work out, they might end up doing what ur doing lol
  • ohpurdysure
    Options
    I have 2 grand girls.. 3 yr old and a 1 y ear old.. I push them in the double stroller.... or we Youtube for vidoes to dance too and its gets intense and I lift free weights and they dance and call me names hahah aha.. its great..
  • dilemily
    dilemily Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work as an aupair so maybe i have some ideas you can use? If it is good weather then a bike ride is fun, skipping races or skipping games, hopscotch, what time is it mr wolf, racing to the next play area at the opposite end of the park, picking her up and running or spinning round saying supermannnnnn! Or lay on your back, knees bent to chest and put her stomach on your feet, hold her hands and push her to the sky, back to the floor, up to the sky and so on. Kids love a bit of competition, especially if they can beat you, so be imaginative and good luck x
  • murelzgirl
    murelzgirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old daughter too (and a 6 year old son and 9 year old daughter). We love to turn the music up loud and dance around the house, play Dance Central for Kinect, go to the park, and take walks. She also love to do work out videos with me... all of my kids do, actually. They just stand behind me and try to do everything I'm doing. It's cute.
  • Renee0608
    Renee0608 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have a 2.5 and a 5 year old and they LOVE watching me do my Wii Fit Plus! They will play on it after I am done---kids love doing what they see mommy doing! I will run into your problem of working all day soon...I am a stay at home mom now, but am actively job hunting. Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend:)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! There are some really great ideas here. My little one and I spent most of the afternoon dancing and playing hula hoop on the Wii yesterday, and I'm going to incorporate more as the weeks go on. Of course, she initially wasn't very happy that she didn't get to watch Dora, but she'll get over it. I'd rather she have memories of us *doing* stuff rather than memories of sitting on the couch with mommy watching TV!

So thank you again! <3