Hit a Wall

InsaneLuchador
InsaneLuchador Posts: 3 Member
edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
Any advice for someone hitting a wall? My first 30 lbs came off rather quickly in about 6 weeks, the next 10 lbs were a bit more of a struggle, taking about 4 weeks to accomplish. Now the past 3-4 weeks I have hovering at the -40lbs mark and can't seem to break through to the next level.

Replies

• SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    I believe you have reached a plateau, what you could do is change habits because the body isn`t stupid.. I mean, it learns so we need to be smarter.. LMHO... Try changing your workouts; do you go to a gym? Try different classes - I personally love Spinning and Body Combat plus Pump but I am a little bit too hesitant when it comes to classes with more choreography... And if you do free weights, consult and hire a Private Trainer because they sure will kick you WAY OFF that tedious plateau...

Good luck!
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    This won't work for everyone but when I hit a plateau and am still working hard I do a really ( and I mean REALLY ) low sodium day. Eat your normal amount of calories but drink lots of water and try to eat as little sodium as possible (usually on these days I average about 500-1000 mg). This always works for me and is probably a combination of a couple of things. First of all, in order to have such low sodium requires a lot of "whole" foods - nothing processed. Second, it's sort of a "shock" to your body which is said to help kickstart weight loss. Plus you let go of some water weight.
  • Great job on your accomplishments so far! Whenever I hit a wall, I like to add some intense variety to my exercise routine. Something outside my comfort zone is sure to use new muscles and increase my heart rate.

Perhaps you could try a new class at your gym. Last winter, I took up spinning for the first time in a number of years. It was definitely challenging at first (and remains so!), but I loved the "burn" I got from the class, and I felt good about pushing myself to new limits.

This website has some helpful suggestions:

http://womenshealth.about.com/od/fitnessandhealth/a/exercisevariety.htm

As for food, I would suggest the same approach. With a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables this time of year, it's a great opportunity to sample some new, healthy choices!
  • InsaneLuchador
    InsaneLuchador Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for your suggestions. No I don't use a gym.....small town and driving to the city to a gym just isn't economical. Most nights of the week I walk after supper, except on the nights/days I golf, which is once or twice a week. I carry my clubs when I golf to get a little extra from it. Changing things up though is a good thought.....I've been a little hesitant to step up to jogging as I have been recovering from a torn calf muscle, but now might be the time to help get over this hump.

As far as food goes, I would say 80-90% of what I eat now is fresh meat, veggies, and fruit......so very little processed food is consumed as well as quite low sodium consumption
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Thanks for your suggestions. No I don't use a gym.....small town and driving to the city to a gym just isn't economical. Most nights of the week I walk after supper, except on the nights/days I golf, which is once or twice a week. I carry my clubs when I golf to get a little extra from it. Changing things up though is a good thought.....I've been a little hesitant to step up to jogging as I have been recovering from a torn calf muscle, but now might be the time to help get over this hump.

As far as food goes, I would say 80-90% of what I eat now is fresh meat, veggies, and fruit......so very little processed food is consumed as well as quite low sodium consumption

I'd like to view your diary if that's okay.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Take a week off, or a week easy. Work out but not crazy (maybe try something new), eat smart but don't obsess about count, just take a week a little off.
This discussion has been closed.