Looking for healthy recipes using spinach!

Options
sayeo
sayeo Posts: 14 Member
I am on the last day of a 3 day food chemical-balance detox and have lots of spinach/silverbeet left over so im on the hunt for some good healthy recipes to use up my left overs... Can anyone help me out?
Jess xxx

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you could make a green smoothie. Don't have a recipe but if you type it in in the forum search bar tons come up.
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use mine in my scrambled eggs...they are yummy there!!
  • shaverkl191
    Options
    One way that I get rid of extra spinach is by throwing a handful into fruit smoothies. It adds a lot of nutrients to the smoothie and has no flavor so you don't even notice it's there!
  • uvagirl24
    Options
    I make a pepperoni and spinach quiche - I always use as much lowfat/fat free stuff as possible and put in veggies, like red peppers. It's great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • shaverkl191
    Options
    I use mine in my scrambled eggs...they are yummy there!!

I agree! I usually make an omelet and throw in some chopped up spinach, tomatoes, green pepper and a bit of feta cheese!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Spinach and mushroom flat-out pizza with laughing cow cheese is one of my favorite meals!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I am not a smoothie person - I like to chew so I feel like I ate something! I can drink down a smoothy too quickly and it doesn't satisfy. I love tons of baby spinach in eggs, also throw it in pasta dishes, can make into a salad, also chop fine and put with lean ground turkey into meatballs or turkey burgers. I also grate zucchini and add that - along with onion/garlic. Just sauteed is great with bit of garlic and a squeeze of lemon. Yum!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I use spinach like I would lettuce, in salads, on tacos, on sandwiches.

Also, spinach quiche or in a stir fry.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    you can make veggie pizza - with sauce or just drizzle some olive oil over your fave veggies on any pizza crust - I LOVE roma tomatoes & spinach veggie pizza
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Is it raw? I love making spinach salads. Romain and spinach and then lots of veggies. Craisins, blueberries, and strawberries are also good in it. Best dressing, IMO, for that is creamy poppyseed. (1-2 Tbs of dressing won't kill your diet in general, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the detox so don't know how that fits in)

Also spinach quiche is good if it's frozen. I got my recipe from allrecipes.com (don't have it off hand)

Oh yeah, and in place of lettuce on sandwiches. So good!
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    I add spinach to 99% fat free ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast...because the meat is so low in fat it adds the much needed moisture without any added fat when it is cooked
  • elp1920
    elp1920 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like it as a base for a roasted vegetable salad.

Whatever veges you have, roast them (last week for me it was 2 kinds of squash and red peppers). Toss with vinegar and a little olive oil, salt & pepper and you have lunch. I also add a little grated or shaved parmasean sometimes.

Tomorrows lunch will be leftover spinach and arugula (raw) with roasted beets and a small slice of goat cheese on top. A little sherry vinegar on the greens is the only dressing I use when i add the cheese.

I like the suggestions with eggs too - that is my second favorite way to use spinach.
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    2 medium eggs,
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1 canned ham
    1/2 cup of milk
    1 tsp baking soda
    90 grams cheddar cheese
    1 package spinach

cook the spinach, while its cooking. combine the egg, milk and baking soda. Add in the ham and some of the cheese
    When the spinache is done cooking drain it and get any extra moisture out with a cheese cloth or paper towel. Then add to the mixture. Finally mix in the bread crumbs.
    Bake for 15 minutes at 350.
    Add the remaining cheese then bake another 5 minutes at 350.

I divid it into 6.
    so per my servings i get

calories - 167
    Carbs - 10
    Fat - 8
    Protein - 14
    Fiber - 1
    Sodium - 653.

the sodium is so high from the baking soda and the canned ham. You can take out the ham and add mushrooms. Im not sure if you can leave the baking soda out. Im thinking about trying it and seeing if it makes a difference
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I just made a Sauteed Spinach and Red Pepper side dish for dinner. Very easy to make and it was so tasty. You could add mushrooms to the mix if you wanted to. I just added chopped onion.

Yumm...
  • petrapocket
    petrapocket Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with canned tuna, white beans, capers, onions, red peppers and a lemon vinaigrette. It's super satisfying and healthy. I just make the vinaigrette myself by using the juice of half a lemon, adding some shallots, salt, pepper, a little sugar, and olive oil.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My favourite is:
    1 chicken breast, 1 clove of garlic, half a red onion, thyme, saute in olive oil. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 mins. Add spinich and 100ml of light evaported milk. Simmer till spinich wilts, add black pepper. Serve with pasta or quinoa or rice. :)
  • goodbyeexcess
    Options
    I agree with the scrambled eggs. This is what I do -

3/4 cup 99% egg whites - (90 calories, however if you get 100% egg whites there will be less calories)
    1 tbsp red pepper flakes (0 calories)
    As much tabasco sauce as I wish (If u can't tell, I love spicy food lol)
    1 flat out bread tortilla (70 calories)
    Spinach

So I make the eggs in the skillet, add the red pepper flakes, tabasco sauce, and some chopped up pieces of spinach. I mix it all together until it's ready. I line the whole tortilla with spinach, then put the scrambled eggs over that. I add some more hot sauce and then roll it up. BARELY any calories, and AMAZINGLY filling. Delicious.